is the HD + G2 settup a better ride than stock
Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump to top
Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

No, it will be rougher over bumps and float more in curves. Because those springs are lower and stiff and the shocks can't control them. Then they'll probably blow soon because they aren't designed to ride so low.

Get them, put them on, and find out for yourself or take everyone's advice and move on.

Vernon
Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

got ya, but im not a moto x supercar slalom dag racer, I am driving to work and back. So the majority of this advice means nothing to me, has no relevance, I am looking to talk to those who have this settup, and can give me a yes or no

Last edited by Italiano; 05-31-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Italiano
got ya, but im not a moto x supercar slalom dag racer, I am driving to work and back. So the majority of this advice means nothing to me, has no relevance, I am looking to talk to those who have this settup, and can give me a yes or no
Then your throwing out good valid advice. Springs have a springrate and a ride height. All you have to do is ask people who have lowering springs with about 150 or higher rear springrates how their care rides. If they say its bad, then expect the G2 to be a lot worse.

Why don't you just buy it and try it and give us your opinion of it. Worst case scenario is you change that setup in the future. At least you had tried the setup at that point. Suspension is a personal taste type of thing. Your ride preferences are going to be different from mine.

I also don't know what a moto x supercar slalom dag racer is, but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to ride in
Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I am so freaking tired of hearing "I don't race". They why run springs with all that rear rate? Hell, I do autocross and don't run springs that stiff. So please, spare me the rationalization of how you don't need anything special on shocks.

Shocks are what matter most, period. The car has the same mass on the street are it does if you were a super whatever you were getting at racer. The rate of movement of that mass is controlled by shocks, and poor shocks are what make the car feel so bad stock... not too little spring.

Justify this any way you want, but you've gotten the advice you seek... If you don't agree, that's fine but the answers aren't going to change, at least not from anyone who'd got multiple frames of reference.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

all I am saying is that my preferences for the "maximum" comfort possible are not as high as some. If there is anyone who says that they dont have complaints with HD's and G2's than that is also good advice. Of course Koni's would be a better ride, but if I can save 500 and still be better than stock, thats all I want
Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I give up.....
Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

Sam, the army has anti-stress kits for situations like these. Using a piece of ordinary copier paper, draw a circle the size of your head. In the middle of the circle be sure to caption "BANG HEAD HERE" Place the paper onto the nearest hard surface. Most people usually place there "anti-stress" kits above shoulder height on a wall or on an available desk.

Last edited by 1redta; 06-03-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: wording
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 1redta
Sam, the army has anti-stress kits for situations like these. Using a piece of ordinary copier paper, draw a circle the size of your head. In the middle of the caption be sure to caption "BANG HEAD HERE" Place the paper onto the nearest hard surface. Most people usually place there "anti-stress" kits above shoulder height on a wall or on an available desk.
I rather put that "anti-stress kit" on the face of the person causing the stress... it just seems so much more productive and releases more stress that way.

BTW, I'm not jabbing the thread starter... I just wanted to add my pun.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
I rather put that "anti-stress kit" on the face of the person causing the stress... it just seems so much more productive and releases more stress that way.

BTW, I'm not jabbing the thread starter... I just wanted to add my pun.
Well hey, at least you didn't pull out that neat stuff sold in colour coded bottles from many hardware suppliers to retain fasteners, which is usually referred to as "thread lock."
Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

ya... there is a lot of stress in here... maybe finding a different thread to read might help
Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

ya... there is a lot of stress in here... maybe finding a different thread to read might help
Maybe you need to make a thread with a title that states HDs with G2 springs. Then after all of the zillions of people who don't recommend the setup, at least you might get one person or a few to say they liked it. That way you can hold out for the answer that you want to hear

Let's put it this way. Stock shocks can't dampen stock springs very well. Stock springrate is 114 for the rear. Take Bilstien HD shocks which these days are pretty much stock in the rear, slap on some G2 springs which are pretty much twice as stiff as stock 180-230 rear. You are gonna end up with quite a bouncy unstable ride in the back I would imagine.

There probably isn't many people with the G2/HD setup out there, that's why you aren't getting many responses.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

BTW... what about KYB AGX's? Aren't those like the same price? Why not go for a set of those?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

FACTS:

1) Bilstein HDs and G2 springs will physically fit together in the car

2) You can drive them on the street and your car will be fine

3)The ride will be better than G2s and Stock shocks (but not by much)

4) There are better options out there.

5) Bilstein does not recommend running their shocks with lowering springs and the shocks wont last as long as they would on stock springs

5) You can ask for opinions all you want, and eventually someone will tell you they love the setup because they've never experienced an optimized suspension setup

good luck!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
5) You can ask for opinions all you want, and eventually someone will tell you they love the setup because they've never experienced an optimized suspension setup

good luck!
hpjunky 6 comes after 5

I like your 2nd #5 statement. You will eventually find someone who likes ANY setup if you ask enough. But you should also consider that not everyones driving conditions are the same. Someone who loves sportlines and stock shocks might be driving on perfectly flat roads everywhere and driving their car once a week.

I think he should just go out and try it.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

hp junky, thats exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. All I wanted was a plain and simple answer. Yours too z28 bryan. And ya, I looked into kyb, I called them and they dont recomment their shocks for that spring rate either. I am gonna go with the koni set up next week.

but fyi, I wasnt waiting for one person's approval, I just wanted to hear from those who actually have it. I have only been getting one side of the story, You make the best decisions with all opinions involved.

you make good points z28bryan.

But to those who don't like what I have been sayin, go to another *&%@#$* thread. Some people on here don't know every fact about every inch of their car... hence this website. So when inquiries are sought out, and some are put aside, let it be, RELAX. You guys keep saying "everyone has their own opinion", well then let me have mine. As you can see, I am going with the Koni's now... WHY? Its the better settup, I KNOW! I never said it wasn't. BUT! if the prior spoken settup would be enough to get by for the next two years and save $500, than thats what some people prefere. And it seems like that is not the case
Old 06-03-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guy since we're being extra critical here, just to make it easier next time try to put the actual question in your post. You will have much better luck at getting an answer. With your title you pretty much only attracted the knowledgeable guys who skim all posts just to help. In this case we all had the same answer, and yea we got that is not the answer you wanted. Trouble was whoever might have had the answers you were looking for weren't looking in your post.

Vernon
Old 06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let you have your own opinion? Ok.... if you had an opinion, then why ask what we thought? And what's more, *how could you have formed an opinion* having not used what you are asking about?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

because opinions change. We got off topic. I have recieved numerous PM's from those who have that settup

Quick Reply: Bilsteins comin... (REVALVED?)