Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pro kit people...is this right?? (bump stop question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro kit people...is this right?? (bump stop question)

I just put my pro kit on with front KYB AGX shocks..the front rides awesome....However, im still on the rear stock shocks until I can get some money up for some real nice adjustable's...

When I hit bumps, my rear end is rough as hell and makes like a clunking sound (sounds near the rims)....is this My axle hitting my bump stops?? Or is it just because of the shitty stock rear shocks?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I've got pro's on stock shocks and my guess would be that your shocks are just wore out....how many miles are on the car?
Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ridin the bumpstops. It will still do it with shocks. Terrible rear spring rates.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MMMZ/28
I've got pro's on stock shocks and my guess would be that your shocks are just wore out....how many miles are on the car?
bought the car with 43k on it...it has 52k on it now.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Ridin the bumpstops. It will still do it with shocks. Terrible rear spring rates.
how do I fix this? can I take the bump stops off?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 AM
12 Second Club

I have the same problem with my car! I even replaced the rear with BMR's and still hittng the bumpstops pretty bad, I think the shocks are the problem
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
bought the car with 43k on it...it has 52k on it now.
It wont really matter if the stock shocks are "wore out" or not because they are not valved for lowering springs in the first place.

Probably don't want to do that, because then the next thing to hit will either be your axle directly to the bottom of your car, or the shock bump stops.
First try getting better shocks in the rear, because regardless of spring the stock decarbon shocks are pretty **** poor.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you lowered the car, the rear axle isn't centered anymore. Are your wheels/tires rubbing the fenderwells anywhere?

For the record, I have the pro-kit/Bilstein set up in my car and don't hit the bumpstops.....
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
When you lowered the car, the rear axle isn't centered anymore. Are your wheels/tires rubbing the fenderwells anywhere?

For the record, I have the pro-kit/Bilstein set up in my car and don't hit the bumpstops.....
not sure why you saw the rear axle isnt centered anymore...cause mine is. Not hitting anywhere unless I hammer a turn REAL hard, and I have 315's on my car.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

not sure why you saw the rear axle isnt centered anymore...cause mine is. Not hitting anywhere unless I hammer a turn REAL hard, and I have 315's on my car.
Hello, usually when you lower your car it shifts the body off to one side and you will need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the body over the rear. If you find that you need one we have an on car adjustable with urethane bushings for $134.95 or a poly/rod on car adjustable for $139.95.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Go out with a tape measure and measure from your wheel well to the outside of your tire on both sides. If the measurement is not even, then your axle is pushed to one side (drivers side).
Old 09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. It sure was. Mine was 3/4 inch off. I fixed that **** as soon I got my PHB in and a day off. I felt weird driving the car like that. I felt people were like " wtf?" Now my problem is I need the fender mod for those 315s. Every bump or dip, it scraps the rubber off. I drove it the other day, with shitty bad clutch and trans popping gears out and forcing them in, gears breaking in their, to get an inspection sticker on my non cat. / 15% side windows and all. It rubbed awful. That was a bad driving car day for me. WIsh I knew who to trust to check my car out so I could drive it everyday again instead of just looking at it in my garage just sitting there. Did get sticker though.(p.o.s. space occupier)

Last edited by Medic/Z28; 09-15-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Go out with a tape measure and measure from your wheel well to the outside of your tire on both sides. If the measurement is not even, then your axle is pushed to one side (drivers side).

I did this...they are both the same. Its even.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I did this...they are both the same. Its even.

First of all, if you "lowered" the car with the Eibach pro-kit springs, and you rear is still truly centered, you're the FIRST in history to have that happen.

Having said that, looking at the picture in your signature, if that is your car, it appears the tires are even with the outside of the fenders. If so, you're not bottoming the suspension when you hit a bump, you planting the lip of the fenders on the tires....
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

First of all, if you "lowered" the car with the Eibach pro-kit springs, and you rear is still truly centered, you're the FIRST in history to have that happen.

Having said that, looking at the picture in your signature, if that is your car, it appears the tires are even with the outside of the fenders. If so, you're not bottoming the suspension when you hit a bump, you planting the lip of the fenders on the tires....

I have BMR LCA's and a Spohn torque arm which I think are keeping my axle pretty straight.

from the inside of my wheel well, to the outside of my tire, on both sides it measured 14". The top of my tires sit flush with the top of my fenders, but they dont hit. Their is no sign's of rubbing on the outside tires/fenders what so ever...plus the sound is like a Clunking sound...not a rubbing one.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Check to see if the axle is hitting the exhaust pipe. Look for a shiny spot on the overaxle pipe .
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Check to see if the axle is hitting the exhaust pipe. Look for a shiny spot on the overaxle pipe .

this WAS a issue, but I pushed my exhaust up as high as it could go, and banged in a spot where it was hitting...now it has the clearance.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remove the bumpstop spacers. for sure, you're riding the bumpstops. you're not even feeling the pro-kit spring rate back there.

if you're getting sound during articulation of the rear suspension, check to make sure your rear springs are seated correctly as there's not much clearance, they could be hitting the body. check the springs (actually, check everywhere to find out what it is) for wear marks.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

....From the inside of my wheel well, to the outside of my tire, on both sides it measured 14". The top of my tires sit flush with the top of my fenders, but they dont hit. Their is no sign's of rubbing on the outside tires/fenders what so ever...plus the sound is like a Clunking sound...not a rubbing one.

Now I'm really confused.... Your post got me thinking, so I went out to the garage, with tape measure in hand. If I measure from the inside of my fenderwells to the furthest outside edge of my rear quarter panels, I come up with 13" (both sides). My car is a '96. are the later cars different? 'Cause if my tires' outside edges were 14" from the inner fenderwell, they'd be 1" outside the fenders....
Old 09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Now I'm really confused.... Your post got me thinking, so I went out to the garage, with tape measure in hand. If I measure from the inside of my fenderwells to the furthest outside edge of my rear quarter panels, I come up with 13" (both sides). My car is a '96. are the later cars different? 'Cause if my tires' outside edges were 14" from the inner fenderwell, they'd be 1" outside the fenders....
I have TTM rims which are staggered and I have Goodyear Eagle F1's in 315's back there. They are the widest 315 tire on the market. Its 13.5" (measured wrong the first time) on my car from the inside wheel well, to the outside tire.....

heres some pics...

Last edited by kidcamaro98; 09-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Pro kit people...is this right?? (bump stop question)