Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review

Just thought id post up my review of parts i just installed this past week. 98 trans am with kyb agx shocks/struts and eibachs prokit
Ride is obviously stiffer but not too harsh...Handling is 50x better...stock setup rode like crap and was pretty unstable feeling. Looks 50x better as well..ill post some pics tomorrow.
Install was easy...ive been working on cars a long time,,,,, I may suggest buying new strut mounts for the front in advance.. the sleeves on mine were frozen to the strut shaft and had to be cut off. You dont need them just return them after your done.
I know the Koni/strano ***** will probally chime in on how inferior this setup is but for anyone on a normal persons budget who cant spend over a grand on some struts/shocks/springs I will recommend this combo. I also have plenty of clearence between the ground and the longtubes.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I really think the term **** is a little over the top. As for "needing to spend over a grand", you don't need to but you do get what you pay for, especially in the long term.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you are pleased and it's not like I don't sell both those items. I do, and in fact both on are my website and I sold two sets of AGX's today. So I'm not sure that would qualify as a Koni/strano... well let's say crazy and considering I actually *am* Sam Strano I can't say much more on the subject beyond that it's impossible to compare without comparing.

I have, some others have had different shocks and combos. Just like you now can compare stock to what your current setup is, folks who have had say KYB's and the like and then Koni's can tell you what the differences are there.

I know that Koni's aren't cheap. Not much worth having in the long run is--at least not much I'm aware of. You can buy Harbor Freight tools, or MAC or Snap-on. You can buy Sumitomo's, or BFG's, you can buy a Aveo or a Z06... My point is that there are degrees to everything, and I for one don't think that $770 for a set of 4 shocks is too much to pay for a much better damper, especially when you consider what you spend on a set of tires, or decent headers, etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Your absolutely correct.....there are better suspension combos out there (which in the fboby world include your springs/koni dampners) but if your poor/cant justify spending or the old lady wont let you spend that money then this setup is acceptable at least to me.....we'll see how long these kyb's last and ill report that back as well.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

What I would personally do if I was poor. Kyb's + prokits are probably around 620 bucks or a little more, right? From what I currently know about Konis, I would take that 620 bucks and save a tad more and get konis and use them with stock springs. Assuming a poor person has 620 bucks to waste on suspension, I'd go with Konis. Why not have the potential to dampen any spring you toss on there in the future as well as confidence that they will be reliable down the road? With the KYB and prokit, you can make the car handle a bit better than stock and from what it sounds like have "ok" ride quality. If I'm gonna toss that much money into the car, then I want something that's going to handle well and also have well known ride comfort.

I still don't know what KYB adjustment does.... I don't know if it's one of those shocks that just changes rebound or does both rebound and bump with the same **** at a particular ratio.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

AGX's change both compression and rebound at once, they are linked together... they are known as double acting/single adjustables.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Sam. I knew it was one of those shocks that changed both at the same time, I just couldn't recall which one. I guess the fact that you can't adjust rebound without also increasing the compression would be one of the drawbacks between KYB's and Koni's
Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the agx shocks, but they're a little too stiff for me. you pretty much have to turn the setting up to the point where compression is too high in order to get decent rebound. but i agree that they seem to handle great for the price. this is based off my experience in a friend's
camaro.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

the sponsor really loves to push the Koni/strano setup....in ALOT of threads.if 05MBMLS2 is happy with it thats all that matters as a low cost alternative.my KYB/Eibach setup was $290 total.wanna price match those Koni/strano's?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ddnspider
the sponsor really loves to push the Koni/strano setup....in ALOT of threads.if 05MBMLS2 is happy with it thats all that matters as a low cost alternative.my KYB/Eibach setup was $290 total.wanna price match those Koni/strano's?
Well put.

To 05MBMLS2, thanks for the input. For someone on a budget it sounds like a good setup.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he likes to push it because it is the best.

was your setup used?

He still sells KYB/Eibach.....but for most applications the koni is vastly better so that is what he recommends. If you cannot do that, he goes from there.

would you prefer him to recommend an inferior product?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
he likes to push it because it is the best.

was your setup used?

