Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good choices in shocks when you changed to lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 1" BMR springs. Looking to make it ride similar to stock but lowered. Can't go the 1k for the Konis so need another good option.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Call me, I'd be happy to discuss options. I will NOT recommend shocks to you by e-mail.... That's not good customer service IMHO.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I have 1" BMR springs. Looking to make it ride similar to stock but lowered. Can't go the 1k for the Konis so need another good option.
A good option is going to be the KYB AGX's I have had them on my own personal car (2000 ws6) with our springs for over a year and enjoy the way the car handles and rides.....
Old 09-24-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
A good option is going to be the KYB AGX's I have had them on my own personal car (2000 ws6) with our springs for over a year and enjoy the way the car handles and rides.....
Have you guys ran through the mill of what is out there with your springs? KYB's Koni Edelbrock and Tokico? Would be nice info to offer up to those running your springs for what they are looking for in ride. Me I am looking for a Caddy ride not so much handling.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMR Tech
+1...ran BMR springs with stock ws.6 suspension for about 40k miles. rode farely well. than i upgraded to Bilsteins...feels alot tighter now but the ride comfort didnt suffer. dont think you can go wrong with KYB agx's or Bilsteins if your not plannin on doin any serious grunt racing. Koni's are definetly the way to go but they carry a hefty price tag and not all of us can afford it.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

FWIW, I just hung up with a man who has Bilstein's (and on stock springs), and just bought Koni's. Why? Because his Bilstein's that are about 4 years old can't damp even the stock springs these days. The car feels floaty, and it only gets worse with speed. That's a lack of rebound damping. If he's getting it with the softer and taller stock springs, why do you think the shocks would be so great teamed with springs (and spring, including mine) that demand more from the shocks?

I have no doubt the car is improved on Bilstein's vs. stock. But that's because stock is so pathetic, not because the Bilstein's have great rebound control. It's all relative.

Yeah, I know Koni's aren't cheap. You do indeed get what you pay for. If you can't swing them, that's fine. But you need to know that you will be getting shocks not as capable for as long, and you need to consider the long term costs and effects of that decision. I'd rather spend a little more and do it right, than save half get something that doens't work as well, and have to do it all over in a few years (which has you to the same price or higher if you pay for your work and/or consider that parts don't get cheaper in general).
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Sam, not sure if u can answer this or not, But on a car with ur springs what shock would u go with??If Konis are not a option. Also do you have any feedback on the Edlerbrock shocks??
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A502slo, I'm not sure if what I say will matter. Honestly it hasn't seemed to you in the past.

Why aren't Koni's an option? Please don't tell me cost, I know you've spent other monies on other things. I know nobody wants to spend Koni money, and that's fine. But if you want the car to work near as well as it can, you should have Koni's. I run Koni's. Why would I do that if I thought something else would work as well?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A502slo, I'm not sure if what I say will matter. Honestly it hasn't seemed to you in the past.

Why aren't Koni's an option? Please don't tell me cost, I know you've spent other monies on other things. I know nobody wants to spend Koni money, and that's fine. But if you want the car to work near as well as it can, you should have Koni's. I run Koni's. Why would I do that if I thought something else would work as well?
Sam i listen to what you say and use it the best i can. I did not race my car all year because i dont have the Susp to improve my times and feel safe. As far as option?? Well looking at ur website you seill options. At the same time you sell the KWs, why not run them???Just asking to ask. I will go with your sways in the near future. and them some shocks. But 1st for me i need a 6sp the A4 is just the best way to go. So small steps for me. But as far as this topic is what is the next best shock??
Old 09-26-2008, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Because I feel Koni's have better valving than KW. And frankly if you can't swing Koni's you can't afford KW's anyway.

You want to feel safe? Shocks are what give a car stability and predictability above all else. That's why I don't want to see folks on half-assed shocks and spending a mint on a bunch of other parts that just aren't as important.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Because I feel Koni's have better valving than KW. And frankly if you can't swing Koni's you can't afford KW's anyway.

