Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just bought a 99 Z28..suspension help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a 99 Z28..suspension help.

Ok I recently bought a 99 Z28 and it handles "ok"...but the ride is terrible, go over a small wavy spot or small pothole and holy crap, it rides worse that my brothers POS 3rd gen that still has stock shocks. I don't know a heck of a lot about suspension, but there has to be something I can do for a decent price to make a bit of difference in the ride and handling. I keep seeing everyone talk about Konis, and what is 4/4 , 4/3 and all that ctuff. Someone help please?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Typically, most people on here (myself included) go for strano springs and koni shocks first. Huge improvement over stock. 4/3 refers to 4th gen camaro front koni shocks and 3rd gen camaro rear koni shocks. 4/4 is the same as above but with 4th gen camaro rear shocks.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

so springs and koni shocks huh? Well that may be a bit over my price range, considering I saw that the shocks alone are close to $1000, and no telling what the damn springs cost. Thanks for letting me know though, its just I have waited for a car like this for like 10 years, and now I get it and not that the acceleration is a dissapointment, but the ride surely is. Is there anything I could do that would help that I could get that would get me through about 1.5 -2 years? Then I could go for some koni's and springs. thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strano springs are priced competitively with most other lowering springs. So I would at least do that. There are other shock options, like kyb or tokico. Both will be an improvement over stock but won't break the bank like the konis.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005
so springs and koni shocks huh? Well that may be a bit over my price range, considering I saw that the shocks alone are close to $1000, and no telling what the damn springs cost. Thanks for letting me know though, its just I have waited for a car like this for like 10 years, and now I get it and not that the acceleration is a dissapointment, but the ride surely is. Is there anything I could do that would help that I could get that would get me through about 1.5 -2 years? Then I could go for some koni's and springs. thanks
The Konis will dramatically improve your ride quality (think BMW, firm but buttery smooth and not jarring at all) and handling , and the springs will certainly help with handling as well.
There are other alternatives, but none that can compare.
Next down on the list (WAY down...) recommended by Strano (sponsor on here, and suspension guru) would usually be KYB AGX's. But they adjust compression and rebound at the same time, so if you want more rebound for a more controlled ride you also get more compression dampening, even if you don't want it. On top of that they don't warranty their shocks if used with lowering springs, unlike Koni which gives you a life time warrenty no matter the springs.
Save up for the Koni 4/3 kit, that alone will satisfy your needs.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Save up for the Koni 4/3 kit, that alone will satisfy your needs.
Agreed. Save up, buy once, be happy . Until then, live with it.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

I guess it sounds like I will be saving up some money....lol. Man I sure wanted some headers and cat back exhuast though, and some wheels....haha...really more than that, but I will have to wait ...lol thanks for all your input.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save for just the koni's then, they are perfect with stock springs too and you can still lower the car slightly with them.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can use bilsteins which come to about half the price as the KONIs. they are good, but still not as good as KONI.

springs are not necessary. yes they give the car a nice stance, and will improve handling but with that, you get les clearance. If I daily drove me camaro i would have put it back on stock springs.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

What about the aftermarket front and rear sway bars? Havnt tried it myself yet but I hear they tighten up the ride considerably while removing alot of the squeeks and moans our aging cars are making.

Last edited by Jay-SS; 08-10-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
What about the aftermarket front and rear sway bars? Havnt tried it myself yet but I hear they tighten up the ride considerably while removing alot of the squeeks and moans our aging cars are making.
False.
While ones that are matched properly (like the 35mm/22mm hollow bars) will definitely improve handling and steering response, they in no way will improve ride quality, if anything it will get slightly worse.
Good shocks, however WILL absorb the rattles assuming everything else is in good shape.
They will also make a more dramatic difference in handling than swaybars as well, seeing how bad the stock decarbons are.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

From what you posted, you are looking to improve your ride. You didn't say you wanted ultimate handling. You didn't say you wanted to lower your car. You want to be delivered from a rough ride.

The answer to your question is Bilsteins. They ride better than Konis at half the price. Sam Strano has them in stock with the proper valving (very important). Give him a call.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

the only thing is, that one day I do want the handling ability to be better, and I know the bilsteins will help that a little bit as well, but the Koni's just keep popping out at me, but then again, they are about to go up in price.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Fair enough. Bilsteins improve handling significantly compared to stock, and Konis do so equally compared to Bilsteins. Konis transmit more road imperfections than Bilsteins, but I would rate my ride with them comfortable to very comfortable in 90% of conditions.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Fair enough. Bilsteins improve handling significantly compared to stock, and Konis do so equally compared to Bilsteins. Konis transmit more road imperfections than Bilsteins, but I would rate my ride with them comfortable to very comfortable in 90% of conditions.
Are you still on the front lowering perch? Kinda an apples to oranges comparison you get 3/4" less suspension travel with the Konis than the bilstiens, how do you think the bilstiens would have been with that lower height?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Pontiacerator

I dunno but I plan to find out. My plan is to cut the stock springs on my other car to obtain a 3/4" drop and then install them with Bilsteins. We'll see how the ride compares.

But ... maybe I'm slow, but I fail to understand why mounting the spring on the lower perch would make the ride harsher. Sure, there is less suspension travel between the bumpstops. But the spring itself is extended 3/4" further, giving it a greater effective range of compression, and increased initial compliance over surface irregularites. That ought result in a softer ride over small bumps, not a harsher one. Think of compressing a small spring between your thumb and finger to get what I mean.

Again, maybe my thinking is off here, and I'm open to correction. But honestly, I don't think that 3/4" is going to make a very big difference in any case.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 99 Z28..suspension help.