Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front end floats at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front end floats at higher speeds

When I drive my car at higher speeds my front end seems to float and bounce. I am unable to afford Koni's right now and I am not sure if I want to lower my car. My budget is pretty tight right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and I did plenty of searches on this but came up very little but buy Koni's.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your going to have to drop the car to reduce the floating. Maybe some new springs to drop it...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

new shocks should fix it. I always thougt i was going to lose control of the car at higher speeds while cruising down the interstate. I put new Koni Sa's and Some hotchkis springs. The car feels glued to the road
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhzk35404
When I drive my car at higher speeds my front end seems to float and bounce. I am unable to afford Koni's right now and I am not sure if I want to lower my car. My budget is pretty tight right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Oh and I did plenty of searches on this but came up very little but buy Koni's.
slowing down is free.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jsteele90
slowing down is free.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1999Transamman
Your going to have to drop the car to reduce the floating. Maybe some new springs to drop it...
No, good shocks will fix it.

Also, might want to check to make sure the front swaybar is still all completely mounted up correctly.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Transamman
That might make it worse.
Its floaty/disconnected because the shocks cannot damper the springs, they don't have enough rebound control.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pretty much been said here. Shocks will cure the problem.

At highway speeds worn shocks can make things a handful and you don't need anything to crazy to cure the problem. Some new stock shocks will solve the problem for awhile. If you want something that handles a bit better you can get some revalved bilsteins from Strano or you can get his lowering springs and some revalved bilsteins. The next step up would be some Koni SA and Sams springs. From there it just keeps getting more expensive.

As already mentioned a broken endlink on your sway bar can make it hard to control as well.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

As was mentioned, the shocks are what he needs, not springs. He can do springs, but if he can't swing Koni's at this time then he can't really swing a good shock/spring package.

I can't offer Revalves because of the whole Bilstein fiasco with the lack of shocks because of the messed up valvings that have caused the backorder.

We have other options, but what I'd recommend would depend on the future goals. Either Tokico's or KYB AGX's are workable solutions for this issue. I'd opt for Tokico's if he's just trying to fix this floating issue. I'd lean more AGX if he's going to be adding lowering springs to the car and can't or won't later upgrade to Koni's, or if he's more handling minded where he might want the greater control from more rebound damping, and the ability to adjust the shock to best suit him. Keep in mind that Koni's are popular because they give awesome control but with much less harshness than AGX's and are screwed together better.....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

My plans with the car are weekend driving and visiting the track a few times a year. I have looked at KYB's in the past but wasn't sure if they would be right for me. Also if I was to ever lower the car I would use Strano Springs.

Quick Reply: Front end floats at higher speeds