Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help getting brakes for my particular setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help getting brakes for my particular setup

I need to spend some money, and I have decided that brakes will finally make the car complete. Its a 2005 Pontiac GTO.

I have the KW V3 coilovers installed, same parameters that they had out of the box. I drive on 18 inch TSW Thruxton for summer wheels/road course, 15x11" Weld Draglites rear drag wheels w/ weld drag lite skinnies up front at the strip and stock 18"s front and back for the winter. The car comes with the APS TT kit and about 200-250lbs of stereo equipment installed. When I sit in the car, it weighs 4200 lbs. Yeah, I need some more stopping power.

I am going to say money doesnt matter for the time being, see what the most expensive kits out there are and start going down from there.

After talking with my local mechanic he says the best way to go is bigger rotors and more pistons. Only problem is my drag wheels wont support that. He says I can look into getting bigger rotors up front, and just change out to a stock size rotor in the rear. If the skinnies I have upfront for drag racing dont fit the bigger brakes, then he tells me to stop using the skinnies and get something that does fit. Bigger brakes > Skinnies if I want to road race mainly and drag race on the side. Also, switching over to SS lines will be included.

I am going to start searching for brake info here, but I am having a hard time finding brake info for my specific suspension and wheel setup.

Summary, I need bigger & better brakes that fit my suspension/wheels. Can anyone point me in the right direction to start my search?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Banned

I would recommend using a StopTech kit. I sell the kits with two different discs sizes. 332x32mm or 355mmx32mm. I recommend the 355mm rotor because it is almost 14 inches. Each kit will be able to fit you both of you 18" wheels.

I wouldn't recommend a bigger rear rotor because of the brake bias.
I would stick with a stock sized rotor for the rear and use a AXXIS or Hawk pads and definatly upgrade to ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

If you also want to stop better I would recommend losing all 200-250lbs of stereo equipment.

Check out my website www.rotorsonline.com or call me if you have anymore questions.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Not looking to have the fastest lap times, just want to have more confidence in my braking while I run some laps. Right now the stock brakes do not cut it, even at the drag strip it feels like they are at their limit when I go for the second exit. I will check out your webiste as well. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Is there a price range you are not looking to over exceed?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spooled180
Is there a price range you are not looking to over exceed?
At the moment, no. Well, lets say I dont want to spend $10k on the brakes. I really want to know what 90% of the options are out there. I want better stopping power, but I cant go with bigger rotors. Mabye theres a new and improved rotor/pad combo for $5k. I just might HAVE to go that route since so far, my search has found nothing other than some slotted rotors and hawk pads and SS lines.