Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone been disappointed with Tokico or KYB AGX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone been disappointed with Tokico or KYB AGX?

I talked to Sam on the phone today about getting new shocks and I understand from talking to him that Koni is most definitely the better shock in control, build quality, and warranty. However, I was unable to come to a decision about whether Koni is right for me.

My car is bone stock. Stock shocks and springs. I'm not going to replace the springs. It walks all over the place and it jumps all over the place over bumps and I get a lot of wheel hop (which I understand is not completely due to the shocks, but Sam said bad shocks can contribute to it). I don't autocross or go to the track, but I would say I somewhat beat on my car, taking off at every light, making my tires squeal on corners, swinging my rear end out when I take some corners, etc.

Anyone with similar goals tried Tokico HPs (or Illuminas if they make 'em for our cars) or KYB AGX and been disappointed? Or how about tried them and thought they were great? Anyone ever compare them to Konis? I read some various other posts on other forums that I found through Google and seemed to say Koni > Tokico Illumina > KYB AGX > Tokico HP, though I didn't see anyone that had experience with all of them, and also, the forums weren't about F-bodies.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my KYB-AGX. Very easy to adjust. I had similiar issues as you state and I have stock springs. While it won't give you a 1000.00 race suspension the handling around corners goes way up and the rear wheel traction improves as well although not as much as the front end handles better. I set the fronts stiffer and the rears almost maxed out on softness which is still better than stock decarbons. I was in the same boat and figured I don't have a race car so Koni's where not justified in my gains:price calculation.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I ordered some Tokico HPs today (decided that I really ought to not spend more than I have to), not from Sam because he unfortunately didn't have the fronts in stock, but I'll report back on how they are once I get 'em running.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that would be good to know for the next guy. Props
Old 04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

I got just the rears in so far. I'll get the fronts in along with new rotors and pads this weekend. I gotta say, though, the rears alone make a HUGE improvement Like it's a whole new car. I don't know how much better my stock shocks were when they were new (they had 92k when I took them out) but they held pressure quite well. In fact, perhaps too well, because they were quite hard to compress by hand at all.

I can't compare to KYBs or Konis or Bilsteins, though, because I've never run any of those. But I am so far happy with the Tokicos. I'll update again when I get the fronts done.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I talked to Sam on the phone today about getting new shocks and I understand from talking to him that Koni is most definitely the better shock in control, build quality, and warranty. However, I was unable to come to a decision about whether Koni is right for me.

My car is bone stock. Stock shocks and springs. I'm not going to replace the springs. It walks all over the place and it jumps all over the place over bumps and I get a lot of wheel hop (which I understand is not completely due to the shocks, but Sam said bad shocks can contribute to it). I don't autocross or go to the track, but I would say I somewhat beat on my car, taking off at every light, making my tires squeal on corners, swinging my rear end out when I take some corners, etc.

Anyone with similar goals tried Tokico HPs (or Illuminas if they make 'em for our cars) or KYB AGX and been disappointed? Or how about tried them and thought they were great? Anyone ever compare them to Konis? I read some various other posts on other forums that I found through Google and seemed to say Koni > Tokico Illumina > KYB AGX > Tokico HP, though I didn't see anyone that had experience with all of them, and also, the forums weren't about F-bodies.
My KYB's handle and ride great!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im still on the stockers(17000 miles). handling is subjective like exhaust tone. if your happy all is good.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanna know the results of the front.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZDOG
im still on the stockers(17000 miles). handling is subjective like exhaust tone. if your happy all is good.
like the sound of running over cones? lol
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

doesnt matter the shock with some people, either you can drive or you cant. do i plan on changing my stockers.....yes. to what thats the ?. i can afford konis but do i need them for how i drive. thats the real ?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZDOG
doesnt matter the shock with some people, either you can drive or you cant. do i plan on changing my stockers.....yes. to what thats the ?. i can afford konis but do i need them for how i drive. thats the real ?
i can afford konis, lowering springs, cam, and ccw's, but is it really worth it to spend that much $$$$...hell no.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have always had good results from the Tokico shocks on stock height cars and with our lowering springs. Ifeel they are one of the best options out there for the money.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

I am ordering a set of KYBs very soon myself
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Love My KYB's had them on the car for 3 years. Its not a DD but they are great for what I need.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anything is better than the stockers. KYBs only drawback is that they adjust the rebound and compression simultaneously.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06BAIT
We hear a lot of complaints about the KYBs even though we tell them they are not a great choice for our cars. Since picking up the BMR line, we've had a lot of happy customers with the Tokico shocks and BMR lowering springs and just started carrying the Tokico line again.
interesting, i wonder if anyone else has this combo...bmr/tokico
Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not keen on recommending the Tokico's for a lowered car. Just not enough oomph, and Tokico is pretty bad in terms of warranty service.... actually they suck beyond belief.

Tokico "blues" which are all that's available for the front of the 4th gen and they are ok. I use and recommend them as decent replacement shocks, but after year of dealing with them, they aren't really ideal for springs. They work ok, but admittedly I aim for something higher, and at least with adjustables you have the ability to have some control over what you get as a result.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm not keen on recommending the Tokico's for a lowered car. Just not enough oomph, and Tokico is pretty bad in terms of warranty service.... actually they suck beyond belief.

Tokico "blues" which are all that's available for the front of the 4th gen and they are ok. I use and recommend them as decent replacement shocks, but after year of dealing with them, they aren't really ideal for springs. They work ok, but admittedly I aim for something higher, and at least with adjustables you have the ability to have some control over what you get as a result.
Do any of the konis have warranty?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

They both have lifetime warranties... the difference is Koni actually honors theirs. Ironically, I just hung up with a man with a set of Tokico's that needed warrantied, and Tokico would not handle it directly, they sent him back to me. But I can't help him because the warehouse I bought from when he got his shocks no longer carries Tokico, and the other vendors will not warranty other folks items (and rightly so). The warranty is a manufactuer's warranty, not anyone else's but Tokico will not do what should be done.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
They both have lifetime warranties... the difference is Koni actually honors theirs. Ironically, I just hung up with a man with a set of Tokico's that needed warrantied, and Tokico would not handle it directly, they sent him back to me. But I can't help him because the warehouse I bought from when he got his shocks no longer carries Tokico, and the other vendors will not warranty other folks items (and rightly so). The warranty is a manufactuer's warranty, not anyone else's but Tokico will not do what should be done.
Wow, that's dumb, thx for the info. Believe it or not i've had a shock snap on me with normal driving, so this is good to know.

Quick Reply: Anyone been disappointed with Tokico or KYB AGX?