Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

why is my gf's 98 honda ride smoother than mine??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why is my gf's 98 honda ride smoother than mine??

I got new koni's and the prokit couple months back and everytime I drive my girls 98 accord it feels way much smoother and I don't feel and bump in the road. With my new setup I is a major improvement but I still feel it rough in some parts of the streets/road..
Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

You're comparing apples to oranges. Good luck trying to get the 4th gen to ride as well as a Honda Accord. Accords are awesome daily driver cars and have great suspension setups for ride comfort compared to other cars, as well as their seat quality and position. They don't handle nearly as well though. Something has to give. Some cars are great at doing both, such as a BMW but you pay a hefty price for the best of both worlds.

My gf's Hyundai Elantra however, I was quite relieved to get into my Camaro with upgraded suspension after a vacation in the Hyundai. The Elantra's suspension is "pretty good" for ride quality but it's seat quality and position isn't. I also hate how I can't rest my right foot on the pedal without flooring it, while the Camaro comfortably supports the weight of my foot resting. I feel like I'm working to hold my foot up for the multi hour trip, which sucks.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

bigger car different chssis plus u have tttops less rigidity, get some subframe connectors and a strut tower bar and it will be as smooth as rough glass lol....but seriously with subframe connectors and st bar u will seriously stiffen up plus the i am not a fan of the eibachs crappy ride quality, i run hotchkis and love them...good luk
Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I also didn't notice the prokit. That doesn't help you
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea I'm thinking of going a different route from the prokit. I love the stance but seems to soft Here we go again changing crap but I will be doing the install this time. Got some tools now and I've seen the shops twice do the install and it doesn't seem too bad.

what springs would fit well with the koni's?? want it lowered too

I love driving the gf honda
Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000
bigger car different chssis plus u have tttops less rigidity, get some subframe connectors and a strut tower bar and it will be as smooth as rough glass lol....but seriously with subframe connectors and st bar u will seriously stiffen up plus the i am not a fan of the eibachs crappy ride quality, i run hotchkis and love them...good luk
All Fbodies (save for the convertables) are essentially T-top cars. The "hard top" cars have a very thin piece of sheet metal to cover the roof.
I didn't notice anything with my STB, and many don't notice a difference with SFCs. And the ones that do notice a difference say the car rides worse than before (more jarring).

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
yea I'm thinking of going a different route from the prokit. I love the stance but seems to soft Here we go again changing crap but I will be doing the install this time. Got some tools now and I've seen the shops twice do the install and it doesn't seem too bad.

Strano springs ofcourse
BTW what is your tire pressure set at?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Still won't be a Honda Accord. Your talking two entirely two different kinds of cars. Don't sweat it too hard because I just don't think that can happen.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strano springs + Koni SA's + Sam's sways + big sticky tires = passengers pissing themselves This is how these cars should have come factory IMO.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

what springs would fit well with the koni's?? :
Stranos!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you were concerned with ride quality, why in the world did you get a performance lowering spring?

use the stock springs, put the konis on the lower perch and do the hose mod.

but seriously, you can't have extreme handling and luxury ride, you have to make some compromises, even BMWs do.

Bilstein is better for ride quality than koni, but you can't use lowering springs with them.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get strano springs or get a corvette
Old 05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree it's apples and oranges.

You can't compare a car with a solid rear axle, lowering springs, performance shocks, more performance oriented tires to a Honda Accord that's whole reason for being is for a nice ride.

If you want a better ride, first thing to do is go back to stock springs which are taller and softer, and keep you Koni's in place for the damping control. The Pro-kits aren't doing you any favors with their combo of height and spring rate. A better lowering spring would help, but if ride is such a big concern the best ride will come from the longest spring travel and lowest rates you can get to support the height. The GM springs are that choice.

In the end, it's completely unrealistic for you to expect Accord ride quailty, but you can get a lot closer than you currently are.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Well, for Christ Sake Man. Don't they teach you kids anything in school? We kicked what countries *** in WW2? Japan silly!!! Why, you hopefully ask? Because they are soft, today, they were soft back then. The ride of their cars is soft..

I do have a question. Why does your GF drive that car? You can control this stuff you know! Scares me man, you let your GF drive a what? Why!

Jakes Dad
Old 05-03-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Well, for Christ Sake Man. Don't they teach you kids anything in school? We kicked what countries *** in WW2? Japan silly!!! Why, you hopefully ask? Because they are soft, today, they were soft back then. The ride of their cars is soft..
What the ****? Some Japanese cars have a soft ride while others have a harsh ride. Not sure what the origin of the car has to do with ride quality, but I hope that was just sarcasm.

Likewise, some American family cars have a fairly smooth ride too (Chevy Malibu etc.)

The objective of the Honda Accord (and many other family sedans) is to provide an efficient, comfortable car at a fairly affordable price. What is the objective of the F-body? Understand this and you'll soon stop worrying about the ride quality of your car.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do have a question. Why does your GF drive that car? You can control this stuff you know! Scares me man, you let your GF drive a what? Why!

