Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watts Link--F-body (it's real and we're taking pre-orders)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Watts-link showed up tonight!

Just have to wait for the spacer to come in, them I'm all over this install.

Almost forgot... just a preemptive
Old 09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Sam, how much unsprung weight does this kit add? Not enough to worry about I assume, or not enough to outweigh the benefits.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

sam, with the riht parts will this work ona s-60 rear car. also instead of straped. could a person just weld on the tabs?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynation
Sam, how much unsprung weight does this kit add? Not enough to worry about I assume, or not enough to outweigh the benefits.
About 11 pounds of unsprung weight is added. Consiering stock 16x8" wheels are 18 pounds each and a lot of aftermarket wheels are 25 each (let alone the tires), plus what folks add with things like TA's, and bigger rear axle housings, it's pretty minimal for the gains in location you get laterally and the fact the roll center will not longer change dynamically like with a PHB.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
sam, with the riht parts will this work ona s-60 rear car. also instead of straped. could a person just weld on the tabs?

Does your S60 have 3" axle tubes? If it does, it'll work. The axle clamps can be tack welded in place for some extra security if you feel you need that. It's not recommended they be seam welded incase you need to remove or re-orient them for any reason.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
All I need to know is if your axle has 3" OD axles. Most 9's do.

The Watts link frame bolts to the PHB mounts on the car. The axle clamps are all that change for different rear axles (for instance GM axle tubes are 2.625" OD, most 9's and 12-bolts are 3". Some are 3.25".

hey Sam, another question: how much room is lost between the rear end and the gas tank vs our stock phb setup?

just thinking about it because i have a turbo right there so space is crutial... also any improvement in handling is good since my car is mostly a street car, elspecially how it shows in those vids it makes sense
Old 09-06-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah what about with a sumped or aluminun CAS/Nasty tank? Something like this.
Attached Thumbnails Watts Link--F-body (it's real and we're taking pre-orders)-backup-2-036.jpg  
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

OK so i actually made a seperate thread about this, i was hoping to not have to post in here as well but it seems i might need to.

My car, along with others it seems, has a scary tendancy to flick its rear end out under hard braking at high speeds. I had to nail my brakes at about 110-120 and much to my surprise has to noticeably correct to keep her in a straight line. I was thinking that maby this is caused by the PHB when the rear suspension decompresses under hard braking. The PHB levers the axle outwards, not something you really feel at lower speeds, but once you are cooking the small difference adds up enough to kick the rear end out noticeably.

Its probably worth noting that the rear end kicked out to the left.

So i was wondering, does anyone else think i might be logical here in that a watts might prevent this, or atleast mitigate it to some degree, or am i just shooting in the dark.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Honestly fella's I can't answer your questions about the "gas tank" because I've never considered the stock stuff to be anywhere near in the way of the gas tank. The Watts generally has more room up top than the stock PHB brace that runs on an angle. The Watts link frame runs from the right side mount straight across to the left an only turn up to the body on the left. I can't say for sure if it'll work for either of your cases (or that it won't).

As for the guy with the funky braking... it could help, but if you don't have decent shocks on the car that's where you need to start.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

do you have any pics that look like this? i am just curious to know how much space is lost after the PHB, as my turbo is pretty close.

see this is how much space i am working with
Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The gas tank is up above the axle, you're worried about the space below and behind...

Honestly, I think the Watts and your turbo would want to occupy some of the same space.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

The spacers showed up today, now I got everything I need. I'll start turning the wrenches on Friday, and pictures will follow shortly there after... might be the first one to get it hooked up to a S60 rear.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Im dyin to get a watts link but its just a tad out of budget right this second. I would also love to have one to compare to the couple rear mount turbo F-bodies.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

So does this watts link mean that you could resize, bracket and install the older, supposedly STRONGER late 60's GM 12-bolt rears that dont have provision for a torque arm???????? The kind that can be found all day on ebay for a few hundred bucks??
Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no you still need the torque arm. it just replaces the PHB
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these this winter. I really like the idea of the adjustable roll center height without having to weld/hackup the current frame. However if I drop the roll center I'd probably have to get a bigger rear bar or run some monster rear springs to maintain the same roll stiffness, it would also be very beneficial to be able to adjust the rear roll stiffness to fine tune the setup. I know of one company who does make adjustable rear bars, but they are currently not offering one in a large enough diameter, but that could change with enough interest. Just PM me if you are interested because I don't think I am allowed to post a non-sponsor name on this board.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Teching In

gonna dig this post up. its been over a month... whats the latest on the watt's link people? hows it working for those of you who have installed one?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one of these this winter. I really like the idea of the adjustable roll center height without having to weld/hackup the current frame. However if I drop the roll center I'd probably have to get a bigger rear bar or run some monster rear springs to maintain the same roll stiffness, it would also be very beneficial to be able to adjust the rear roll stiffness to fine tune the setup. I know of one company who does make adjustable rear bars, but they are currently not offering one in a large enough diameter, but that could change with enough interest. Just PM me if you are interested because I don't think I am allowed to post a non-sponsor name on this board.

Well, we have picked up the the company that makes adjustable rear swaybars as part of our product line--but as for now it does not work along with the Watts Linkage....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The feedback I've gotten is mostly by phone. So far the reports have been all positive.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
So does this watts link mean that you could resize, bracket and install the older, supposedly STRONGER late 60's GM 12-bolt rears that dont have provision for a torque arm???????? The kind that can be found all day on ebay for a few hundred bucks??
The thing with a 4 link or leaf spring axle... doesn't the GM panhard axle actually mount the springs slightly behind the axle where as the other two styles have different locations??
You would have to move the spring perches. It is completely doable. Just makes it less tempting.

Originally Posted by bigredhelland
gonna dig this post up. its been over a month... whats the latest on the watt's link people? hows it working for those of you who have installed one?
It works good. Most of the install is just making sure its all lined up and kosher.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The feedback I've gotten is mostly by phone. So far the reports have been all positive.
It lives up to everything I could ask of it. Personally, I could use some longer watts links because my breather is in the middle of my Moser 12 and the size that it comes with won't let me get past the middle of the axle tubes.

The only advantage to longer links is the prop pivots less with longer links.... I have thought about it, though.

Quick Reply: Watts Link--F-body (it's real and we're taking pre-orders)