Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Even revalved shocks are going to ride harsher due to lack of compression travel if lowered, but any shock will benefit from this mod if the car is lowered. That is to say, what can you reasonably expect any shock to do with 1-2" less travel than that for which it was designed?
Stranos revalved Bilsteins are basically the same as a non-adjustable Koni. Let me just get that out there.

Now as far as ride quality goes, there are a lot of factors.

Stock height: revalved will ride better than DeCarbons.

Lowered: same thing.

Even a revalved shock on a slightly lowered car will ride better than a DeCarbon at stock height.

I even prefer the ride quality of my Koni's and 550 lb springs with 2" of compression travel over the stock height, stock shock and stock spring setup, but just barely. The superior stability and handling gives it the advantage. Now I could soften my Koni SA's rebound and make it ride smoother, but what's the fun in that?

Last edited by JasonWW; 11-19-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats cool looking, I had thought about that before when i swapped springs, but didnt want to go threw all the bugs to figure it out
Old 11-22-2008, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're getting a lot of confusion because people are trying to apply this mod specifically to their cars. What if they're at stock ride height? What if they cut their springs or have an eibach prokit and are still using stock shocks. I understand you completely but most people don't know what spring rate they have and why it will damage shocks over time. Can you put the info out in lets say, different scenario forms with different rates and shock combos? I know this is alot of work but I don't know many people with band saws to cut these things and would be willing to pay u to do it for me.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AllThrottle4U
I think you're getting a lot of confusion because people are trying to apply this mod specifically to their cars. What if they're at stock ride height? What if they cut their springs or have an eibach prokit and are still using stock shocks. I understand you completely but most people don't know what spring rate they have and why it will damage shocks over time. Can you put the info out in lets say, different scenario forms with different rates and shock combos? I know this is alot of work but I don't know many people with band saws to cut these things and would be willing to pay u to do it for me.
IMO, If my car was at stock height I wouldn't do it; there's no reason to.
Also if you don't have a basic understanding your F-body suspension, or why you would do this "Mod" don't do it.
And if you don't feel comfortable about doing this "Mod", again don't do it.
Furthermore this "Mod" does not require a band-saw, it's only recommended, but I definitely would recommend it!
I actually did mine with a dremel on the first one, which took around 1 hour to do and the other with a hacksaw, which took me around 30 minutes with taking several 5 minute breaks.

Myself I read this thread probably 5 times before I really contemplated doing this "Mod"; I would suggest the same to everyone who has any interest in doing it.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

just a bump for the new year.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to do this Jason. I think it's one of the best free mods available to date. Very innovative. I sure hope you're making a lot of money doing smart **** like this for a living.
~Austin
Old 01-31-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Great Mod, I'm glad I did it!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay, where you able to find out if Bilstein will work with this set up?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, any replacement shock for our cars with a bayonet upper shock mount will work!
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattl31
wow and i thought i was a badass when i lowered my car 1.75" and had it still ride decent.

looks pretty good man. i think you're one crazy f*ck, but i have always admired your ideas and the fact that you actually have the ***** to try them. i could never personally tear into my car like that. glad someone out there is crazy enough to come up with new ideas
Originally Posted by JasonWW
It's just metal and rubber. Anything is possible.

Oh yeah, with this mod it would ride like it was only lowered 1/2". Cool, huh?
I read through this entire thread. I must say that this is a awesome idea, although, I am guessing that this mod is only necessary for those that push their cars that hard. That being said, I have to question my statement because of your above statement that you made on the first page.

My car is lowered with 97 SS SLP springs and Koni DA's. I am not sure just how much it is lowered, but it is noticable in the way it looks and rides. Would performing this mod make my car ride like it was lowered half of the total drop?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I read through this entire thread. I must say that this is a awesome idea, although, I am guessing that this mod is only necessary for those that push their cars that hard. That being said, I have to question my statement because of your above statement that you made on the first page.

