Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing rotors, ok to re-use stock pads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing rotors, ok to re-use stock pads?

Hey guys, my brakes are kind of sucking when I try to brake from anything over 100mph. I'm not talking about hard braking either, just slowing down after a WOT run, lightly tapping the brakes. I've heard/read time and time again that the stock rotors suck, so I've decided to swap them out with Autozone rotors. Can I re-use the my stock pads when I replace the rotors or should I get some pads too? Also, how do I know if my rotors are warped? Sorry for all the questions guys, this is the first time I'm going to mess with brakes.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Replacing rotors, ok to re-use stock pads?

Hmmm.... as for the brake pads...I have heard that its best if you get new ones at the same time....especially if you say your rotors are warped....the old pads will have an uneven wear pattern if indeed warped but its best if you get everything new....just my 02 cents. ..As for sypmtoms of warped rotors.....something to do with vibrations while braking...not really sure though...maybe someone else will chime in and help!!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed mine out and I am still using the stock pads. It works fine. Brembo's on the front and Autozone's on the back.

Les
Old 08-06-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

That's exactly what I feel jpz28, a vibration when braking from high speeds. I guess I'll bit the bullet and buy some pads while I'm at it. Autozone brand pads is fine, I'm guessing?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FOr better braking, upgrade the pads...Hawk HPS (or similar...) will make a big difference....
Old 08-13-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

vibration/pulsation is the result of warped rotors. The whole setup will last longer if you change the pads at the same time you have the rotors recut (or replaced).

Warped rotors don't change the profile of the pad, its the grooves that eventually get worn into the face of the rotors & pads. If the pads still have high and low spots from the old rotors, they will wear unevenly on the new rotors.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I re-used the stock pads after replacing the warped rotors. Before putting them back on I checked for an uneven face, the surface was flat and evenly worn on both sides.