Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ProKit front with Sportline rear springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ProKit front with Sportline rear springs?

Ok, first off. I know i'm gonna hear "just get Strano springs" I like the Strano springs, but want a lower ride. I think the sportline's front is way too low, and the ProKit's rear is too low because it sags. Will there be any problems/issues from running a pair of ProKit front springs with Sportline rear springs? (on stock shocks for now, will upgrade them later) I'm afraid the sportline's will just damage any shocks I put on it, unless I pay out the ****.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought sportlines were supposed to be lower than prokits. I've heard some people mention the sportlines and prokits were the same in the rear.. not sure what the true answer to that is, but I dont think adding sportline rears is going to raise the rear up...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

pro kit front, cut the rear stock springs to the exact height you want it, cuz it takes 2 seconds to pull them out if you need to re-cut it. no joke

people will be like...nonononono, dont do that blah blah. but seriously, i have been in f bods with cut springs, i think it rides better than my pro kit (my rear pro kit springs are too soft)

BTW, i know there are better options, but money is a factor for most people as well
Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the sportlines right now. I HATE the negative camber on the fronts. I think the rear stance on the sportlines is PERFECT. Prokit fronts look good, and doesnt seem to camber the wheel in like the sportlines. The front sportlines are also too damn rough. If the seller on here keeps the springs, I can get the front prokits for $80. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Originally Posted by zach_ws6
BTW, i know there are better options, but money is a factor for most people as well
Exactly. Being a college student and modding is not easy to juggle.

Got any idea how this combo might perform?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO, the spring rates on the Sportlines is way too soft. I would rather see you do the Prokit with the heater hose mod, rather than have soft, bouncy springs in the back.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Prokit rear springs sag was too much
Old 03-22-2008, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sportlines are lower then the Pro Kit, so adding the Sportlines to the rear will make the front higher and you would have a lot of rear sag. I would say if you really wanted to do that, do the opposite, Pro Kit in the rear and Sportlines in the front.

I am not a fan of the Sportlines, the rates are no good, ride is terrible and they are just to low. They mess the suspension geometry up to much as well.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Prokit front and Sportlines rear??? your shocks are gonna cry and scream for help.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, so far a couple people have read my post opposite..

I currently have Sportlines installed. Want ProKit FRONTS only.

Again, I want to know what problems it would cause. So it would just wear out the shocks?
Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HoLLo

Again, I want to know what problems it would cause. So it would just wear out the shocks?
Like Ryan from UMI said why would you want to add the Prokit to the front with Sportlines in the rear??? it will make the front higher and look terrible, also like you said, it would definitely wear out the shocks a lot quicker.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't think the front would look any higher than the rear.. But what if i had some Bilsteins or Koni's on there?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't think the front would look any higher than the rear..
...why?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Because the rear on a Sportline really isnt that low
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone else have any input on this spring combo?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

im saving up for a downpayment for a house, so like you, money is an issue right now. ive been riding on prokit all around, and the rear sag. its not a reverse rake yet, but it feels like its on the verge of it. im seriously considering putting my stock rears in without the isolators and possibly cutting off a coil or two. i wouldnt mine a slight raked stance.

as for ride quality, the prokit rears ride like ****. when the fronts hit a small bump its fine, but as soon as the rears hit the entire car shudders. imo, stock rear springs and decarbons handled bumps MUCH better.

oh, and prokit and sportline springs have the same spring rates. if i remember correctly, theyre even the same part number.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both suck a$$
Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sportlines and prokit suckass, get strano springs
Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I am continually amazed how looks seem to rule the roost. Never mind what works, what looks good is what matters. You might not think my spring are low enough. That's cool because my springs aren't about, and were never meant to be "lowering" springs, but rather handling springs. The height is what it is because it's what works best.

If you want to lower the car so much that you basically sit on the bumpstops, and don't have nearly enough spring rate to keep from banging off the too soon and way too hard, then your plan is perfect. And while shocks can help a terrible ride, they are dampers. They are not springs, and do not take the place of springs. Putting a supercharger on an Aveo might make it faster... it's still an Aveo. Putting good shocks on will still help, but you can only do so much with junk springs.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by phantazn
oh, and prokit and sportline springs have the same spring rates. if i remember correctly, theyre even the same part number.
They are not the same part number. And the rates in front are different. The rates in the rear are the same, but the Sportlines are even shorter. And when shorten the travel you need more rate to offset that, Sportlines don't have a prayer. LS1 Pro-kits when you get a set that's actually a 1.25" drop like they are supposed to be are fine, but when you get the 1.5-1.75" ones (and you don't know, just poor QC causing the flucuations), the rate isn't NEARLY enough. Sportlines are simply more of the same.

I hate to be a buzz-kill here, but it's pretty stupid to be picking dynamic, at work, parts that effect ride, handling and stability based on looks. Pick paint colors that way, body parts, even wheels to some extent, but not parts that actually matter.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't get it... you said that the front and rear is too low right now. You said the prokit is too low because it sags, so to fix it you're going to add sportlines????

Opinions that sportlines are **** aside:

prokit = too low to you

prokit height > sportline height

So to fix the prokit being too low in the back, you're going to add even lower sportline springs to fix it.... are you trying to f*** with our heads here?

Quick Reply: ProKit front with Sportline rear springs?