Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watts Link--F-body (it's real and we're taking pre-orders)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this part.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not alone. Im 99% sure this is my next major mod.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Color update:

Fays2 has used Red since they started building these... When I asked about black he was a little suprised that the color might make or break a sale on such a big part (that's not available anywhere else).

That said, he told me he'd consider it. The issue is he has to run batches to the powdercoater and it's just more trouble to do it all the way around. More cost, more time, and more overhead when you now have to carry two of the same part, but for a color change.

In the end, orders speak. If I get a number of orders who prefer black I think we can make that happen. But you have to get your pre-orders in, and soon so I can arrange any possibility of a black option. Those pre-orders need to have a notation on them that you prefer black if that's the case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping update:

Shipping within the next 3 weeks was the word I got today. First come, first served. Early orders go out first
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Fitment update:

A unit was test fitted to a car with a Dana S60 rear, and also a 12-bolt rear. The bottom line is that you will order by axle tube size. We cannot be responsible for all the different axle tubes that might be around (there are at least a couple). The Watts Link is standard for the car, only the axle clamps vary--you'll just need to measure your tube diameter to make sure we send you the correct size.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is a difficult question, but judging from this pic, do you think it will clear my duals? i really cant tell by Fays2 pics if it will or not and i imagine you have sen it in person by now. it looks to me like it does, but i can't really tell..

Thanks Sam
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It'll be close.... But if anything I think you'll gain just a touch more room since the top of the Watts runs straight out to the left for a much longer distance then the stock upper PHB brace does (notice how it angles up).

As much as I hate to say it, you know how it is with custom parts like duals.... really a matter of how well they fit to start with. R&D on new items is generally done on pretty stock cars because that's what most cars are. I reiterate that I think you'd gain room, but I can't guarantee that. I'm 99.98% postitive you won't lose an ounce of room.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

God i hate to be the newbe, but basicly this system keeps the axle centered under the car. and does move form driver to passerenger side?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

will this work on a s-60? thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It will work on an S60, as it simply clamps to the axle tubes. I only need the customer to make sure the axle tube is 3" OD.

This does basically the same job as the PHB, but does it better. The axle moves only up and down and without any lateral movement due to the arc a PHB sweeps in. PHB's can be more rigid and have less flex (and therefore less lateral movement), but the way they connect still means the axle does move left and right as it moves up and down just because of how the linkage is setup....
Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

How would this compare to say a wishbone setup?
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You mean like a 4 link? Completely different. Much better axle control left and right. Again, this is not a drag race part (can be used that way, but not any real advantage to traction). This is a handling part. It is not a launching part. It does not bind in roll like a 4-link can. If you run a triangulated 4 link your roll center is sky high. If you run a straight 4 link with a PHB the roll center is dictated by the PHB height (and moves up and down as the car rolls left and right).
Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sam - To pre-order the Watts link for my S60 equiped F-body, do I need to call? Or can I just add the information ( 3" axle clamps for S60 rear and to be powdercoated red ) to the notes section when I checkout through your website?

Thanks,
Shea
Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Placed my order. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next year, this will be my first buy, can't wait to see what Sam thinks while autoxing the piece.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Houdini
Sam - To pre-order the Watts link for my S60 equiped F-body, do I need to call? Or can I just add the information ( 3" axle clamps for S60 rear and to be powdercoated red ) to the notes section when I checkout through your website?

Thanks,
Shea
Just order through the website and use the notes section to tell me the above things.

You want red, and that the tubes are 3".
Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You mean like a 4 link? Completely different. Much better axle control left and right. Again, this is not a drag race part (can be used that way, but not any real advantage to traction). This is a handling part. It is not a launching part. It does not bind in roll like a 4-link can. If you run a triangulated 4 link your roll center is sky high. If you run a straight 4 link with a PHB the roll center is dictated by the PHB height (and moves up and down as the car rolls left and right).
NO, what I mean is I know that alot of the BIG power f body drag cars go to a wishbone because it stops teh rear from shifting left and right as the car leaves the line and the car generally leaves alot more consistant and generally straiter.

I wondar if this would have the same effect. Roll center in teh aspect that you adjust it for a circle track or roadcourse car I don't think really applies to a drag car, I guess if you wer to lower it really low the car would want to leave more level only because it would be harder to roll over, but then again that's what we have a massive swaybar for.

What you have is an intresting piece, I just wonder if what that does to the rear suspension would be beneficial or detremental to a drag car.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Oh, I see..... Again, I'm not sure for that use there is a reason to do this. Case in point, the pic in your signature. Car leaving hard, doing a wheelstand, and the axle isn't all out of whack, right?

I'd love to give you an answer, and one that sounds all cool. I can't. I've been thinking this over and over and can't see how it's a benefit for a drag car. On the other hand I don't think it'll hurt too much, but it does weigh more than a PHB does.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Race your car!

I' not at the point that it's a concern, but guys that are at Tom Kemph's level, and other guys like brady's car, cars of that caliber are runnign a wishone with the shocks relocated to the back of the rear, and a wishbone to center the rear rather then a LHB, because as the rear of the car compresses that amount of compression with that type of power will cause the car to drift and do all kinds of goofy stuff because the rear doesn't stay dead centered.

I don't think it's needed for a 9 second car, proabbly not really a high 8 second car but you start trying to get to bottom 8's and into the 7's it becomes a concern/issue.

You may have a market for that and you don't even realize it, now you just have to get someone with a car at that level to try it and see what the effects are. Keeping the rear centered at all times on a drag car is not going to be a bad thing trust me.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Now I see... Amazing what a little communication will get you.

If a car can squat that much, then the arc of the PHB can most certainly become a factor, and the watts link doesn't allow the body/axle relationship to change left and right at all, unlike a PHB. It allows the axle to move purely up and down, no lateral change regardless of ride height or roll.

So in this context, I guess it could work for you. Again, not my bag really and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I guess it's not any different than those guys not knowing the tricks to turning corners--it's not their thing.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam,

This is a very interesting piece. This is the first I have ever heard of this type of product. I have G2 springs so one of the lower spring sets available for our cars and a wide rear wheel and tire combo. That all being said when I go over a road surface with sudden change or hit a big bump to the point that the rear suspension hits the bump stops I get some rubbing with the fender on the passenger side. My fenders are rolled and initially I thought I just didn't roll the passenger rear as much as the driver side, which doesn't ever rub. I have never really thought about the left right movement of the axle due to the arc that is created by the PHB.

So if I am thinking about this right when the rear of the car is compressed the rear end would shift slightly to the passenger side of the car due to the compression of the rear end (the arc of the PHB pushes the rear end that way). Does this sound right and do you think this may clear up the small rubbing issue I have? I know you cant say for sure but what is your gut feeling and am I thinking about about the axle moves correctly?

I have also felt when corning in my car if the road surface gets a little ruff the car seems to want to jump left or right, not a real settled down feeling.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You are correct. When the body moves the relationship between it and the axle changes. Technically it's the body that moves over the axle, not the axle under the body... the tires are on the ground and the axle side PHB stays X distance above the ground in all conditions. The body side PHB does not.

I do think you could clear up your slight issue with a Watts Link. If you want to see the arc and how it works, measure with the car on the ground and see how the body/tires are centered. Then jack the car up and let the axle hang, you'll see the wheels shift some.

Quick Reply: Watts Link--F-body (it's real and we're taking pre-orders)