Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

non-technical... brake line question... options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-technical... brake line question... options?

i am in the process of cleaning my engine bay up a little and one things that is really annoying me is the stock brake lines. what should i do?... they look to me like they would be pretty easy to replace... does anyone make a kit with braided lines for these? i know earls sells the parts, but does anyone have a kit with everything or at least most the stuff? my friend just replaced all his in his 68 camaro and ordered everything for the entire car in a kit, all pre-bent (other then the bend in the middle to fit in the box). I cant get up with him right now cause he just started at the police academy. i dont need to replace the entire braking system. i just want to replace the parts visible in the engine bay. please help me out guys. thanks in advance.

o and yes i know the brakes need to be bled after installed. lol.
Attached Thumbnails non-technical... brake line question... options?-100_1486.jpg   non-technical... brake line question... options?-100_1487.jpg  
Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never replace hard lines with braided or other expandable material. Your brakes will loose effeciency.

If you need hard lines, fittings or other components, I can provide any components that you'll need. Call me at my office on Monday if you need further assistance.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

i kinda figured that. is there a kit that is the hardlines with like a braided jacket tho?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always polish them, makes em look 10x better.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that I'm aware of. About the only thing you could do is put some fake looking covers on it which looks sort of funny in my opinion. You could put a coat of aluminum spray paint on it as well...that will help clean it up a bit. You can't just polish it...its steel and it would rust rather quickly again.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Look for a streetrod parts supplier. You can get the hardline and fittings in stainless. Then you can polish to your hearts content. As a side note it can be very difficult to double flare stainless tubing.

Or you could I suppose put #4 or #5 AN with tube nuts over the bundy flex stuff from the local parts store if you really want the braided look.

As a general rule, in any braking system I try to use the absolute minimum amount of flex hose required to perform the job.