Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G2's w/Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G2's w/Bilsteins?

I think I have made up my mind to go with the G2 super springs from LG Motorsports. Any thoughts?

(will do bilsteins HD's also)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

What's your plans with the car? You just want to slam it low without regard for ride quality? Do you still want decent ride quality? Do you want it to realistically handle well?

What are the springrates of G2 springs?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What's your plans with the car? You just want to slam it low without regard for ride quality? Do you still want decent ride quality? Do you want it to realistically handle well?

What are the springrates of G2 springs?
well this is not my area of expertise. It is a daily driver, and since I put my 18's all around, its is a 4x4. so I need more than an 1" drop and I heard pro-kit has problems. so I am not looking for fantastic handling, but its not a dragster, I would like a decent ride.

G2 Super Spring Lowering Springs
The infamous G2 Super Springs are back! Thirty-five years of road race experience bundled up in one nice package. The G2 Super springs are manufactured to LG specs by none other than HyperCo. HyperCo is the worlds leading manufacturer in Custom race springs for NASCAR, Indy, the military and don't forget LGM. Custom tailored for your f-body and born on the road course, the G2 super springs bring all of our experience into one great spring combination.

Spring rates are 550/180-220 and the springs lower the car approximately 1.75" front & rear. Your results may vary due to vehicle weight.
Designed by Lou Gigliotti at the race track to take your f-body to the limits.

Shocks recommended for this spring package are Bilstein HD's.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

LG stuff isn't bad. As a matter of fact, I still have his G2 custom coil-over kit from my now sold track car. AFA his replacement springs go, they're pretty good, but I prefer the rates that the Stranoparts springs have in the rear which are 150. It also doesn't hurt that Strano's springs tend to weigh slightly less than most other ones out there.

Also, I don't like my street vehicle to be lower than 1.5", and 1.2" is actually what I find to be most optimal on any streetable 4th Gen F-body.

AFA shocks go, no matter which ones there are available, the approriate valving is necessary for them. While I have tried G2's with off the shelve Bilstein HD's and they weren't bad, Bilstein themselves didn't recommend their standard HD's to be used with anything other than the stock springs. As of the moment, Bilsteins for the 4th Gen F-body are not only on national backorder, but before that, they started to reallly mess around with the valving, and for the worst.

I'd say to consider something like Koni SA's
Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Word on the street these days is that the HD's aren't that great, if they are even in production still. Bilstien messes around with their valving a lot, and the latest HD rears are supposedly really close to stock DeCarbon valving.

I think those are pretty high springrates for the rear personally.

If you do go with those springs, a better cheap alternative is the KYB AGX's. They may have the ability to dampen those springrates... I would ask Sam first. AGX's adjust both compression and rebound with one ****, which isn't that good for ride quality.

I would personally get Koni's, but not everyone appears to want to pay much for suspension apparantly.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

well I dont know how long ill have my car so no, paying the highest for the best isnt my priority, but I dont want to get crap. So what website do I go to look at the kyb agx's, I have never heard of them?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Second Club

i had them on my car for around 60k miles, still were good but rod on the shock was rusted out.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with a Koni/LG setup but I guess HD's would work for the budget conscious..
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so I went to the kyb website and I think I like what I see. Any thoughts from you guys? kyb agx and G2... Decent combo?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Italiano
ok, so I went to the kyb website and I think I like what I see. Any thoughts from you guys? kyb agx and G2... Decent combo?
AGX are ok but the G2 springs lower the car something like 2 inches and AGX's can't handle more than 1.5 I think it says on there official specification pdf or something.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
AGX are ok but the G2 springs lower the car something like 2 inches and AGX's can't handle more than 1.5 I think it says on there official specification pdf or something.
Would definitely be a good idea to verify that.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

hmmm, so would you guys recomend prokit?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
I would go with a Koni/LG setup but I guess HD's would work for the budget conscious..

