Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque arm for S60...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28 justin
Awesome. I was worried for a sec I might have messed something up. Thanks Ryan!
Nope

That is what we do here as well and recommend to all customers looking for additional clearance.

Thanks again for using UMI!

Ryan
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am fighting tunnel hitting issues with my bmr normal adjustable torque arm. We cut the bracket think correctly. THe picture on bmr website says don't apply to the regular torque arm just extreme or something but I have normal chrome moly adjustable torque arm. So cut it how we thought we should. I have 4l80 auto crossemember and getting hitting front and rear places. We moved over the rearend a bit with adjustable panhard but still hitting. We have not tried the Big Frakin hammer but that is next. We are going to try lowering the front in its holes to also maybe gain a bit more clearance and possibly put a thicker shim in the front mount. Also wondering how much noise is transmitted thru the poly bushing and if anyone makes rubber one.
I have some noises in my car that don't like and think some are from the torque arm rubbing and hitting and maybe some from the torque arm bushing possibly the way of mounting to the crossmeber but with 4l80 and big power don't want the torque arm off the trans even if could put it there.

I was almost thinking to swap my spohn torque arm off my 96z to try it but would have to cut its bracket.

I think would like to buy a precut bracket from bmr that will fit the strange dana 60 and
give me best clearance possible with the tunnel. I am bit unclear on whether inner or outer holes also counts on the bmr torque arm like the umi question.

I just want a quiet car!

Bmr if you can sell me another properly precut torque arm bracket would buy that I think.
My torque arm is red! Also be looking at getting a new k member modified for my aps turbo kit like Lee is making for Barnat . Will want to pick that up over the winter for sure.

BMR you should post diagrams with revised instructions on proper cut for the normal bmr torque arm with the dana 60.

Also on the subject not sure whats up but we had to put in several pretty thick shims under the trans mount to get the back of my 4l80 tailshaft to not go into the driveshaft yoke at really bad angle. Not sure if this is do to the 4l80 to dana 60 swap or to using wrong mount..just used trans mount from my t56 car it seemed to work ok. Tried poly mount first but it was horrible for vibration.

Also on the torque arm installation instructions not very clear on back horizontal top bolts. Are they supposed to stay loose when things are all adjusted up or let the torque arm swivel up and down..not sure if explaining that right..Also the big horizontal bolt also was hitting the trans tunnel was thinking to shave that one down if don't bang trans tunnel up.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I am fighting tunnel hitting issues with my bmr normal adjustable torque arm. We cut the bracket think correctly. THe picture on bmr website says don't apply to the regular torque arm just extreme or something but I have normal chrome moly adjustable torque arm. So cut it how we thought we should. I have 4l80 auto crossemember and getting hitting front and rear places. We moved over the rearend a bit with adjustable panhard but still hitting. We have not tried the Big Frakin hammer but that is next. We are going to try lowering the front in its holes to also maybe gain a bit more clearance and possibly put a thicker shim in the front mount. Also wondering how much noise is transmitted thru the poly bushing and if anyone makes rubber one.
I have some noises in my car that don't like and think some are from the torque arm rubbing and hitting and maybe some from the torque arm bushing possibly the way of mounting to the crossmeber but with 4l80 and big power don't want the torque arm off the trans even if could put it there.

I was almost thinking to swap my spohn torque arm off my 96z to try it but would have to cut its bracket.

I think would like to buy a precut bracket from bmr that will fit the strange dana 60 and
give me best clearance possible with the tunnel. I am bit unclear on whether inner or outer holes also counts on the bmr torque arm like the umi question.

I just want a quiet car!

Bmr if you can sell me another properly precut torque arm bracket would buy that I think.
My torque arm is red! Also be looking at getting a new k member modified for my aps turbo kit like Lee is making for Barnat . Will want to pick that up over the winter for sure.

BMR you should post diagrams with revised instructions on proper cut for the normal bmr torque arm with the dana 60.

Also on the subject not sure whats up but we had to put in several pretty thick shims under the trans mount to get the back of my 4l80 tailshaft to not go into the driveshaft yoke at really bad angle. Not sure if this is do to the 4l80 to dana 60 swap or to using wrong mount..just used trans mount from my t56 car it seemed to work ok. Tried poly mount first but it was horrible for vibration.

Also on the torque arm installation instructions not very clear on back horizontal top bolts. Are they supposed to stay loose when things are all adjusted up or let the torque arm swivel up and down..not sure if explaining that right..Also the big horizontal bolt also was hitting the trans tunnel was thinking to shave that one down if don't bang trans tunnel up.
Give me a call here at the office.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is good to know because I have an S60 new UMI adjustable TA, UMI a
TA relocation trans xmember to install and it's good to know I won't have to worry about any fitment issues.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
This is good to know because I have an S60 new UMI adjustable TA, UMI a
TA relocation trans xmember to install and it's good to know I won't have to worry about any fitment issues.
Hello
Thanks for the business with UMI Performance! Like mentioned above you should not have any problems. If you have any other questions or concerns during the installation feel free to get in touch with me and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-12-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Midwest Chassis has one that isn't really advertised. When I ordered my S60, Eric asked me what T/A I was going to be running. I replied with: stock but that I would like to upgrade later. Come to find out, he makes one that fits S60s great. I don't recall them being cheap, but anything Eric makes is atom-bomb proof (like their 9" rear end), and is built to hold up to nasty horsepower and bracket racing... kinda the opposite of what Edelbrock makes, lol.

Second to what he makes, he recommended the BMR extreme or the BMR trac-pack (or what ever it is). That all came from the mouth of a horse that knows Fbodies, big power, and sub 1.40 60' times.

Quick Reply: Torque arm for S60...