Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Torque Arm ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Arm ??'s

I guess torque arms fall under this section?

Anyways, I'm having a hard time understanding what the advantages of the adj. torque arm is. At first I was hoping the adjustable changed the length the bolting point to the tranny to change the "instant center" but it looks to only adjust the pinion angle which I'm not seeing the advantage to. Are there any out there that change the instant center to dial in how much of the car we are trying to pick up?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

you will want to change your pinion angle if you lower your car, also a stiffer after market ta helps with wheel hop and braking. im sure one of our great sponsors will chime in
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

An adjustable torque arm is general used to adjust your pinion angle. If you have a full length torque arm we offer a torque arm relocation bracket that has six different holes for instant center adjustment. It also saves you from breaking the tailshaft on your transmission. I will post a link to our site and if you have any questions please give us a call. Our tech/sales dept. is available MON-FRI 8:30AM-6:00PM EST. We will be closed this friday for the holiday.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dennis does that part work with the factory t-a or just an aftermarket adj t-a?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

I like that relocation bracket! That would make better use of the torque arm being adjustable IMO.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevegrizzle
factory t/a is garbage.

I have one of their XTA's (shorter design, mounts on a chassis brace that runs between my sfc's) This gives improved instant center for acceleration, better weight transfer -> +traction, but the downside is that I can get some rear brake "chatter" unnder hard deceleration.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is compatible with your factory torque arm .....
Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Ive got the Spohn Adj G-Brace TA, and LOVE IT, noticed a massive difference all around on the car.

Problem with the factory one is it flex's, since it's stamped steel. If your thinking of getting an aftermarket TA get an Adj one
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

If you go with one of our shorter style arms they offer pretty much everything you are looking for. The shorter arm bolts off the transmission, allows pinion angle adjustments and offers (2) instant center changes. Pricing starts at under $400.00 as well for the complete bolt on set-up. I posted one picture below and a few links all depending on your exhaust set-up. We also offer the full length arms in adjustable and non-adjustable styles along with the torque arm relocation kits with built in instant center adjustment as well.

Thank you!
Ryan

www.umiperformance.com/2200
www.umiperformance.com/2201
www.umiperformance.com/2202
www.umiperformance.com/2203

Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not knocking anyone here, in any way, shape, or form.....But I have a serious question about the "relocated" mounting of torque arms. I've actually had this question in the back of my mind for a while, but haven't asked it before. This discussion seems to be an appropriate place.

Do these front mounts bolt to the factory sheet metal brackets that attach to the floor pan? The same brackets that the factory "floor brace" bolts to?

Again, I'm not knocking anyone's design, but at least on my '96 Z-28, these brackets don't look strong enough to use for mounting a rear suspension member. I installed a set of Kenny Brown Racing subframe connectors in my car 10-11 years ago, and they tie in to these braces to add strength to the floor pan.

However, once the connectors were welded in, there are no constant, rotational forces applied to them, as would be applied by a torque arm. They become a fixed component of the chassis, and I assume see no more than torsional loads imposed by suspension flex while driving, same as the factory intended. What, exactly, am I missing here?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Yea the "front mounts" bolt to where your factory G-Braces mounts and at least in theory its a much better idea, why you ask?

Why would you want to putt all that pressure on the back of an aluminum tail housing? Also the G-grace TA's lift on the car itself, therefore more weight transfer.

Just my .02
Old 07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Leadfoot- Believe it or not we have not had any issues with this area to date... but we did see that being a problem in the future. This was one of the reasons we have developed our 3-Point SFC's which are designed to bolt under the torque arm mounting points and distribute the pressure of the arm. Please take a look at the picture below.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
Yea the "front mounts" bolt to where your factory G-Braces mounts and at least in theory its a much better idea, why you ask?

Why would you want to put all that pressure on the back of an aluminum tail housing? ............

Personaly, I don't think that those floor pan braces are all that beefy. Yes, as UMI's man has just posted the picture of their installation, he shows that their subframe connectors tie in that area, and at least help the OE braces absorb the load of the torque arm. But, without the additional help of those subframe connectors, I don't see how the floor braces would hold up over time, as that's not what GM designed them for. GM designd the rear of the tailshaft for that load, at least with a moderate amount of HP and a moderate tire.

I've had 2 F-bods with the torque arm rear end. One was an '85 Firebird SE, and the second is the '96 Z-28 that I currently have. I had the '85 for 10 years and 80,000 miles, and I've had the '96 for close to 13 years with 70,000 miles. No problems with either, at least with respect to the torque arms.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Personaly, I don't think that those floor pan braces are all that beefy. Yes, as UMI's man has just posted the picture of their installation, he shows that their subframe connectors tie in that area, and at least help the OE braces absorb the load of the torque arm. But, without the additional help of those subframe connectors, I don't see how the floor braces would hold up over time, as that's not what GM designed them for. GM designd the rear of the tailshaft for that load, at least with a moderate amount of HP and a moderate tire.

I've had 2 F-bods with the torque arm rear end. One was an '85 Firebird SE, and the second is the '96 Z-28 that I currently have. I had the '85 for 10 years and 80,000 miles, and I've had the '96 for close to 13 years with 70,000 miles. No problems with either, at least with respect to the torque arms.
No I agree, the factory floor bracing blows, thats why SFC's are a must, that UMI set up looks awesome, I just have the BMR Sub Frames and Spohn Gbrace adj TA, and love it
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve, sorry about taking so long to get back to you. Yes it does work with factory, non adjustable, or adjustable full length arms.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No prob a guy from bmr-tech already chimed in