Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop being a tool.

a few weeks ago i was uneducated about suspension components and things to improve my handling. I.E. i didn't even really know shocks were that important. It is threads like these and people posting VARIOUS opinions that helped me make my decision. I am very appreciative of people posting there various reviews in threads like this, it is helpful to any suspension noobie who is trying to get information and wants it from more than one source.

Don't be mad at the Koni/Strano people because they have a better argument and are encouraging better products.

Seriously, wouldn't you be pissed if someone posted a thread that Pacesetter or SLP headers were the best headers ever at everything, and no one stepped in and said Kooks or QTP were better?

the comparison was brought up in the original post by calling a specific setup out. I recently purchased koni/lt1 pro kit from sam and he was happy to recommend other options should I not want to spend the money on the konis, but he did give me very good information on why he felt the konis were worth it.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

apparently the whole "My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review"
and "Just thought id post up my review of parts i just installed this past week" means its ok to bash his setup.some of you are owned by reading comprehension.im over it.done.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
I know the Koni/strano ***** will probally chime in on how inferior this setup is but for anyone on a normal persons budget who cant spend over a grand on some struts/shocks/springs
lol, I am pretty sure no one bashed his setup, could you point it out? People have stated that it is a great budget setup, but it is also not the best thing out there. I would hardly call that bashing.

Since you seem to like to say we can't read, I will quote the part about him calling out the Strano/Koni Guys. You obviously missed that.

this was my comment earlier.

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
so to the op:

I am glad you enjoy your setup and $500 is not bad at all for what you got, continue to enjoy it!
if this is bashing, wow, i guess im really just a huge dick 24/7.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
lol, I am pretty sure no one bashed his setup, could you point it out? People have stated that it is a great budget setup, but it is also not the best thing out there. I would hardly call that bashing.

Since you seem to like to say we can't read, I will quote the part about him calling out the Strano/Koni Guys. You obviously missed that.
nope i saw that.why do u think i posted that people would prove my point?because his statement had truth to it have a nice day
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
nope i saw that.why do u think i posted that people would prove my point?because his statement had truth to it have a nice day
What point? That when someone reviews a setup, that people respond and give their opinions of it as well and provide facts about it? Congratulations, you stated the obvious. You must be a genius

I don't see anything that I'd consider bashing in here. Look in other recent threads though and you'll see some bashing. Why don't you go defend them too? It's a public forum. People are free to express their opinion and facts when they please given that they follow the rules. If your afraid of getting offended or your feelings hurt, then don't post.

The original poster doesn't seem to care that much about all of this. For what it's worth I'm glad he's happy with his setup and that is all that matters. If it was 500 bucks and he did get the good quality prokit springs and the KYB AGX's then that's a pretty good deal. No need for him personally to get a better setup if he's happy.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XZ28X
OK pissing contest aside, I am very interested in the OP's review. And that's all.

How did it turn out for you?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

search my name i installed mine and had a thread as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are poor and wanted to spend you money wisely, you would have followed many people's advice to NOT purchase Eibach Spings . . . How is buying poor quality springs a wise choice?

I have Eibachs on two of my Camaros, One the SLP Level II and the other Eibach Pro Kit . . I hate . . . actually dispise the ride in both cars . . . both setup the rear springs are WAY too soft, the rear sags and due to that has destroyed the rear tires since the wheel well lip cuts the sidewall of the tire. The front springs are too stiff, and one rides way too high.

Bottom line, there are better spings . . .

And final statement, the people at Strano are there to provide very good sound advice, and IMHO do not upsell anything. They saw a need to build springs to meet the needs of F-Car enthusiat . . . not to be very unfairly insulted as a ****. same goes with anyone trying to advise you of not making the same mistake. I guess our breath was wasted.

Enjoy your car.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by newton
I think people are just a bit annoyed at the fact that many people are constantly recommending Stranos/Konis. While we appreciate the fact you guys are recommending top-of-the-line products, you can't deny that they are an expensive combo. I'm all for shelling out the extra cash to get something done right, but damn, Stranos/Konis put one hell of a hole in the wallet.
BEST POST in this whole thread....bar none.

Before I get bashed, let me say that I will one day justify to myself that a car I drive a few times a month needs the Strano/Koni setup, and I will buy it.

Until then, I think what has happened here, does indeed happen in this particular forum a lot.
Here's a quick rundown...
Guy installs suspension setup
Guy posts his results/review
Several people post about how/why he could have done better, etc...

Facts of the matter...right or wrong

Some people buy lowering springs for LOOKS ONLY
Some people cannot afford $1000 for what they might consider a cosmetic mod. (even though it really isn't in the Koni/Strano case)
Some people may post their results and reviews of OTHER suspension setups, strictly to share THEIR opinions, even though (God forbid) they don't go with the majority.
Some people may not like to go with the majority and try things for themselves...regardless of what they have already read over and over.

I found an older (and formerly) "Strano recommended" setup, which consists of re-valved Bilstein HD's and LT1 ProKit. I got it for less than $400 with relatively low mileage. Personally, I think it rides like ****, and handles about as good as my pickup truck...lol. But it does "look good"...which I didn't really care about.

Anyway, now I know that I'll never buy this setup ever again. And, YES, I should have just put that $400 towards the Koni/Strano setup and HOPEFULLY, I'd be half as happy as the people here who run that setup.

As for the Koni/Strano Supporters chiming in, I can see where some would get upset, since nobody asked for opinions or recommendations, but that happens on every forum I have been a member of.

