Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can I Lower My Car?? (Tire Issue)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Lower My Car?? (Tire Issue)

Well I have a slight dilemma. I want to lower my car once I get my tax refund back from the Gov't, but the prior owner of my car installed tires that are wayyyyyyyy too big IMO. They are 255/40/19, or a 27.x overall total rolling diameter. Stock is 25.7 correct?

Now I want to lower by pref a sportline drop, but I think I'm going to run into major issues because of these tires. Am I correct in this assumption? The wheel offset is a 38 and they are 8'' wide.

I don't want to buy new 19'' tires yet because I'm not sure if I want to get new wheels yet, or what wheels I would get.

Let me know if I am in fact able to lower the car, or if I'm better to wait until I get either 255/35/19 tires or new wheels and tires.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep you are gonna have major issues with sportline drop, you should wait and get new wheels, got pics of your car besides the one in your sig?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Yea, in my sig the car is lowered by Adobe....know what I mean.

Heres more pics.

I just wanted to get my springs/shocks now because I know thats the combo I want to go with. Decided wheels, yea, that migh take me a long time.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say it, but those 27" tall tires and sportlines isn't going to happen. But you already know that

Did you ever use a tuner or anything to correct your speedometer with the taller tires? According to my calculations it is about 5% off...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Nope not yet, bought the car the way you see it (for the most part) in November, I've driven it maybe, 3-4 days. Fixing all the stuff that was rigged, broken or non existant.

I need to get a new CC so I can order a ALDL cable and tunercat this thing. Then if I still have the these monster truck tires, I will correct it. As is I just go slow everywhere.

Thanks for the input guys, I was 99% sure I was SOL, but wanted to verify just to be sure (as I am wrong 99% of the time)

The need to buy list grows yet again..... LOL.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would say just leave it. it looks good the way it is but appearance is always up the owner.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

get the prokit springs and you will be fine. It will be low enough sportlines go way too low no matter what tires you are running.

I have 275/35/19s on the rear of my car which are too tall (should be a 30 series) - between the tires i have and the ones you have there is approx .4" difference - i have the prokit drop and i have no rubbing issues
Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

They don't look that bad but I like wide wheels better than tall, wide wheels fit and look awesome on f-bodies IMO.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Breathtaker
They don't look that bad but I like wide wheels better than tall, wide wheels fit and look awesome on f-bodies IMO.
I tend to agree 110%, If they were 9.5 or better 10.5 out back I'd keep em and get the right tires, but there not.

I really want a 18x10.5 out back and 18x9.5 up front. Something like C6 Vette Wheels, or any nice 5 spoke.

But then theres days I want a lip, or this, or that etc etc. Its my ADD going nuts, can't land on on wheel. I have these wheels/tires locally for sale at 1200 CDN, if I get a bite, I'll take it and buy something new. But I'm not going to withdraw my own money unless I know 100%

Guess I'm not lowering the car just yet, because I know I won't be happy with less then a 1.5'' drop (pro kit or the like). Least I'm sure of that.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Laffs
I tend to agree 110%, If they were 9.5 or better 10.5 out back I'd keep em and get the right tires, but there not.

I really want a 18x10.5 out back and 18x9.5 up front. Something like C6 Vette Wheels, or any nice 5 spoke.

But then theres days I want a lip, or this, or that etc etc. Its my ADD going nuts, can't land on on wheel. I have these wheels/tires locally for sale at 1200 CDN, if I get a bite, I'll take it and buy something new. But I'm not going to withdraw my own money unless I know 100%

Guess I'm not lowering the car just yet, because I know I won't be happy with less then a 1.5'' drop (pro kit or the like). Least I'm sure of that.
Now you're thinking.