He still sells KYB/Eibach.....but for most applications the koni is vastly better so that is what he recommends. If you cannot do that, he goes from there.

would you prefer him to recommend an inferior product?
maybe you missed the point of the thread.the OP was giving his review of HIS setup.IE already purchased.so there was no reason to come in and making comments about "you get what you pay for".its HIS setup already purchased and installed.end of story.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Launching!

I just bought this combo today, glad to hear it's decent.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Launching!

My total for the kyb's and prokit was less than 500.00 new for everything. I was just aiming to provide others with a simple review of this particular combo on a car. I went through alot of hassle researching before i went with my Pedders setup on my goat and it costed me an arm and a leg so i was looking low budget with the t/a and im happy with what i got out of it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

I am running KYB AGXs with Stranos...car feels great and i've had more than one person tell me it rides and handles well...I dont know why people hate on KYB they are a damn good shock for the price
Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe you missed the point of the thread.the OP was giving his review of HIS setup.IE already purchased.so there was no reason to come in and making comments about "you get what you pay for".its HIS setup already purchased and installed.end of story.
He referred to Sam and people who recommend his set up a lot (like me) as Koni/Strano *****...

He pays to advertise on here. Without people like him, this site wouldn't exist. Stop Sponsor bashing
Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Good to hear on the review, planning on KYBs with Strano springs myself...apparently gotta make that call haha.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Good budget setup... and i stress "good" because their are bad budget setups and their are good budget setups when it comes to a performance car. If the ride quality becomes better than stock and he's happy with the results and price, then that's what counts. If money wasnt an issue, def. get the koni/ strano setup.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 05MBMLS2
My total for the kyb's and prokit was less than 500.00 new for everything. I was just aiming to provide others with a simple review of this particular combo on a car. I went through alot of hassle researching before i went with my Pedders setup on my goat and it costed me an arm and a leg so i was looking low budget with the t/a and im happy with what i got out of it.
Oh ok. I just made an assumption that a set of Kyb's was 400 and Eibach prokits were about 220, hence where 620 came from. Doesn't change my preference, but that's a better price than I imagined.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that is the price that strano and most other places offer.

its not ebay pricing because it isn't ebay service.

I was not trying to do that, I was only defending other attacks on the "*****". I was explaining why there is a certain thing being pushed.

I agree this is a good budget setup, I almost went with it myself.

The setup will work, and it will handle, and it will be better than stock. There is no denying this. I talked for awhile with strano on the phone and he was open and honest telling me this. On a scale of 1 to 10 he ranked stock as a 1, koni as a 10 and KYB somewhere in the middle (i don't remember exactly where). They are greatly better than stock, but are also a distant second place. This IS the setup that he recommends if you are on a budget, but he is quick to point out that it isn't the best. I think he handles the situation in the best way possible [and sells a large variety of options - even more than he has on his website if you talk to him] and was just trying to point out to others that we aren't *****.

Its just like Kooks vs. Pacesetter headers. Yeah, pacesetters are miles better than stock, but they are certainly not on the same level as kooks - their price reflects this.

so to the op:

I am glad you enjoy your setup and $500 is not bad at all for what you got, continue to enjoy it!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

when i got my car my stock shocks and springs were DEAD...so i went online and found the KYB AGXs asked my friend about them and he said they were a good shock (I was a total noob when it came suspension and even the f-bodies). I've read alot since then i got my car over a year ago but there is so much to learn on this site its addicting

But anyway so i came on here and asked for suggestions on springs...people kept telling me Eibachs until someone pointed out Stranos...so i got on the phone with Sam and told him I already had bought the KYBs but I had heard they weren't the best setup with his springs. He was up front and told me that I would be more than fine and the the car would handle good. FWIW i couldn't be happier...maybe i'll try the Strano/Koni setup down the line when the time comes again and see what all the fuzz is about

Quick Reply: My Eibach Pro-kit/ KYB AGX Review