Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hit curb, huge positive camber

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit curb, huge positive camber

Well i jumped the curb a week ago. I went down to have it aligned and the before specs are as follows.

Left
camber: -.03
caster: 6.5
toe: -0.37

Right
camber: 4.1
caster: 7.7
toe: -0.30

Obviously you can tell i hit the right front tire the hardest. I gave the guy some specs for the alignment and he got the left somewhat close but had trouble getting the right side camber down.

Left
camber: -.05
caster: 6.5
toe: -0.01

Right
camber: 2.4
caster: 7.7
toe: -0.01

He said that the camber on the right tire was maxed out and that he thought something might be bent. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be bent. If he lowered the caster to around 4.5 could he get the camber within spec. I am an alignment newbie and have no clue what to look for. I looked around and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Please help
Old 07-25-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hit curb, huge positive camber

I'd suspect a bent control arm. Most likley the lower one. Bending the lower control arm will cause positive camber. If the control arm is not bent, than it is attached to something that is bent. I hope the control arm bent to save the mounting points. Pull the wheel and make sure the lower control arm is not kinked. It may not be visible and could still have a nasty impact on alignment, but I suspect you will see it (I'm suprised the alignment guy didn't). I'd not drive it far like it is, you will destroy that tire quickly.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and checked out my front right suspension and couldn't find any broken or bent peices. My car has a stb, bilstein revalves, eibach pro-kit, and a st 35mm front sway bar. Where exactly should i look for a bent peice. I am trying to save some money and diagnose/fix problem on my own so all the help is appreciated.

Front right suspension looking from the front.

front right suspension looking from behind
Old 07-27-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, Look at the area around the "lowest point" in that picture. It is hard to say from a photo (we are not talking about much of a bend to have that impact on your alignment), I suspect that you may have a bend there that is slightly more than normal.

If it were me, I'd locate another control arm and swap it out. Take it back to the alignment shop and see if it helps at all. If not, you may have much larger problems. Just my thoughts....

Quick Reply: Hit curb, huge positive camber