Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which springs for under 1" drop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Wanted to add something:

In looking at your sig, you have a GMMG exhaust. Those aren't cheap, and you can get systems for half the price. Why pick that one? Probably because you liked the sound or the look. Those are fine reasons, but to then turn around and winch on the price of Koni's which are far more complicated to build, take a far bigger pounding and have a FAR bigger effect on performance is a bit confusing to me.
Maybe because handling is not the top priority for everyone here? Maybe that guy prefers to spend HIS money on what is, to him, more important; in this case freeing more HP and looking for a better sound. Following that same reasoning then...why does he have an f-body?? If he really wants a better, superior ride, why didnt he went for a Corvette???? Hell, maybe even the guy got a great deal on that exhaust!! The reason is simple: everyone is different, as well as tastes and preferences...

You are a very knowledgeable guy, no doubt, but sometimes it seems you try a bit too hard to convince EVERYONE to get Konis. For what Ive seen almost 99% of your arguments end up with "get Konis" LOL!!

Please do not take the wrong way, I just find it funny in a way!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm sorry, isn't this the "suspension and brake" forum? And while your generic idea of "handling" might not be the goal for everyone it's clear that this man is concerned with how the car drive. You can review his original post if you don't recall, but he dislikes how the car drives and feels floaty.....

I don't sell everyone Koni's. In fact I don't recommend Koni's to everyone. I do recommend them a lot because they are the best, period. I will not apologize for recommending a good product, and I'd hope the sheer volume of folks who have Koni's and have said they wouldn't have anything else again would at least make you realize that it's not a bunch of hype cooked up by me.

My point on the exhaust was this--He wants what he wants and both the lowering and the improved driving can be had with the Koni's. But he said something along the like of "gee they are expensive". I was simply pointing out his GMMG isn't cheap, but a lot more simplistic in it's design, and a lot less important on the performance side of things. Yes, it sounds good and I wasn't knocking his buying it, GMMG's are very nice. But gee... they are expensive.

And you are right, everyone has different wants. I find it ironic that you are telling me that when I'm the one telling others that all the time. In fact it's one reason I believe in adjustable dampers so much, so folks can tune their ride and/or handling in to what they like best.

I'm sorry, but I think you jumped the gun here. Having just re-read the OP's first statements which included this comment "I would also like the roll to be reduced, to have a less 'floatey' ride." he is indeed looking for better handling. He wants less roll (the amount of which is dealt with by springs and/or bars, the rate which it's generated is done with damping), and less float (also done with damping). Those are two *BIG* factors under the generic heading of handling to me. So I don't think it's accurate to use this thread to imply that maybe he's not interested in handling..... YMMV.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is my daily driver with just "spirited driving." I've had SLP Eibach/Bilstein combo and they don't even compare with not only the handling of Koni's but have a better ride even though the car is now lower (i.e. less susp. travel). Mr. Strano does not ALWAYS recommend Koni's but they are definitely the best shock that I've tried on this car by far. In fact when I ordered them off of Sam's website, he called me to ask what I was doing with the car to make sure they were what best suited my needs. He may talk about Koni's in his posts, and for good reason, but he does always say to CALL HIM to discuss options. If he always suggested Koni's he'd just say order koni's off his site.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chaman
You are a very knowledgeable guy, no doubt, but sometimes it seems you try a bit too hard to convince EVERYONE to get Konis. For what Ive seen almost 99% of your arguments end up with "get Konis" LOL!!

Please do not take the wrong way, I just find it funny in a way!
Why is it funny? Here's the deal. If the budget allows, then konis will be recommended 100% of the time. There's a reason for it. Great dampening, great build quality, and great warranty. No other shocks come close to konis. The extra 400 more bucks gives you a lot of bang for your buck. Naturally you'd recommend konis 100% of the time if the budget allows, I'll always recommend people save extra money if they can do it to buy konis.

It may seem hard to believe, but there just is no other shock that you can put side by side with konis, except more expensive ones. That's just the way it is. And that's why Sam and a lot of us recommend them.

Hossinater is right... when the budget doesn't allow, theres a few different types of shocks that are second choice. Unless you've been living under a rock, Sam recommends different shocks in this case.

If you want to just get different shocks just for the sake of being different, then by all means go for it. I'll stick with what works the best.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you all for your honest replys.

I am now seriously considering new shocks.
And yes, I will really consider Konis.