My car is lowered with 97 SS SLP springs and Koni DA's. I am not sure just how much it is lowered, but it is noticable in the way it looks and rides. Would performing this mod make my car ride like it was lowered half of the total drop?
You gain back the compression travel lost when lowering 4 gen fbodies, which is about an inch, so in essence your car should ride like stock with the added lower center of gravity for handling.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by maxgee
You gain back the compression travel lost when lowering 4 gen fbodies, which is about an inch, so in essence your car should ride like stock with the added lower center of gravity for handling.
I find that hard to believe? I guess then I just don't understand this mod ?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I find that hard to believe? I guess then I just don't understand this mod ?
when you lower your car, you loose some compression...the compressing of the wheel into the wheel well. you loose about an inch, this is what makes roughens up the ride, you fix that with this mod
Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

when you lower your car, you loose some compression...the compressing of the wheel into the wheel well. you loose about an inch, this is what makes roughens up the ride, you fix that with this mod
So I will notice a difference in ride quality even thought I do not drive my car as aggressively as some?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I will notice a difference in ride quality even thought I do not drive my car as aggressively as some?
It's not really meant for aggressive driving although advantages will be felt as you will have more compression. If you daily drive your car, this is where you feel the difference.
Wheel travel example below.
stock car : 3 inches travel up and 3 inches travel down
lowered car : 2 inches travel up and 4 inches travel down (pothole ouch!!)
shock mod : 3 inches travel up and 3 inches travel down
Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

It's not really meant for aggressive driving although advantages will be felt as you will have more compression. If you daily drive your car, this is where you feel the difference.
lowered car : 2 inches travel up and 4 inches travel down (pothole ouch!!)
shock mod : 3 inches travel up and 3 inches travel down
Thanks for explaining it. I do daily drive my car. I live on a rough dirt road where pot holes are hugh (I do try to avoid them) so I should notice a better ride.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for explaining it. I do daily drive my car. I live on a rough dirt road where pot holes are hugh (I do try to avoid them) so I should notice a better ride.
i haven't done it yet, but the couple who have say they loved it and in theory should put you to what a stock camaro feels like going over bumps.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

According to this page you probably have either a 1/2" or 3/4" drop. http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
With this mod you'll gain more than that much travel back. Now since you have progressive springs, all the gains will be in the stiffer 450lb/in. part of the rate. Under normal smooth-ish roads the ride will be the same, but rougher sections, potholes and dips will be noticable less rough.

Your lowered car : 2 1/4 inches travel up and 3 3/4 inches travel down (pothole ouch!!)
shock mod : 3 1/4 inches travel up and 2 3/4 inches travel down
(Like off-road vehicle = good )

I don't know if I've said this or not, but
this mod is recalibrating your bumpstops.

The factory has to limit wheel travel very much on the safe side. Just from my experiments, there is easily an extra inch of room in the fenders for the tire to go up more. We are just taking advantage of that extra space.

If you lower the car an inch and then move the bumpstops up an inch, you've compensated. Ride quality is back to where is was originally.

As far as aggressive driving and rough roads are concerned, more suspension travel helps keeps the tires on the ground and allows the suspension to keep the car more level. More grip and a smoother ride is good for racers as well as the average guy.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-08-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
According to this page you probably have either a 1/2" or 3/4" drop. http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
With this mod you'll gain more than that much travel back. Now since you have progressive springs, all the gains will be in the stiffer 450lb/in. part of the rate. Under normal smooth-ish roads the ride will be the same, but rougher sections, potholes and dips will be noticable less rough.

I don't know if I've said this or not, but
this mod is recalibrating your bumpstops.

The factory has to limit wheel travel very much on the safe side. Just from my experiments, there is easily an extra inch of room in the fenders for the tire to go up more. We are just taking advantage of that extra space.

If you lower the car an inch and then move the bumpstops up an inch, you've compensated. Ride quality is back to where is was originally.

As far as aggressive driving and rough roads are concerned, more suspension travel helps keeps the tires on the ground and allows the suspension to keep the car more level. More grip and a smoother ride is good for racers as well as the average guy.
I still can not understand how this mod does not lower the car the same amount that is cut off of the bump stop?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still can not understand how this mod does not lower the car the same amount that is cut off of the bump stop?
Because these mods are done inside the spring, to the shock only.

PS, we are not cutting the bumpstop, we are shifting it's location, moving it higher.

Quick Reply: Modifying Your Front Upper Shock Mount