You want to feel safe? Shocks are what give a car stability and predictability above all else. That's why I don't want to see folks on half-assed shocks and spending a mint on a bunch of other parts that just aren't as important.

As i said, i agree with you on the susp, but just like tires, some are better then others. Not everyone can afford to run Mich cup tires. For some the
Toyos are fine.
maybe it would be easer for some(myself included) if you could rate them in order of best to ok. I would assume the Konis would be best for your springs, then what??

Also does spring rate need to be changed with car weight??
Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can't make this more clear. The way the shocks are laid out for these cars, there isn't anything but Koni's I personally feel are worth putting on a lowered car, period. None of the shocks were either designed for, or tolerate lowering very well.

You are asking me to rate what else. When you get to inadequate over the long run, does it matter a ton? But fine, I'll humor you the best I can.

Bilstein's lack rebound control, but are better put together than anything else. Does that matter much if they can't damp the springs correctly? Maybe, if someone is willing to deal with underdamped for a long time. And the more spring rate you have, the worse it is (like your LG springs). They aren't really right for a long time.

AGX's allow you to tweak the damping and can better damp lowering springs, but aren't nearly as durable. They work pretty well but don't offer the combination of control without the smash & crash. Turn them down to be softer and they just lack control. And when they break KYB will tell you to take a hike. So they are better for control, but not for impact harshness (which upsets cars when driven near the limit, not just something that's annoying), and are like a cheap made in China tool. It'll work for a while, and when it breaks you'll be pissed you didn't buy something better.

Tokico's. Similar to Bilstein's, no reason to run them now that the better shocks are back in stock.. Not cheaper, not as well built.

Does that help?

Only Koni's offer you a huge range of useable damping. And because of that are the only ones I consider to be worth a damn with any spring beyond an LS1 Pro-kit (you can get away with Bilstein's there only because the spring rate is so soft).
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Have you guys ran through the mill of what is out there with your springs? KYB's Koni Edelbrock and Tokico? Would be nice info to offer up to those running your springs for what they are looking for in ride. Me I am looking for a Caddy ride not so much handling.
If your looking for a Caddy ride then use stock springs or buy a Caddy. The closest you can get to most comfortable ride I would say would be the Konis.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by A502slo
As i said, i agree with you on the susp, but just like tires, some are better then others. Not everyone can afford to run Mich cup tires. For some the
Toyos are fine.
maybe it would be easer for some(myself included) if you could rate them in order of best to ok. I would assume the Konis would be best for your springs, then what??

Also does spring rate need to be changed with car weight??
Sam gave you as much relevant info that he could on the post below yours, so that you could make your own informed decision. There is no ideal shock out there other than konis (or higher priced shocks). I know it's hard to believe but its true.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks that is all i was asking for and alot of other people. I am saving up for konis and his sways. But there are some people who just want a "killer look" and something to handle a off ramp well. Once i went out and really raced hard and pushed the car i felt how much i did not like what it was doing. i had to understand what was wrong to know what was right, and for me that was trying it. I liked the HDs and Lgs on the car, and felt good driving around. I even did a few races with it, at first i thought i was ok, got a 3rd and 5th and SummittPoint VW. But now i know i need more. So how much for the rear Konis? with the springs i have(lg)
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

There seems to be a trend that lots of people assume who don't understand suspension too well. That's that a good performing autox setup can't be comfortable to ride on. They assume this, but then again I thought they didn't understand suspension to well... right??? So I guess they really understand suspension then???

A good handling/competitive autox or road racing setup can go hand in hand with a comfortable ride. It's all in the shocks. A high rate spring set like 800 front and 200 rear that is well dampened will probably be less comfortable to most people who have a 550 front and 150 rear that is well dampened. The problem is most people don't have their springs well dampened, and that leads to worse ride quality than the same springs that are well dampened.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni's really are worth the cash man.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

if you got the money, yeah
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Honestly if I didn't have the money, I'd keep the stock decarbons in there
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Just put the Konis on the damn credit card and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Good choices in shocks when you changed to lowering springs?