Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G2's w/Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Okay, seems as if you're wanting something that's takes away the 4x4 look. Fair enough.

Now, take a look at this pic:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_42.html

Really, the drop that's in that pic is already quite low for most daily driving cars and since you mention that you have 18" rims on the car, are you really sure you'd like to sacrifice ride comfort and suspension geomerty problems just to slam the car, especially since you mention that you may not want to keep the car? Heck, on my track vehicle, a 1.5" drop was already the maximum I could ever work with on an F-body and that was with some really stiff spring rates and precise valving to match (good luck getting that within a realistic budget).

On almost any ride height, having poor shocks will make the ride feel like it's a total beater. Combine this with some way too low ride height, it's almost like the car would fall apart (Been there, done that).
hmmm, personally your rear is too high for me... but I get what you're sayin.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

any reviews from G2 owners?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

btw, I know that I've posted many times in this thread, however, take if you haven't taken a look at the car in this thread already, you ought to:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/915755-koni-s-strano-s-installed-my-thoughts.html

AFA the G2 Super Springs, I had them before I actually went for the G2 Coil-overs and what I experienced was a considerably better than average replacement spring for the track, but a little too low in the rear for daily driving. All the replacement dampers I had didn't do a good job of dampening (including regular HD's with the better "previous" valving that used to be offered off-the-shelf), except the Koni DA's I had (probably an SA would be more than good enough). Also, the really low rear end made acceleration somewhat of a pig since most of the positive rake was considerably reduced.

Overall, it was a much needed improvement that the F-body needed from stock, however the rear could be slightly higher, and the rear spring rate slightly less. And as Sam mentioned, good shock valving is paramount, especially with springs like the G2. I'd also like to mention that LG's stuff is definitely high quality, and his springs were IMHO the ones to have, until I came across Strano's.

BTW, that's not a picture of any of my F-bodies that I had. With the Strano's I only experienced them on other cars similarly equipped like my own but not my own.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
btw, I know that I've posted many times in this thread, however, take if you haven't taken a look at the car in this thread already, you ought to:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915755

AFA the G2 Super Springs, I had them before I actually went for the G2 Coil-overs and what I experienced was a considerably better than average replacement spring for the track, but a little too low in the rear for daily driving. All the replacement dampers I had didn't do a good job of dampening (including regular HD's with the better "previous" valving that used to be offered off-the-shelf), except the Koni DA's I had (probably an SA would be more than good enough). Also, the really low rear end made acceleration somewhat of a pig since most of the positive rake was considerably reduced.

Overall, it was a much needed improvement that the F-body needed from stock, however the rear could be slightly higher, and the rear spring rate slightly less. And as Sam mentioned, good shock valving is paramount, especially with springs like the G2. I'd also like to mention that LG's stuff is definitely high quality, and his springs were IMHO the ones to have, until I came across Strano's.

BTW, that's not a picture of any of my F-bodies that I had. With the Strano's I only experienced them on other cars similarly equipped like my own but not my own.
thanks foxtron, I am almost certain I am going with the G2's, and yes, I will see if I can get Sam to hook me up with some revalved bilstiens. I will have to post a pic of my ride height, I would love to go with strano springs but I just dont think it would do "my baby" justice.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I'll save you the trouble... I haven't seen a Bilstein in about 14 months. Nothing around to revalve, and fwiw, I wouldn't really do it for those springs anyway. Revalves were changed fronts wtih a different production rear shock, and that rear shock isn't really great for such a high rate spring. If I had to revalve both front and rear, at today's prices (provided I could get shocks to have worked), it'd be damned near Koni 4/3 territory anyway. At that point, why bother just to end up with something that you can't even play with.

It's cool if you don't think my spring will work, that really doesn't hurt my feelings. My spring are what they are because it's what I think works best, and that is primary over looks for me. None the less, you need to think about what you are doing for spring rate and height and remember shocks have to damp those rates in that shorter amount of travel. Koni's are the answer for that.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the way, if it's just the Strano rears that you think aren't low enough for your tastes, it's easy enough to remove the rubber isolators in the rear and do the "hose mod"....that will lower it by an additional .5" to .75" or so, without really affecting the rear spring rate at all.....although that will still affect how much rear shock travel you have.

however, your choices in shocks suited to the job are very limited, and in all honesty, i would just save and get the Koni's.....as Sam stated, he won't be able to revalve the Bilsteins for you, and if you get some other, cheaper shocks, and they blow out because they can't handle the damping, you'll just end up having to buy new shocks again anyway.....and after that, you didn't really save any money.

be patient, save up just a little longer and get what you know will work, and do it right the first time.

