Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car rides like a covered wagon on the oregon trail

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car rides like a covered wagon on the oregon trail

My car rides feels like it's lacking a suspension. My friends 71 454 chevelle rides like a caddie compared to my car. My car has 103k mi on original shocks/struts/springs and road bumps/cracks will knock your fillings loose. Wheelhop is also pretty bad when stompin on it. I'm more concerned with straight line perf than cornering. Doing shocks/springs real soon, will the stock springs be alright or should they be replaced too? Are the rod end lca's contributing to the harshness? TIA!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

i really dont have an educated idea or scientific answer for you but i love the title for what its worth
Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's mostly due to your stock shocks (especially after 103K) and their original valving. Are you also keeping track of your tyre pressures as well?

These are just a few places to start.

AFA the rod ends on your LCA's, they can contribute to it as well, but a significant contribution to the rod-end harshness in the LCA's could also be from how worn down they are, or if they're good ones to begin with.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Teching In

Stock shocks are junk when new so that is one thing, but it's more likely your tires for the harshness. If your running a really stiff sidewall tire and have them over inflated you'll get pounded. The rod ended LCA's will be more noisy then harsh so I don't think they would do it.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

tires, shocks and struts......btw great title!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by bencher
My car rides feels like it's lacking a suspension. My friends 71 454 chevelle rides like a caddie compared to my car. My car has 103k mi on original shocks/struts/springs and road bumps/cracks will knock your fillings loose. Wheelhop is also pretty bad when stompin on it. I'm more concerned with straight line perf than cornering. Doing shocks/springs real soon, will the stock springs be alright or should they be replaced too? Are the rod end lca's contributing to the harshness? TIA!
The shocks are definitely a large contributing factor to the poor ride quality. You stated that you are more concerned with straightline performance so is this going to be mostly street/strip car ?

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
The shocks are definitely a large contributing factor to the poor ride quality. You stated that you are more concerned with straightline performance so is this going to be mostly street/strip car ?
Yes, mostly street, half a doz trips or so to the track per year. I still have the stock 245 series tires aired in the 30-33# range. Would lowering springs help to reduce the wheelhop along with the strut/shock replacement(I know springs will hurt the weight transfer on launch)?

Last edited by bencher; 05-06-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
That's great!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by bencher
Yes, mostly street, half a doz trips or so to the track per year. I still have the stock 245 series tires aired in the 30-33# range. Would lowering springs help to reduce the wheelhop along with the strut/shock replacement(I know springs will hurt the weight transfer on launch)?
Lowering springs will not help reduce wheel hop, if anything the change in lower control arm angle might actually make it worse. A good set of shocks and and possibly a set of tubular lower control arms would be my advice for wheel hop prevention and for better riding car.

We offer several different solutions for your situation. If you would like to give me a call here at the office I would be happy to go over them with you.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 05-08-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
Lowering springs will not help reduce wheel hop, if anything the change in lower control arm angle might actually make it worse. A good set of shocks and and possibly a set of tubular lower control arms would be my advice for wheel hop prevention and for better riding car.

We offer several different solutions for your situation. If you would like to give me a call here at the office I would be happy to go over them with you.
and don't forget LCA relocation brackets.....that should help with the wheel hop as well.

i'd to these mods in the following order:

1) shocks
2) LCA relocation brackets
3) sticky tires
4) LCA's
Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing as far as reducing wheelhop that is surprisingly effective is a poly transmission mount, especially if you've got an aftermarket torque arm. It makes a noticeable difference, costs about $25 and takes all of 30 minutes to do.

But definately shocks are in order, but the stock springs should be fine. If you're worried about a rough ride, lowering springs would probably not be a good idea, since the spring rates will be higher (stiffer) to keep it from bottoming out.

If you do lower the car, then LCA brackets are a must, and an adjustable panhard bar is a good idea too.

Just my $.02
Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shocks and struts will make a WORLD of difference for you. Springs supposedly "never" wear out, but I don't buy that. I would invest in some lowering springs whole your in there and just do it all at once. Do the LCA relocation brackets and new LCAs as well and it will ride like a new car guaranteed.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damnit, I was gonna use the "You have died of dysintary" line!

I had 116K on my stock shocks and springs. I was gonna do bilsteins but with the valving issue and the backorder, I went with KYB AGX shocks instead. I did suspension techniques sway bars at the same time, but I kept the stock springs. For just about 500 bucks the car handles better than my WRX does, unless you hit a bump then theres no denying the IRS > Solid Axle.