thats what i have
Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't recommend the prokit. I've had prokit with revalved bilsteins (rode good, Sam Strano did the revalve), G2's with the same revalves (drove really rough), stock with Konis on lower perch (rode great) and finally the latest, Koni's and Sam's springs (rides and drives the best).
Old 05-02-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm, so would you guys recomend prokit?
NO, the pro kit rear springs...........Suck. When I had them in my car the rear suspension was bottoming out constantly, even on little bumps. Furthermore the rear spring rates are too soft for the amount of drop they offer. And third, the damn things were bent after only 1.5yrs, IMO crap. The G2 springs are made by hypercoil and from my experience a better quality spring. Kenny Brown springs Are also made by hypercoil , which is what i had in my car for over 5years with allmost exactly the same rear spring rate as th G2. Yeah, the rear suspension would still bottom out occasionally but nothing like the pro kits would. You will still get a good ride quality(imo) with the stiffer G2 springs.
If you want to look slammed go ahead and get the G2s; the smart alternative to the Sportlines. IMO everything has its pro's and con's so just weigh your options wisely.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
NO, the pro kit rear springs...........Suck. When I had them in my car the rear suspension was bottoming out constantly, even on little bumps. Furthermore the rear spring rates are too soft for the amount of drop they offer. And third, the damn things were bent after only 1.5yrs, IMO crap. The G2 springs are made by hypercoil and from my experience a better quality spring. Kenny Brown springs Are also made by hypercoil , which is what i had in my car for over 5years with allmost exactly the same rear spring rate as th G2. Yeah, the rear suspension would still bottom out occasionally but nothing like the pro kits would. You will still get a good ride quality(imo) with the stiffer G2 springs.
If you want to look slammed go ahead and get the G2s; the smart alternative to the Sportlines. IMO everything has its pro's and con's so just weigh your options wisely.
great help, but what springs (besides Koni's) would you recommend with the G2's?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I am very limited on time due to circumstances beyond my control, so this will be short and to the point.

The worst thing you can do is skimp on shocks, the second worst thing you can do is run a lower ride height than you "need", and the third is to run more spring rate than you need. MHO, and it's biased is that this plan of G2/HD's is all three mixed in one.

Bilstein changed their valving of the HD's about two years ago, and went the wrong way for lowering springs. Bilstein's have not ever been meant for lowered cars. Some do it, but even Bilstein themselves when they sell their BTS kit (another mess in and of itself IMHO), they don't change the valving, but do alter some things like internal stops because they know the two things aren't really compatible. But hey, it's easy to sell cheap, which is why you see some companies tell you that X is fine with Y....

Note that I and LG both run 550 front rates. But the rear rates are drasically different and you've seen more one post of folks who've had both and can compare and contrast.

If you opt for LG springs, that's fine, but they are the springs that probably most require the best damping available, even more so than my springs because of the extra spring rate in the rear and the lesser available travel in which those shocks need to do their damping due to lower ride height.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I am very limited on time due to circumstances beyond my control, so this will be short and to the point.

The worst thing you can do is skimp on shocks, the second worst thing you can do is run a lower ride height than you "need", and the third is to run more spring rate than you need. MHO, and it's biased is that this plan of G2/HD's is all three mixed in one.

Bilstein changed their valving of the HD's about two years ago, and went the wrong way for lowering springs. Bilstein's have not ever been meant for lowered cars. Some do it, but even Bilstein themselves when they sell their BTS kit (another mess in and of itself IMHO), they don't change the valving, but do alter some things like internal stops because they know the two things aren't really compatible. But hey, it's easy to sell cheap, which is why you see some companies tell you that X is fine with Y....

Note that I and LG both run 550 front rates. But the rear rates are drasically different and you've seen more one post of folks who've had both and can compare and contrast.

If you opt for LG springs, that's fine, but they are the springs that probably most require the best damping available, even more so than my springs because of the extra spring rate in the rear and the lesser available travel in which those shocks need to do their damping due to lower ride height.
Sam, I love your suggested settup, but I feel that my car sits higher than the average stock car since I put my rims on... I will have to get some pics up. Therefore I believe I need a bigger drop than that of your springs or others that are roughly 1"
Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam's is much closer to 1.25", and actually my car looks very close to what the car did with Eibach's (1.5" drop).
Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam, I love your suggested settup, but I feel that my car sits higher than the average stock car since I put my rims on... I will have to get some pics up. Therefore I believe I need a bigger drop than that of your springs or others that are roughly 1"
Okay, seems as if you're wanting something that's takes away the 4x4 look. Fair enough.

Now, take a look at this pic:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_42.html

Really, the drop that's in that pic is already quite low for most daily driving cars and since you mention that you have 18" rims on the car, are you really sure you'd like to sacrifice ride comfort and suspension geomerty problems just to slam the car, especially since you mention that you may not want to keep the car? Heck, on my track vehicle, a 1.5" drop was already the maximum I could ever work with on an F-body and that was with some really stiff spring rates and precise valving to match (good luck getting that within a realistic budget).

On almost any ride height, having poor shocks will make the ride feel like it's a total beater. Combine this with some way too low ride height, it's almost like the car would fall apart (Been there, done that).

Quick Reply: G2's w/Bilsteins?