Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front and Rear brake upgrades for my CCWs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front and Rear brake upgrades for my CCWs

So I'm thinking about doing some front and rear brake upgrades for my CCWs. What choices do I have? CCWs are 505as 18x10 front 18x11

I would like to go with Willwood, but I hear the rears don't work with TCS.

What do you think?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

No replies huh?

Prolly non of the aftermarket brakes work with the TCS huh?
Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AP Racing and Wilwood are the only 2 kits that have a front/rear kit available that i know of...
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
AP Racing and Wilwood are the only 2 kits that have a front/rear kit available that i know of...
Thanks, I'll check out AP racing. It's just too bad Wilwoods don't work with our TCS.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

AP kits are very $$$ and hard to find anyone carrying them..
Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Plus AP's will yield very little improvment over any other of the big brake kits and probably nothing your performance will realise (don't get me wrong, I have them on another car, but they aren't going to make the car stop much better on their own, nor will any aftermarket big brake kits for the matter).

Also, this car is heavily rear baised from the factory, so If anything, you need to be cautious of rear brake kits. They're almost always not necessary on the F-body. Try giving StopTech a call for asking why they haven't designed nor recommend a rear brake caliper and rotor upgrade. Their website shall easily have some information why it's not always a good idea to modify brake systems.

With what's stated, this car is a street car, so this will mostly be for looks. In this case, if you get a front kit, you could easily get a your rear calipers painted to match the fronts, and purchase rear rotors with their hats painted to match as as well.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 04-23-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Plus AP's will yield very little improvment over any other of the big brake kits and probably nothing your performance will realise (don't get me wrong, I have them on another car, but they aren't going to make the car stop much better on their own, nor will any aftermarket big brake kits for the matter).

Also, this car is heavily rear baised from the factory, so If anything, you need to be cautious of rear brake kits. They're almost always not necessary on the F-body. Try giving StopTech a call for asking why they haven't designed nor recommend a rear brake caliper and rotor upgrade. Their website shall easily have some information why it's not always a good idea to modify brake systems.

With what's stated, this car is a street car, so this will mostly be for looks. In this case, if you get a front kit, you could easily get a your rear calipers painted to match the fronts, and purchase rear rotors with their hats painted to match as as well.

what brake kit do you recommend for a car thats DD and also gets used heavily in the canyons and open track events (~1/2 hour sessions)?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah yes, great question.

I approach it this way. With the stock brake system, I upgraded several bits at a time (first being the obvious what strano recommends). When you perfrom your regular activities as you mention, remember to keep in mind your brake rotor and pad temps, brake fluid temp, and the overall brake performance.

If somehow that your temps are getting way hot, and/or you're getting major brake fade, you may want to either replace the pads, or select another.

And if pad changes still won't cut it, then you definitely should consider a big brake kit.

I completely speak this from experience, which is why my old brake review in one of the stickies should've been upgraded, since I discovered that a stock brake system with the good pads, fresh DOT 5.1 brake fluid, Brembo blanks was still able to consistently able to brake later in the corners than my big brake kit did. This sounds weird, however I was open tracking for approx. 45 min to an hour just to see if I could get the temps high enough to experience even slightest amount of fade (which is mostly revealed by corner times, and less by feel when it begins).

Now once I converted my older DD V6 into a V8 LSx track car, then I really began to take advantage of it's performance, but still left the stock brakes on. When I did, no matter what race pad I used, the temps really got out of control. Then it became obvious that I needed a big brake kit, so I decided to swap my BBK off of my street vehicle and place it on my track car, then placed the stock caliper with brembo blanks and HPS pads on, including the DOT 5.1 (NOT the impcompatible DOT 5) on my daily driver. It was then that the obvious benefit to the BBK was it's temperature management, but nevertheless if you have a ***** pad, you'll have ***** brake performance.

That's my 2 cents so far.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

gotcha. ya, i just upgraded to SS lines, ATE super blue, and carbotech race pads front/back with stocks replacement rotors...they work great, but on a full weight+ car, in some canyons (mainly going downhill) i still get fade close to the bottom havent had the chance to get onto a track with the setup yet, which i'm sure will be a bit diff then non stop tight hairpins like the canyons. but until i get back on a track i dunno.

might be getting ATE rotors from Sam soon too, bc that might be my fade problem is the stock replacements
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes, the canyons as have a tendency to do that sometimes, though on mine they've never happened. FWIW, my street car actually weighed a little more than yours. I'm not too sure if your stock replacements are brembo blanks, but that's probably the only ones that I would use. Most of the others haven't held up compared to them, but since I never tried ATE, they're most likely as good or even better.

I suggest that you Give StopTech a call and see if their big brake kit is for you.

As a reminder for those with race pads, they should not be used for daily driving. You'll likely wear the rotors down in less than a week.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxtron

As a reminder for those with race pads, they should not be used for daily driving. You'll likely wear the rotors down in less than a week.

i got that feeling when i realized how hard they grip!

ya, i'll call them. a good setup would be helpful