Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Play in steering wheel after alignment was done

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i once had a similar problem in a 5.0 i had. the rubber isolator/rag joint on the intermediate steering shaft (the part that connects from the firewall and extends to the rack and pinion) was shot. it was horrible to drive. very dead until you turned the wheel several degrees. now my SS has a solid shaft with slots at the top and bottom connecting points. so there is no rubber isolator to wear, get brittle and break. something i would look at if i was you.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too fond of NTB either. I rebuilt my suspension (urethane control arm bushings, balljoints, etc on my camaro years ago and took it to NTB for an alignment. I told them I had the entire suspension off the front of the car and that I was sure camber, caster, and toe will all have to be set. I got the car back and the only thing they set was the toe, the before and after caster and camber were the same. The caster and camber were way off. After looking at the sheet I told them they need to redo it, cause all they did was set the "toe and let it go." They redid the aligment and I sat there and watched the tech do it. Now that I am a tech I do them myself. On another note, I had wrecked my dumdumdumdum recently and messed up some of the front suspension. My dad's friend did the work and sent the car down to NTB, that's who does the alignments for him and I didn't have time to mess with it. I gave them specific measurements since I had just done the alignment before I wrecked the car. Got the car back and they got the front close, but they only set the rear toe and camber was way off. So all in all, I don't trust NTB a lick. I know it's all in the tech that's doing the work, but I have never had any luck. You know it's done right when you do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Play in steering wheel after alignment was done