Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange drag brakes on my Moser 9", setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange drag brakes on my Moser 9", setup questions

I bought a set of Strange brakes on this forum for the rear and a new Moser 9". This is my first time with Strange brakes and a Moser 9". I've posted up in the axle section with no reply, hopefully I'll get some info here.

First, the backing plates for the Strange brakes have a smooth side and an engraved side with the Strange name and some recesses. The wheel bearing on my 9" is flush with the outside of the housing end and you use the backing plate for your brakes as the retainer. I bolted up the Strange backing plate with the smooth side to the housing and it looks fine. The reason for my question is that on the other side, there is a recess in the plate that's the exact size of the bearing... but I can't see mounting it that way because the axle would be able to float 1/8" in and out. QUESTION #1 Is this the way to do it?

Second, When I mounted the caliper to backing plate and over the rotor, the rotor wasn't sitting down flush on the axles flange. I took a 1/16" steel washer and spaced the caliper back from the backing plate and this allowed for the rotor to sit flush against the axle and also made the rotor more to the center of the caliper opening. QUESTION #3 Is it OK to space the caliper away like I've done?

Last, I mounted the calipers on the front side of the 9" in the same orientation that the stock calipers sat on the 10 bolt with the arrows on the caliper pointing in the direction that the wheels will turn when going forward. QUESTION #3 Is this correct?

I've got the whole assembly(Housing, axles, 3rd member, TA Bracket, Brakes) together on the table in the shop. I don't want to put it under the car and have to work on it then.... so when I've made sure that all this is good to go, I'll stick it in the car.

Thanks, Patrick
Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding spacing...We mill bearing spacers that are used for many of the aftermarket rear-end setups that use Strange brakes. You can view the spacers at http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html towards the bottom of the page.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
I feel like everything is good... just looking for confirmation. Somebody has got to be running the same set-up???

Quick Reply: Strange drag brakes on my Moser 9", setup questions