Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrading Suspension On V6 F body

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Suspension On V6 F body

Need suggestions (OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS) Car is a 2002 V6 Firebird. Looking to upgrade swaybars, torque arm, LCA's and PHB and anything anything else if left out you guys can think of. Car is a daily driver but I go to the track at least once or twice a month. But I live in KY mountain areas so its really curvy so something that will help or at leats not hurt handling. Been Looking into 1LE Swaybars
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I V-6 is tangibly no different than an LS1 is for handling mods. However, you say suspension--but reference handling, but than talk about some things that are more launch than turn, so I'm a little unsure about what you are wanting. Looks to me like a combination of turning and launching. That's fine, but I'll tell you that the biggest thing you can do to make a car leave harder is put on a set of tires that are meant for that. All the suspension in the world doesn't help much if the tires don't hook.

On the turning side the "big 3" so to speak are Shocks, springs and swaybars (and we'll toss in the PHB there too, making 4). "1LE" bars would help, but you can do better anyway. And FWIW, there are different combinations of bars that came on 1LE's, and in fact most of them came with 32/19, the very same bars every SS and WS6 came stock with. The only 32/21 combo on a 1LE was in 1993 due to some the spring differences that year. That's what most call 1LE, but in actuality it was one year only and because they got the the stiffer front springs with the stock rears. I made my own bars, the front is 35 the rear 22mm. BOTH are hollow so you save a few pounds in total, get the same kind of rear roll stiffness in the back as with the heavier 21mm bars GM or otherwise. In front you get about 30% more roll stiffness over a 32mm and that helps make the balance more like you'd have gotten in a 1LE. We just get the wheel rate from more bar than more spring.

All that said, the shocks are the key to a good driving car before all else. Now your V-6 springs aren't great, your bars are small.... but like on the V-8 cars, the shocks suck. Good shocks slow the roll and pitch rate, they make the car track better, turn in quicker, take a set in corners better and more quickly... And they also tend to damp sharp impacts better than stock too. Ask anyone who'd put on a good set of shocks, the difference from those alone is huge and they are the place to start with suspension/handling mods.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Alright thanks sounds like you really know your suspension and seems like I have saw your name come up in a few suspension FAQs. Someone on fullthrottlev6 told me not to put v8 front springs on a v6? Not sure if they knew what they were talking about tho because I'm new to suspension mods. But your right about tires been planning on going with some Nitto's or MT DRs in the back. So start with shocks, springs, swaybars and PHB? Also found a great deal on some WS6 springs would the springs help?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You can use LS1 springs if you want. They are stiffer.. and what nobody considers is the fact your car is a V-6, but that V-6 is all cast-iron vs. the LS1 that is all aluminum. How much different do you think they are in weight? I don't rightly know, but while your motor is 3/4 sized, it's also made of a heavier material...

If you want to use V-8 springs, you can. In fact I see that as an upgrade. For that matter V-8 bar are too. But you need to ask yourself if you want to upgrade to what was stock on those cars, when those folks are going to better stuff? Or just skip the in between and put the best parts on you can....
Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the all the help what about the LCA's and PHB off stock LS1? Any difference in that and mine
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only if you want to waste time and money... No difference.