Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR stuff is crap ... now I have proof!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: BMR stuff is crap ... now I have proof!

I would agree.

Don't buy a cheap part expecting it to work and last like a better engineered and designed part.

The better parts typically are more expensive.

The unfortunate thing is, folks buy according to their wallet, instead of application.

Guilty as charged ...
Old 09-27-2003, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree.

Don't buy a cheap part expecting it to work and last like a better engineered and designed part.

The better parts typically are more expensive.

The unfortunate thing is, folks buy according to their wallet, instead of application.

Guilty as charged ...
Well said. Road Racing will bring out the weak link of a suspension, even if it's an aftermarket piece. Buy parts specifically designed for the application.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't misunderstand me ...

If you don't think that aggressive or semi-aggressive street driving puts equal forces as when on a road course, then you will be in for a big suprise, someday.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

i drove my car on a road track a lot harder than i would ever see on the street i thought my tires were gonna come off my rims
Old 09-28-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

That track was propbably relatively smooth, never shocking or pounding the suspension, like a pothole, a 2x4 or a speed bump ... or even the manuever to avoid them ...
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Two things - one comment, one question.

First, as someone who works as an engineer at GM's proving grounds, I can tell you stuff is tested way beyond what an average car will see on the street. There are countless tracks and roads out there designed to do nothing but beat the tar out of cars in every way imaginable. I'm not even in development (yet), but you should see what I get to do to some of those cars as part of my work as an engineer - and that's coming from someone with a circle track and road course karting background.

Secondly, I'm not entirely convinced that these failures wouldn't happen with any poly/poly bushing rear suspension piece. The way our rear axles move, smooth pavement or not, something has to give. When you take out the rubber bushings and slap rock hard poly in there, either the sheet metal on the car has to give or the metal surrounding the bushing has to. Going back to my experience in the OEM world, my money's on the aftermarket part.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure I agree with the second part.

If something must move, even rod ends wouldn't do the trick. And then it wouldn't just be on the panhard, it would include all suspension components that are replaced with rod ends.
Old 10-04-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm starting to remember why I don't like Poly bushings (I never really liked them, but I'm seeing more "results").

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...threadid=11858

Interesting....

In all fairness, I posted this because it is a "Non-BMR failure". Someone in here said something about everyone having failures and that is a reasonable statement. So, I tossed this info up to help illustrate that point. And this failure was from a well respected suspension company. This won't change the fact that I don't like BMR's new or old designs and I find the quality of their rod ends to be inferior to almost everyone. But, it does show that "stuff happens" to other manufacturers as well...

It may be the beginning of a trend towards "why we shouldn't use poly bushings in places they don't belong (more than 1 axis of rotation).
My thoughts...

This is a repeat of one of my earlier posts (in case it got "lost" in all the replies....)

I agree completely with this statement:

Secondly, I'm not entirely convinced that these failures wouldn't happen with any poly/poly bushing rear suspension piece. The way our rear axles move, smooth pavement or not, something has to give. When you take out the rubber bushings and slap rock hard poly in there, either the sheet metal on the car has to give or the metal surrounding the bushing has to. Going back to my experience in the OEM world, my money's on the aftermarket part.
After a "period of time" you will either:

1.Destroy the bushing.
2.Break the housing the bushing is in.
3.Tear the sheetmetal that the control arm mounts to.
4.Break the control arm bolt (fatigue cycles).

The suspension is designed to move in various planes of motion, if something restricts this motion (other than the bumpstops or the limits of shock travel), that part will be subjected to tremendous loads. The only way to help this situation is to reduce those loads. If you don't take steps to reduce the loads, the suspension will eventually do it for you (something will break). I think we are starting to see this first hand. Everything has a fatigue life, we are just starting to see what that lifespan actually is.

However, I don't agree with this statement:

If something must move, even rod ends wouldn't do the trick. And then it wouldn't just be on the panhard, it would include all suspension components that are replaced with rod ends.
By "move" he is not talking about slop or "give" in a front to rear direction. He is saying that the parts must be free to rotate as the manufacturer designed it to do. Rubber has a natural "give", but it gives in directions that it shouldn't. Heim joints allow us to make the suspension "give" only in the directions that we are asking it to move in. We can be very solid front to rear and yet offer almost no resistance to rotational motion and the correct articulation of the rear suspension.

It's getting late and I hope this answer makes sense....I'll re-read it tomorrow.

Keep the shiny side up!
Old 10-04-2003, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think sometimes we forget good ole momentum.

If something is rock solid, then forces have to go beyond sheer of the weakest part.

If something has slop, there are still the same forces applied, however there is now shock involved.

With bushings deflecting and with back and forth forces applied, like during a spin, the shock forces have to be tremendous.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good point Mitch. I was only thinking about good old fashion "twisting it off"....the shock loads are an additional concern that I skipped. I was only considering new parts and new bushings...
Old 10-04-2003, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say Trackbird. I think a lot of poly/ploy fans forget the fact that unless your car is doing nothing but going in a straight line on level pavement (i.e. a drag strip) that there are twisting forces on bushings of both the LCA's and the PHB.

I totally agree with your comments on rod ends. As someone who grew up around circle tracks and midgets/sprint cars, I know how expensive a good rod end is. The only rod ends I'd trust in a hard-driven car are more expensive than I'd care to spend on my street car. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how expensive good rod ends are though...
Old 10-04-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just glad to see that my answer made sense. I'm not sure I was awake at the time.....
Old 10-04-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

there are twisting forces on bushings of both the LCA's and the PHB.

COnsider for a moment poly on one end and a rod on the opposite.

The only binding from twist would occur if the articulation was so severe that the rod end "housing" came in contact with the mount, correct?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Correct.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Sam Stranos makes a very nice PHB. It is chromoly steel so it is light yet strong. It has adjustable heim joints on each end. I have this in my car and hit the road course fun days several times a year. It is very solid and I bought it new for $169.00
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mbraun
Sam Stranos makes a very nice PHB. It is chromoly steel so it is light yet strong. It has adjustable heim joints on each end. I have this in my car and hit the road course fun days several times a year. It is very solid and I bought it new for $169.00
Geesh, why revive an almost 4 year old thread...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People never look at the dates. I'm guessing he did a search & just replied without reading the date.

Quick Reply: BMR stuff is crap ... now I have proof!