Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

3pt sfc's that much better than 2 pt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
With thousands of these SFC sets out there, no failures and vehicles running single 1/4 mile times... I do not see this being a issue what so ever.
It's only my opinion. I do like the tubular design and how they tuck up close, but from the metalwork/tubing work I've done, I just do not like round tube welded to flat plate like that. It's the only thing I don't like about them, other than that they are very nice.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have clearance issues with 3pts. & bassani duals? My lt1 was a hardtop and it just feld rigid. Even with good shocks this car shakes&rattles.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Orange 96
Anyone have clearance issues with 3pts. & bassani duals? My lt1 was a hardtop and it just feld rigid. Even with good shocks this car shakes&rattles.
You on stock size wheels? Whats your tire pressure set at? What are the shocks set at?
Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Going with a set of 3 Point SFC's will definitely make the vehicle more solid. And you will not have any clearance issues using our 3 point SFC's either. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

thanks for the quick response Brad. good to know they will fit.

im on 17x9 gm wheels. was riding on crap f1 tires but i just put my gsd3's on yesterday w/4k miles on them. It already rides 10x better w/good tires. i run like 30lbs in front, 28 rear.

front shocks are 4 turns from full hard, rears a quarter turn from full soft.

i do alot of city driving on **** roads up here so certain bumps&hits just seem to upset the entire car more than my hardtop. i drove that car 6 years and it just felt more solid to me. That car was on bilstein hd's.

figure i'd try out the bolt ins to see how much of a difference it makes, if any. i know ive read 4th gen. hardtops aren't much stiffer than the t-tops, but having both i do notice something different. idk maybe ill search some more b4 adding sfc's.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not saying right or wrong here, but.... There is a whole crowd of folks that think any car, drag raced or not, big power or not, need SFC's to survive.

I'm simply trying to say that if you are of the mindset that the car is a flexible mess and needs SFC's then you need to decide how much "stiffer" you want the car. It's a personal call. I just feel that if you really think you need them why not put on 3-pts? Ok, they cost a few bucks more and that's a consideration, but in the end if you feel the car needs a lot of help $100 for something that will be in place for..... ever isn't a lot of money.

I sell 2's and 3's... A sale is a sale, and it doesn't matter which you were to buy if you bought from me in terms of getting a sale. What does matter to me is that you get the best part for you wants or needs. That might be a 2-pt, it might be a 3. Might be weld-in, could be bolt in. I can't really say. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate so you can think about the pro's and con's.

2 points save you money. 3 points are stiffer.
I thought you were against SFC's
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
I didn't see anywhere in Strano's post where he said that the OP needs SFCs. All he's saying is if you think you need them the 2-points would be cheaper and the 3-points would be stiffer.

I've got UMI Chrome Moly 3-Points, that's just how I roll.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
He never gave his opinion. He just went back and forth from the 2 pt to 3pt. Look at how he uses the word "you" and not "I" or "I suggest"

However he does lean towards the 3 pts. I thought he was against them too! Lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

thanks for the quick response Brad. good to know they will fit. figure i'd try out the bolt ins to see how much of a difference it makes, if any. i know ive read 4th gen. hardtops aren't much stiffer than the t-tops, but having both i do notice something different. idk maybe ill search some more b4 adding sfc's.
Hello
No Problem! Just some other info for you about our SFC's. The reason why we offer both versions bolt on and weld is because not all of our customers have access to a welder and as long as they are torqued to spec there wont be any issues. And if later down the road you can always have the bolt on SFC's welded. I just figured I would throw that out there for you.

Thanks
Brad

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
.I've got UMI Chrome Moly 3-Points, that's just how I roll.
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance! We appreciate the business.
Take it easy
Brad
Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Anyone know how much the UMI 3-point chrome moly ones weigh? And for that matter how much do the mild steel 3-points weigh?
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I only have shipped weights (boxed up, etc). Both are listed @ about 50 pounds per set. CM's save some weight, about 5 pounds or so in reality vs. mild steel.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Launching!

So Sam I gotta ask you, in your opinion is it even worthwhile to run with SFCs on a mostly street car? Or for that matter run them on an auto cross car?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a personal decision. The older the car, the more beat on it is, the bigger and bigger the difference.

Do I think they are required? No, most especially when decent shocks are in use. Are they bad? Hell no. Can they help? Yes, most especially on older cars.

I can't tell you if you'd love them or not. Do you want to hedge your bets, stiffen the unibody? Then do them. If you really don't find the car to be a quivering mess then I'd have to say pass.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Good to know. I was planning on doing them just for piece of mind. My car tends to be pretty stiff (only 67k miles) and I would like to keep it that way. I'm doing a full suspension in the future, but I think I might do these now to tide me over a bit. Thanks for the advice Sam.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I didn't see anywhere in Strano's post where he said that the OP needs SFCs. All he's saying is if you think you need them the 2-points would be cheaper and the 3-points would be stiffer.

I've got UMI Chrome Moly 3-Points, that's just how I roll.
Not from this thread. Actually I think I got it twisted, maybe I was thinking STB was the thing.

Quick Reply: 3pt sfc's that much better than 2 pt?