Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

suspension guru's chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default suspension guru's chime in!

what do you guys think? Ive got new poly motor mounts and trans mount and a new stock tq arm mount, metal band and all. Im also running hotchkis LCA's other than that the suspension is stock. now for almost TWO years now Ive been having problems with BAD shaking vibrations in my drive train ever since I snapped a tq arm. 1st place I brought it to blamed it entirely on my exhaust, I was thinking motor mounts but im green and they were supposively the "pros". my exhaust was def all cracked up from the vibrations BUT after dishing out $1000 I figured out it was not the source of it and the vibrations were only going to break my exhuast all over again along with my becool radiator which was chaffing so I said the hell with it and took it off the road for the winter. so now I did the mounts myself and also put in a LS1 DS figuring those could be the only possible sources of these bad vibrations, and they did help ALLOT but the ride is still not perfect. often when im driving on uneven or ripple-ly pavement my whole drive shaft tunnel, shifter, console and all will shake and get its own rhythm that you can feel through the whole car. also when reversing I have to slip the clutch out just right or the car shakes violently sort of like wheel hop except for the wheels arent hopping and the opposite goes for letting out the clutch in 1st, if you do anything but launch perfectly you get major clutch chatter, except the whole car chatters not just the clutch. what could the culprit be? shocks are the only thing that comes to my mind and are actually next on my mod list anyways..but im not sure everything seems way to violent to be just tired shocks and like I said most of the vibrations come from the DS tunnel, there is a very slight vibration I can feel through the shifter around 55mph which is slightly over 2000rpm but im not even sure if that is related to my main problem. what are everyones thoughts? mod's arent a waste of money to me but I feel like Ive been throwing money down the drain trying to fix this problem, every shop I ever brought it to has NO idea whats wrong. should I go ahead and do new shocks/springs? or could it be something else? if I cant solve this I've got to get rid of my baby cause I def cant keep driving it like this, it will literally fall apart, PLEASE HELP!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

TTT! cmon guys I know NO ONE wants to touch this with a 10ft pole but some one has to have some ideas of what else to check. I backed it out of my driveway this morning and my whole rear axle hopped when I let out the clutch
I dont think it could be the shocks alone, or maybe it could, please some one has to have a theory, it def doesn't like reverse... I was thinking a tq arm relocation kit might help with the whole trans/DS tunnel shaking.. but still some thing aint right back there. please help!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

My recommendation would be to install a stock transmission mount back on the car. The poly mounts (engine and transmission) are notorious for inducing unwanted vibrations to the cabin of the car.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
My recommendation would be to install a stock transmission mount back on the car. The poly mounts (engine and transmission) are notorious for inducing unwanted vibrations to the cabin of the car.
yeah I was thinking about that today, since I put it in I get some vibrations around 2300rpm and also while de-accelerating in gear that I never had before the poly trans mount. but I know theres more to it than that cause I was having this shaking problem before I replaced the mount and the previous tranny mount was fine even the tq arm mount looked fine, only the engine mounts were bad but they wern't busted just squished. but the vibration I get from the poly mounts is MINOR compared to the shaking I get. if I hit uneven pavement while cruising in gear the whole DS tunnel gets a steady shaking rhythm going on which doesn't go away until I either give it some gas or take it out of gear. its beyond me and beyond the craptastic mechanics in my neck of the woods, last place to check it out called me back in to inspect the underside -hah if I knew I wouldnt of brought it to a shop in the first place. what could it be?...could an incorrect pinion angle cause all this?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

bump.. any hope? im certainly loosing it.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
Didn't get any new vibrations with all my poly mounts...I say get some
Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Poly tranny mounts to have noise. And/or check the pinon angle on your TQ arm if thats off thatcould effecting things. Poly engine mounts usually are not that bad compared to the tranny mount. HOpe that helps!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

alright I'l check the pinion angle out, can you get the angle finder at most part stores or is it a special order thing?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coolformula
Poly tranny mounts to have noise. And/or check the pinon angle on your TQ arm if thats off thatcould effecting things. Poly engine mounts usually are not that bad compared to the tranny mount. HOpe that helps!
I agree!!!

I chased a vibration for a log time, and it turned out to be a pinion angle that was off. Check out the torque arm video on the BMR website.

To adjust mine, I went "high tech", and bought a Sears digital carpenters level. It's handy for other things around the house, but most importantly for "old timers" like me, it beats the hell out of trying to squint and read the fine lines of a regular angle finder....while flat on your back, under the car. With the digital, you just read the numbers!

Oh yeah, I have the Energy Suspension poly motor and tranny mounts.......
Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

magnetic base protractor is whats needed to measure pinion angle.

you may have your driveshaft out of balance, usually happens when breaking torque arm.. you could also be picking up vibrations from your clutch if its in poor shape.
had your tires balanced recently. they could have to much lateral run-out. find a road force machine to test this.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black00TA
magnetic base protractor is whats needed to measure pinion angle.

you may have your driveshaft out of balance, usually happens when breaking torque arm.. you could also be picking up vibrations from your clutch if its in poor shape.
had your tires balanced recently. they could have to much lateral run-out. find a road force machine to test this.
the DS is new as of a month ago. the clutch is 2 summers old now, the tires are 3. I havnt had the chance to check the pinion angle yet but I'l def get on that. finding a road force machine in my area might be tough but I'l give it a shot. thanks guys
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

oops forgot to ask what the correct angle is? 0?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
oops forgot to ask what the correct angle is? 0?
Most people seem to think that between -1 to -2 is the best for forward bite. I'm currently at -.5, and the car seems to like it.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

cool thanks man!

Quick Reply: suspension guru's chime in!