Jakes Dad
Based on what you said, I'm starting to think you are really Jake and not anybody's dad. Tell the guys that fought the Japanese in WWII that they were soft and you'll get a different answer than yours. Like the other guy said, I hope this was humor.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bunch of domasses on here were touting that konis would make the car ride/feel/whatever like a bmw. it doesn't.
right now with the initial settings at 4 or 4 1/2 that sam starts most people at from hard up front and full soft on the back with strano springs, it rides for the most part like cut springs and stock shocks at low speeds less than 60. higher speeds at 80+ are noticeably better than my cut springs setup. control got better but none of this night and day that i've read on here. i'm on vredestein 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 rears. on these tires, there is little mentionable difference from 2.5" lowered front and 3-4" lowered rear on stock shocks and springs that were cut.
tires play a major role in ride quality and control, but with these tires, ride comfort is not much better, control is noticeable though. also with strano springs, it took the ride height up which in itself helped what was noticed. i am probably the first to not like the konis and post on here. maybe everyone else has such a shitty ride that they think the konis helped a lot. but coming from a huge drop using cut springs, i doubt my setup was much better than everyone elses.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
a bunch of domasses on here were touting that konis would make the car ride/feel/whatever like a bmw. it doesn't.
right now with the initial settings at 4 or 4 1/2 that sam starts most people at from hard up front and full soft on the back with strano springs, it rides for the most part like cut springs and stock shocks at low speeds less than 60. higher speeds at 80+ are noticeably better than my cut springs setup. control got better but none of this night and day that i've read on here. i'm on vredestein 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 rears. on these tires, there is little mentionable difference from 2.5" lowered front and 3-4" lowered rear on stock shocks and springs that were cut.
tires play a major role in ride quality and control, but with these tires, ride comfort is not much better, control is noticeable though. also with strano springs, it took the ride height up which in itself helped what was noticed. i am probably the first to not like the konis and post on here. maybe everyone else has such a shitty ride that they think the konis helped a lot. but coming from a huge drop using cut springs, i doubt my setup was much better than everyone elses.
Obviously the wheels arn't helping any, but from what I've read everyone with SFC's have noticed a harsher ride, and worse impact comfort.
My car with konis alone was a total night and day difference in ride and control, and it rode "good" for a stock fbody.
What is your tire pressure set at? Did you directly talk to Sam about how to set up your car? Take into consideration you have more unsprung weight with those larger wheels than most other people running Konis, your settings may be different than everyone else. You mounted the front springs on the upper perch right?

Last edited by JD_AMG; 05-03-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Jakes Dad

Hopefully you can get the ride better to what you are wanting. Sam I installed some of your springs today and I must say BADASS! I love them.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Obviously the wheels arn't helping any, but from what I've read everyone with SFC's have noticed a harsher ride, and worse impact comfort.
My car with konis alone was a total night and day difference in ride and control, and it rode "good" for a stock fbody.
What is your tire pressure set at? Did you directly talk to Sam about how to set up your car? Take into consideration you have more unsprung weight with those larger wheels than most other people running Konis, your settings may be different than everyone else. You mounted the front springs on the upper perch right?
wheels aren't so much the problem as much as tire size, but the fact remains with the initial settings and same wheels/tires with the crappy springs and tires, there is very little mentionable difference in ride comfort vs the konis and the strano springs. strano springs are good since they raised my car up from the cut springs i had which allows for better shock movement. i doubt weight at the wheels means much. front tires/wheels weigh 57lbs and rear tires/wheels weigh about 60lbs.
what can be said about sfc's is moot, i'm comparing the same setup and everything else on the same car vs a strano springs/koni setup, which did not give me a mentionably better ride quality. i will be making adjustments to see if things get better, but right now with what stated, this car does not feel comfortable as a bmw and i would be shocked if this package is to rival or beat a z06 on the track. this is my experience thus far with the setup as stated and i will be making adjustments when i get some time and see what the problem is and if it could get resolved through adjustments. i'm still in the review process on everything and will make a topic when i have more input, but bottom line is as stated, if you have my setup, it rides like crap for the most part, handling is better, but far from great.
i will be get a hold of sam on suggestions and hopefully be able to make a better report and will post a topic.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
wheels aren't so much the problem as much as tire size, but the fact remains with the initial settings and same wheels/tires with the crappy springs and tires, there is very little mentionable difference in ride comfort vs the konis and the strano springs. strano springs are good since they raised my car up from the cut springs i had which allows for better shock movement. i doubt weight at the wheels means much. front tires/wheels weigh 57lbs and rear tires/wheels weigh about 60lbs.
Weight of the wheels is unsprung weight, the worse kind of weight. Generally the heavier they are the worse handling/ride you have.
what can be said about sfc's is moot, i'm comparing the same setup and everything else on the same car vs a strano springs/koni setup, which did not give me a mentionably better ride quality. i will be making adjustments to see if things get better, but right now with what stated, this car does not feel comfortable as a bmw and i would be shocked if this package is to rival or beat a z06 on the track. this is my experience thus far with the setup as stated and i will be making adjustments when i get some time and see what the problem is and if it could get resolved through adjustments. i'm still in the review process on everything and will make a topic when i have more input, but bottom line is as stated, if you have my setup, it rides like crap for the most part, handling is better, but far from great.
i will be get a hold of sam on suggestions and hopefully be able to make a better report and will post a topic.
There is something seriously wrong with your car... You got the package new right? You adjusted the rear shocks correct? And when you adjusted the fronts you turned the adjuster all the way in one direction before counting off the turns right?

Quick Reply: why is my gf's 98 honda ride smoother than mine??