The older Chevy TPI people swear that if you run anything but a MiniRam and AFR heads, your car will run bad...I proved a LOT of them wrong with a totally against the grain setup I felt would work well.

The Mustang crowd swears there is no other camshaft but an Ed Curtis custom grind, yet my near identical car with off the shelf Summit brand cam outran my buddies regularly.

On this site, most swear you need a cutout and a bigass cam to run well. I use a dual/dual catback and a baby cam to run mid 11's...

I could go on and on, but hopefully someone gets the point of this long winded two finger typed post of mine...lol.

I'll be calling you soon Sam...I tried to go it alone this time, and it simply didn't work out...
Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Several people post about how/why he could have done better, etc...

Hey HE the orginal poster started it . . .

. . .I know the Koni/strano ***** will probally chime in on how inferior this setup is but for anyone on a normal persons budget who cant spend over a grand on some struts/shocks/springs I will recommend this combo. . . . .
The post would mostly likely had stayed on track without that original statement.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

The time has come for me to yet again go on the record.

Things don't remain static in life, and setups don't either. Yes, in the past I have done other setups, and still do to this day that are not Koni/Strano springs.

But context is important. Buckle your seatbelts because I'm going to take you on a ride just to prove things aren't as simple as some of you make them out to be.

Where to start? How about the springs. LS1 Pro-kit and LT1 Pro-kits are not the same thing, not even close. So when folks generically talk about Pro-kits it makes me cringe. That said, I can and will use LT1 springs as a second choice to mine. They weigh more and the ride height can vary a bit more, but the spring rates and ride heights are the closest thing to how I made mine. Do I think my springs are better? I do. And I've had the benefit of not only being able to drive on and test a lot of springs, but to assess what I did and didn't like and applying them to my own springs.

Regarding shocks. We've done various things with Bilstein's over the years. Included Revalving fronts, running alternate valved rears, and running Bilstein rears wtih Koni fronts.

At this point it's all moot since Bilstein doesn't have any shocks. Hence I can't revalve anything. Revalves were never meant to be equal to, or replacements for Koni's and in fact my car has had Koni's on it since it was new (on the front). Further, regarding ride: What hasnt' been mentioned is that I didn't do only one sort of valving, I'd do all sorts of things depending on the use of the car and the springs being used. In fact rebound damping say at the low speed could range form no change to +30-40% depending on the use. High speed damping could range from +15% to +30% or so. Someone doing more track stuff didn't get the same valving as someone on the street. So, it's more than likely that the above poster hates his ride because he has something not suitable to him. He did, after all, buy them used and I didn't speak to him about what he wanted--as I did the person who bought them. And who knows what we discussed at the time.

How about the fact I did in the past use HD's on the rear and Koni's in front. Again, context. The "3" Koni rear at the time was a small 36mm diameter shock that I didn't like. And many balked at the price of what are now known as 4/4's. By running a Koni front and Bilstein HD rear (and that was NOT a 4th gen HD rear fwiw) we could save folks a few bucks and give them a shock that was good over ripples, etc. I didn't have a lot of rebound damping, but didn't usually need a lot of rebound damping. But a number of things changed since. Koni redesigned the 3rd gen rear to a 46mm and changed some valving. I tried it and liked it a lot better. And being adjustable gave us some options the Bilstein did not. At the same time Bilstein prices had risen a bit, and after about 2-3 years of use I started finding those shocks were getting a touch too soft. In the end it came to a point that running 4/3 Koni's didn't add a lot of cost vs. Koni/HD's and you got adjustment as well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So, it's more than likely that the above poster hates his ride because he has something not suitable to him. He did, after all, buy them used and I didn't speak to him about what he wanted--as I did the person who bought them. And who knows what we discussed at the time.
BINGO!
I agree 100% Sam.

Lesson learned, and for this reason...why I will be calling you before Summer's end to get the right parts for ME.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Hey HE the orginal poster started it . . .

The post would mostly likely had stayed on track without that original statement.
You are right...I got so consumed in reading all the replies, I almost forgot about the **** comment. Just about asked for trouble. I can't help but wonder how it would have went if he replaced "****" with "fan, supporter, user" or any other more favorable and non insulting word?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Probably not a lot different giving the point of the statement. But I'd have thought more of that particular person than I presently do. **** isn't a fun word, and somehow I don't think anyone who runs a "Strano setup" would be involved in killing 6 million people.

Passionate? Opinionated? Ok. **** isn't an accurate description of anyone or anything around here. Real classy... and that was my original point.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
People are free to express their opinion and facts when they please given that they follow the rules. If your afraid of getting offended or your feelings hurt, then don't post.
Quoted from one of your buddies up top....**** was possibly a poor choice of terms but jeeze lets not get all bent out of shape....For the 200th time...i installed "x" springs and "x" shocks/struts....i paid "x" amount of money for said parts....this is what i think about "x" parts that were installed.....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Quoted from one of your buddies up top....**** was possibly a poor choice of terms but jeeze lets not get all bent out of shape....For the 200th time...i installed "x" springs and "x" shocks/struts....i paid "x" amount of money for said parts....this is what i think about "x" parts that were installed.....
I thought this thread died like 2 months ago.

What I said nothing to do with the **** stuff. What I said referred to people who want their own thread to say their opinion of a setup who get upset when other's provide an opposite opinion of a setup.

Quick Reply: My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review