Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

who's f-body is LOW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default who's f-body is LOW?

Like the title says... looking for some pics and info on people who have their f-bodies LOW! Im not talking a simple eibach pro-kit or regular 1.5" kits... Looking for someone with coilovers or something that runs around low. Post up pics and info ! Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking to drive this on the street or just use it for shows? 2" is really low for street use and any lower than that is only going to make it nearly impossible. I use to have a pic of a car lowered 2.5" somewhere that I'll try to find for you, it should make things rather clear as to it not being streetable.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I had a pro-kitted car and there was no clearance issues. I'm looking for a slammed car that is set-up to handle like a champ. Vettes run around lowered and are MUCH lower than our cars. Im sure some people out there with coil-overs are slammed... post up!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A slammed car that is set up to handle like a champ won't really work with these cars...you'll basically end up with too little shock travel to properly damp the springs. You'd probably be looking for something like airbags...beyond that, a Prokit is as low as I'd go with one of these.

That and you can't compare an f-body to a Vette...those are just two entirely different animals with how everything is set up.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
I had a pro-kitted car and there was no clearance issues. I'm looking for a slammed car that is set-up to handle like a champ.
The above poster is correct.
"slammed car" and "handles like a champ" usually do not go in the same sentence for a street car.
If you want a car that "handles like a champ" talk to Sam Strano, I think multiple SCCA wins speak for themselves... With his setup you won't believe you are driving the same car, it lives up to the hype.

Vettes run around lowered and are MUCH lower than our cars. Im sure some people out there with coil-overs are slammed... post up!
Corvette's have completely difference suspension geometry, and will take to lowering much better.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG

Corvette's have completely difference suspension geometry, and will take to lowering much better.
he might have meant clearance wise.
either way, you dont want to go too much lower than a pro kit does.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Regular

my car is DROPPED on eibach's and it honestly sits lower than its supposed to. Not the slighest clue why either
Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the good ole Eibach Prokit rear spring sag.

To get a F-body to handle you do not have to slam it to the ground.

Take some time a read this article

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

not to bead a dead horse, but if you really want to handle well, get koni SA and strano springs. that will get it as low as you could want, and nothing will handle better. ive gotten plenty of compliments on my cars stance. 'slamming' an f-body just looks trashy and stupid. the biggest clearance issue will be your exhaust. if its stock or just cat-back, you should be alright. headers and catted-Y will be a problem, depending on how tucked up you can get it.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

I think you already asked about my ghetto-awesome suspension didn't you? I wouldn't exactly say it "handles like a champ."

Last edited by 97redTA; 08-25-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look for slammed1500's Camaro. It touches the ground.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok guys, i dont want this to get into a shitfest here. I am not looking for a ghetto who ride on airbags for shows. I am simply asking about lowered cars. I figured on coil overs you could go pretty low and still handle great with the low CG.

97RedTA, your suspension looks awesome! How is the ride around town, does it ride like **** or not really? Do you bottom out a lot of stuff? I think you said its sportlines with a coil cut up front?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ok guys, i dont want this to get into a shitfest here. I am not looking for a ghetto who ride on airbags for shows. I am simply asking about lowered cars. I figured on coil overs you could go pretty low and still handle great with the low CG.
You need suspension travel to handle though, especially with a solid axle.
PM "00 Trans Ram" and ask what is average ride height is.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=20116
As you can see here, he has a road racer with adjustable coils:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing/968246-anyone-got-c-prepared-4th-gen-f-body.html

His car certainly doesn't look slammed.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Actually, I think it was more like 2 cut in front and a half in back. It's really not much worse than just regular sportlines- the coils on the end were all flat already- So I guess it didn't really change anything about the springs except made them shorter. I'm sure some good shocks would help a ton, too. Of course you have to be careful what you drive over, but with a little finesse, I can get it over most speed bumps without even touching.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

97RedTA, your suspension looks awesome! How is the ride around town, does it ride like **** or not really? Do you bottom out a lot of stuff? I think you said its sportlines with a coil cut up front?
You are missing the point here...even with adjustable coil-overs (like the ones I have on my car), you are still limited by the amount of shock travel you need. I've found this to be especially true in the back. We aren't making this **** up...a slammed f-body and truly awesome handling just don't go together.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Autofab Coil-Over kit with QA1 Drag shocks all around. The receipt from the previous owners said "QA1-Autofab Kit 300" So maybe thats 300 spring all around? I'm ripping them out and going back to shocks and springs, then i'm selling the QA1's and coil over kit.

Pics, (car wasnt on a fully flat surface)

on the street:

Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mines pretty darn low
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/DSC01120.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/DSC01126.jpg
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Mine is as low as I can reasonably get away with...... [mine sat low in stock form for some unknown reason, as you can see with stock spring/hose in rear W/Bilstein]] [Car was new...18 miles on it or something..gotta look it up for sure]
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

NHRAMan that's probably because SLP Cars came with Bilstein shocks and lowering springs.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the BMR springs, the fronts have a coil cut and in the rear I have the isolator out and the hose mod done. Everyone says my car is stupid low. I'm getting coilovers in the next month or so, so I can lower the front just a bit more and the rears I'm thinking about getting the sportlines. I love the look of a slammed car. Granted I have a good amount of trouble now getting around, but hopefully soon I can get a custom Y-pipe made because that's my mail source of trouble...as you can see...

BTW LT14mula...your car looks sick man.

Quick Reply: who's f-body is LOW?