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 05-08-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

alright, you guys got me... Ill go with the Koni's, but I do believe I will need the G2's... Like you said Sam, no offense, but I really need a big drop (wow I need to put a pic on her so so you guys can see what I am talkin about). But Sam, can you explain the difference between the 4/3 and 4/4... not my area of expertise!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Italiano
alright, you guys got me... Ill go with the Koni's, but I do believe I will need the G2's... Like you said Sam, no offense, but I really need a big drop (wow I need to put a pic on her so so you guys can see what I am talkin about). But Sam, can you explain the difference between the 4/3 and 4/4... not my area of expertise!
Good call with the Koni's.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

or you can get groundcontrol coilover sleeves w/ the spring rates you want and adjust for the height you want. Set it and forget it or play with it.

Along w/ koni's that is.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to give you an idea, here is a previous car of mine with LG G2s and Bilstein HDs:

Speed bumps were not my friend.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the difference is that the 4/3 set has the 4th-gen front shocks and 3rd-gen rear shocks, and the 4/4 is 4th-gen all around. the main difference between the 3rd and 4th gen rear shocks is that the 3rd-gen rears must be disconnected at the top of the shock mount in order to adjust them, while the 4th-gen rears can be adjusted while still installed on the car.

you will still need to peel back the carpet area after removing the two plastic panels in the hatch area, but IMO, that's a LOT easier that getting all grimy/dirty and having to get under the car to make adjustments to it.

of course, many look at it this way....once they're set, there's not much need to adjust them, so it's a moot point once everything is set. the advantage of the 4th-gen rears is that it's a lot quicker/easier/cleaner to adjust them if you like to constantly make adjustments to them for the track, road course/auto-x, daily driving, etc.

if you intend to adjust them a lot (or think you may want to in the future), pony up and get the 4/4, otherwise, save $100 and get the 4/3.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam also says the the 3rd gen rears are single piston design which damps slightly better if you have a heavy 12 bolt, 9" or S60 rearend.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
by the way, if it's just the Strano rears that you think aren't low enough for your tastes, it's easy enough to remove the rubber isolators in the rear and do the "hose mod"....that will lower it by an additional .5" to .75" or so, without really affecting the rear spring rate at all.....although that will still affect how much rear shock travel you have.

however, your choices in shocks suited to the job are very limited, and in all honesty, i would just save and get the Koni's.....as Sam stated, he won't be able to revalve the Bilsteins for you, and if you get some other, cheaper shocks, and they blow out because they can't handle the damping, you'll just end up having to buy new shocks again anyway.....and after that, you didn't really save any money.

be patient, save up just a little longer and get what you know will work, and do it right the first time.
fwiw, the shocks won't "blow up" so much as just not be able to really damp the spring rate because they are meant for something softer to start with. Add miles, and the shocks lose more damping and you can't compensate. The springs wouldn't break the Bilstein's.... they two just aren't a good match from the start and the relationship will degrade with time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I am running the old Hypercoils for LG along with the Bilstein HD's...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

any reviews from G2 owners?
I have G2's with a set of revalves from Strano. I think they look great and have proven to work very well for me at Autox. They are a stiff ride but its tolerable.

When I got the revalves they were available and I did it to save some money. If I could do it again I would have gone with the Koni's. In fact I may pick up a set of Koni's one day and just sell the revalves.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Is LG G2 springs and blisten shocks a good combo? Will they handle the 2" drop?

Or is the LG G2 springs Koni shocks the best combo? And when I go onto koni website do you order the special D (red) or the sport (yellow). The sport is cheaper but im confused. Will the koni shocks handle the 2" drop. Are they Koni really worth the money over the blisten shocks?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I have G2 springs and Bilsteins. I have no complaints. The car is low as ****, but I like it that way. I rides way better then my buddies car with prokit and bilsteins. His car rides choppy as hell.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
Is LG G2 springs and blisten shocks a good combo? Will they handle the 2" drop?

Or is the LG G2 springs Koni shocks the best combo? And when I go onto koni website do you order the special D (red) or the sport (yellow). The sport is cheaper but im confused. Will the koni shocks handle the 2" drop. Are they Koni really worth the money over the blisten shocks?

I think the Koni's are a much better choice given the spring rate and height of the G2 springs. I run Koni's and don't run as low or nearly as much spring rate in the rear. Bilstein's have never been ideal for lowered cars, and in fact there wasn't one designed for these cars and lowering springs. Can you do it? Sure. Will you find those that think it's anything from fine to great? Absolutely you will--because it's all a matter of perspective. You'll also find folks lowered with stock shocks who think it's fine to great too.

FWIW, there are no Koni Red (Specials) for this car. Only Sports, though there are two different sets we can use.

Quick Reply: G2's w/Bilsteins?