Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Very loud Creaking from Rear over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Very loud Creaking from Rear over bumps

Well to add to my cars loooooong list of problems, the rear end creaks like a mother, only over speed bumps and other large bumps however. It just started doing this a few weeks ago. As far and I'm concerned, its coming from both sides of the rear. It's kinda hard to describe the sound. You know in horror movies, where the door creak open and close, kinda like that but shorter and quicker. Also in movies where there is a man in one apartment, and the couple in the other are doing the nasty, and the man can hear the creaking bed, it's kinda like that.

So anyone have any ideas on things I can check? the car has 42k miles. Is it possible the bushings have gone bad? Should I lube them or replace them? Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Very loud Creaking from Rear over bumps

Installed any aftermarket springs lately? if yes, you will have to re-seat the "rubber boots".

Or.. your shocks maybe at its end of life..

Old 07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can anyone else shed some light on this? There have been no suspension mods whatsoever. I'm pretty sure this is a problem which you cannot see, but maybe I'm wrong. Is it time for a new suspension (shocks and struts and bushings)?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issues, sprayed some lithum grease on all my bushings and it went away .......... and now it's back.

I have hals, sfc's, lca's, and a panhard rod. Ever since the damn shocks went in they have been so noisy.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, now, how do I tell if the shocks are bad? Can I look at them and see any signs of aging, like liquid on the sides?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

I replaced my shocks at about 70,000 miles. The car seemed to bounce over rough roads and I figured why not replace them. I put in SLP Bilsteins and the car handles so much better after I had them installed.
How many miles are on the current shocks ?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I heard they can leak fluid on the sides if they are dead, if you push the car down it will bounce up and down alot and if you slam on the brakes hard and your car nose dives way too much.

Tips I have heard over time....
Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I still have all stock suspension and the rear (mostly right) of my car started squeaking something fierce over speed bumps and the like (started at about 16k miles). I removed the swaybar mounts, cleaned everything with simple green and coated the inside of the bushings with a very slight amount of anti-seize. It's nice 'n quiet now.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:01 PM
Teching In

i own a 2002 z28 and mine was doing the same thing,go to the dealer and as for a tape kit for rear sway bar bushings used on f-bodys,it will stop the squeaks for good,i tried using silicone paste did not work,the tape is made of teflon,its about $10.00,if you have any questions email me at eddiebarrientes@hotmail.com
Old 08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

2002 I have same going slow over speed bumps but now it's gone again. I'll look at that tape idea if it comes back. Would silicon spray work?
Old 08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most likely your swaybar bushings. I have mine regreased every summer (when the squeaking comes back). I'll have to look into that teflon tape though...seems like it would hold up a bit longer.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure why, but I think the creaking is coming from the front. I push down on the rear end and don't hear a thing. Push on the front and hear the same exact sound. When I go over bumps it sounds like it's from the back. And I only hear it when the rear is going over the bump, don't hear a thing when the front goes over the speed bumps. I think the fix is the same though. Anyone know if this makes sense?

Quick Reply: Very loud Creaking from Rear over bumps