Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help! No Traction!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help! No Traction!!

I've been having some traction issues with my TA. For the longest time I thought I was experiencing wheel hop, but I found out what wheel hop actually is and what it feels like and it's not wheel hop. It basically feels like my car isn't gripping the road. It doesn't plant when I launch it. It feels as if I have hard plastic as tires.

Is this solely a tire issue? I am currently running on some 315 Nitto 555R's with a tire pressure of about 20psi's. I have some UMI Subframe Connectors, UMI Adj. Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, and Koni Shocks.

I have the rears on full soft but it feels too soft. It feels like the rears don't take the bumps well and I feel no rebound.

Whatcha guys think? I'm a manual at stock power levels too.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=02TransAm/Batmobile;9556017]I've been having some traction issues with my TA...

20 psi, isīt that way low? Iīm running 30 psi in the rear. Can it be so that if you run to low tire pressure the dampers will not react or work as they should. Due to the softness the tire will work as your suspension, the springs and dampers are not doing their job. Play with the tire pressure and letīs see what happens.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Replacing my torque arm with a BMR one helped me some also. Drag shocks, heating tires good, and not launching at such a high rpm will help. Don't know what you are doing it at. Pressure seems good. Street tires and I have to peddle it anyway on the street or track. Mine is an M6 also.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Check for a sagging spring.

Vernon
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be too soft in the rear with the Koni's at full soft. When you launch the suspension squats hard in the rear and then rebounds and breaks traction. I'd try stiffen the rears and soften the fronts. You want the front to come up and transfer weight but the rear to stay level and have the suspension plant the rearend into the ground.

Its been said by others, "Girls Squat.. Race cars don't!"
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

^^^ correct. Your too soft in the rear and your tire psi is pretty low. I would raise the tires up some, and stiffen the *** end of the car up. Also very what you leave at RPM wise untill you get one that seems to hook up
Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanx for your responses!

I don't think it's a saggy spring. These are 1 year-old Stranos.

I'll play with the Koni settings. I don't wanna get flamed for this but, . . . . I actually don't have the Koni's set up in the front yet. I've been dealing with some family health issues and haven't had time to work on the car and I know how Sam emphasizes suspension parts working together, I jus' didn't know front shocks affect planting of the rear.

One other comment, I didn't quite mean launching launching, like from a dig, jus' whenever I floor it on the streets.

Thanx!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Well for one thing your car isn't setup as a hard core drag car. Also what people consider as "not having traction" is subjective to ones own opinion.

Is this on the track or the street that you aren't getting traction? The street condition, temperature, etc can change your traction. 555r's I wouldn't really consider a drag radial. Hell I use them for autox, so they have a decent sidewall. Not competitive by any means in autox! lol but they work and are doable.

You also didn't mention relcation brackets. The LCA angle when the car is lowered hurts traction more than when you were at stock height. Relo brackets can help you put the power down when the LCA's are put in lower holes. Though... if you plan to any autox or road racing, I'd highly recommend against getting relo brackets.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Jus' ordered some UMI's Bolt-ins Wednesday. I'm holding off on the LCA's themselves because other internet sources are stating that LCA's flexing or binding are necessary. I wanna see how well it works first.

Never been to the track, it's jus' street driving. When I floor it, it feels as if my car is hovering over the ground jus' partly grazing the road.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Jus' ordered some UMI's Bolt-ins Wednesday. I'm holding off on the LCA's themselves because other internet sources are stating that LCA's flexing or binding are necessary. I wanna see how well it works first.

Never been to the track, it's jus' street driving. When I floor it, it feels as if my car is hovering over the ground jus' partly grazing the road.
The rod/rod ended LCA's would be best for allowing free movement. They probably would be a bit noisier. It probably depends on your own tastes and what you consider noisier. Lots of autox and road race cars use stock arms and just change the stock bushings to the solid rubber bushings