Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Problem??? !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problem??? !!!

For the past year or so I have had an issue with my car wanted to severly pull to the left. I had my car alined and it still did it so i took it back to the alinement shop and they took me out there and showed that all of the marks were in the right ranges. I have directional tires but I have tried them in every tire position you can and it still pulls to the left. Im not to sure what the problem could be if its not the alinement or the tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated and how i could fix this problem.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone???
Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

go to a new shop or DIY. You have a worn/bent part, bad tire or bad alignment. That's all it could be. I would inspect everything myself.

Uneven Caster is the usual cause if it's the alignment. Camber could too, but toe will not cause a pull.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be a bad tie rod end.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

my steering too feels like crap, the shop I took my car to, did a great job on the rear of the car, but I really do not like how it handles up front and I just replaced the inner tie rods (MOOG)
go to a new shop or DIY.
DIY, really how do you go about that?

Uneven Caster is the usual cause if it's the alignment.
the shop I took my car to said you want more caster on the one side or the othe based on which direction it pulls, is that bullshit?? I would think you would want the caster to be even so the car drives straight?

Also I have seen comments about the new hunter machines do not require locking the steering wheel, so they do a poor job of aligning the car,
I am pretty sure the shop I went to used this system
Old 03-23-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

With equal caster and camber, the car will pull to the side that the road is leanning....very slightly. Crowned roads may give you a push back and forth as well.

I have a caster-camber bubble gauge and use a tape measure to do toe-in. It takes quite abit of time to get a feel for measuring and making adjustments, as one change will affect the others, but you get good at it with time...LOTS OF TIME.

You need a very level surface to do caster/camber, but not toe. It saves alot of money in the end and you don't have to deal with idiots.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

oh I understand that
With equal caster and camber, the car will pull to the side that the road is leanning....very slightly. Crowned roads may give you a push back and forth as well.
but the people at the shop I took my car to, said uneven caster would adjust for the car, itself, pulling to one side

I would have thought you want the caster to be even, then adjust(steer) for the road while driving

I mean unless my frame is bent should there be any reason to have uneven caster? (right now mine is 4.5 and 4.8, drivers/passenger side)

also will adjusting the camber from -1 to like -1.5 and setting the toe in just slightly just a couple tenths of a degree help my car track better and feel less loose in the steering wheel?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
Also I have seen comments about the new hunter machines do not require locking the steering wheel, so they do a poor job of aligning the car,
I am pretty sure the shop I went to used this system
The digital hunter machine is awesome... My stepfather owns a body/mechanical shop that is top notch and he has one... You don't lock the wheel in because you turn the tires so that it gets a digital reading with it in different positions... If they used this machine then they should have (or were atleast able to) give you a print out of a before and after showing where and how bad your car was out and how it is now..
Old 03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

The digital hunter machine is awesome... My stepfather owns a body/mechanical shop that is top notch and he has one... You don't lock the wheel in because you turn the tires so that it gets a digital reading with it in different positions... If they used this machine then they should have (or were atleast able to) give you a print out of a before and after showing where and how bad your car was out and how it is now..
have the specs, -1.0 camber on both sides, 4.5 caster on drivers, 4.8 on passenger, I think the toe was 0 on both sides

well since this machine is doing a decent job aligning my car, why does it feel like crap on the street

its loose
and seems to pull very slightly to one side