Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake issues-pics enclosed-need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues-pics enclosed-need help ASAP

Have a 2000 TA with Baer Eradispeed Rotors, well the whole Brake package- GT plus, and EBC red stuff pads. When I stop the car shimmys a bit and hops like the brakes are ****. However when the brakes are warm-for example if I ride the brakes for a few seconds and then stop it stops better. I removed the rotors and pads to check everything out and everything looks to be in great shape. The rotors have no cuts really and are smooth and the pads are dead even on both sides?? What gives? I have everything off-was going to get Hawk HPS pads and get the rotors turned but looks like they don't need it unless there is some warpage-how can I tell? I spun them on the hub and they look even. Please check out the pics. The brakes were put on by the previous owner but prob have a total of like 10-15k on them and 6 passes at the track.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the rotors are warped
Old 03-20-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

thats what I was thinking but they are not that old and are baers-thought only cheap rotors warp...can they be cut?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Cold performance pads don't act as they should until they reach the manufacturers operating temperature range.How does everything act when they're warmed up?
Slide a large fine flat file on the rotors' pad contact surface,if it's warped the file will have small few contact points.The ridge that exists from non-contact has to be removed first before a flat file test can be done.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Got the rotors cut and purchased Hawk HPS Pads. Just broke them in and all seems okay. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad they are now working OK.

Bill
Old 03-25-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Bill,

Thanks they were working okay...now that I have a few miles on them maybe 100 or so the passenger side is making noise-more like a vibration. When I look at both rotors it seems that the top half is rubbing or doing the breaking and the bottm isn't. The pads look small since I have the Baer Eradispeeds. I looked at the crap pads I took off and they look a bit bigger? Anyone else have this problem? I have the right part number HB249F.575..weird...When worn area is smooth and the rest is also smooth but like its not touched by the pads, and feels like it was when it was cut.

Here are the pics, you can def see the difference. The second pic shows the caliper and the gap the pad has.

Last edited by Surferd15; 03-25-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Guys please look at the recent pics and let me know what you think, I've done brakes alot but never had this problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Well I torn the brakes apart again. I spun the rotors and by eyesight it looks like they are not even all the way around, but its hard to tell since the lugs were off and the rotor had some play. I took the Hawk pads off and made sure they were the correct part number and they were. Looking at the pads the inner pad is smooth but on the outer side on both sides its worn on the top of the pad and not the bottom. Also on the top there is a ridge where the top of the rotor was rubbing...so I said **** it and put the PBRs back on...broke them in and no noise, rubbing or anything just good braking. I am going to bring the Hawks back and bitch and hopefully get a new set. I am going to leave the PBRs on for a week and see if they hold up. If they do then the pads were the problem. Not sure why, I followed the break in procedure to the T, and have done about 15 brake jobs so far without any issues. Only other thing I can think of is the Baer calipers have a bolt that tightens into the pin that that has a spot where you can put a wrench on it and bolt the holding bolt into the pin. I made sure these were tight, last time I tighten them till the pin spun, but this time I used a box wrench to hold it. I will update this thread in week, in case can use this info in the future.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Are the HPS's part numbers for stock calipers? I ask 'cuz it looks as if the Baer pads are definately bigger, and the contact patch indicates you have less pad contacting the rotor surface.

Give a call to Baer and find out what pads they recommend for use with the system you have.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

I am not sure, I know guys run Hawk pads with the Baer brakes but not sure what pads they use. The pads noew are PBR, part number is faded on all so I can't read it. I will def. contact Baer and ask em. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Camaro SS,

You were right thanks for the suggestion! The part number is for stock brake setups. The one I need is the brake pad used for 97-07 Corvettes, The hawk part number is HB247F.575. I am going to take the other ones back and get the correct ones. Thanks again!

Drew

Quick Reply: Brake issues-pics enclosed-need help ASAP