Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which springs for under 1" drop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which springs for under 1" drop?

I want some new springs for the front and rear of my 2001 WS6, but I only want a drop of 1" MAX for the front (dont mind if it's a bit more on the back).

I would prefer only 3/4" drop for the front.

I would also like the roll to be reduced, to have a less 'floatey' ride.

Which springs should I get??

Thanks in advance.......
Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Koni SAs on the lower perch with stock springs... meets your criteria and it would be the right way to start modding the suspension. The "floatyness" (<--LOL) you feel in the car is due to the shocks, not the springs.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

What he said - with the heater hose mod in the rear. Results are a 3/4" drop f/r.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Launching!

SLP Eibach's (I believe it was the level 2 optional suspension that could be ordered when the car was new). they drop about 3/4" in the front and 3/4 to 1" in the back, handles nicely with the SLP bilsteins too. You can get them from SLP direct or some sponsors might sell them too. I had this kit for a few years and liked it.

The other route is to go with a Ground Control setup they allow adjustable height on all four corners. You can find info at ground-control-store.com and I believe that ws6store.com and sam strano both sell the kits. You an even select the spring rates. This is the kit I have now so I can get the right clearance for the STS kit.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BMR give you 1" drop. I got mine recently and they will be paired up with KYB adjustables.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are many other options. like 1LE srings on Koni's with the clip on the second landing. Or Koni's and your lowering spring(Stano) and custom sized collars. Like my trailblaser SS has the clips removed and a custom steel collar on it lowers it and keeps stock ride. Not that stock ride in a camaro is the greatest.

I have tried MANY springs and hated them all. As of now I have 1LE's on Koni's highest clip. and it still sets low! to much weight. And I want better handling and more spring so Sam's with custom collars.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Here's a few more options:
There's also the Edelbrock IAS front shock/spring combo with adjustable ride height.

Then you have the GlobalWest front ride height adjustible coilover sleeves, which IMO is the best kit out there for non-theaded front shocks for our cars.

For the rear :

(1) Hose mod w/factory springs(-.75").
(2) BMR lowering springs (-1")
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the BMR's in front and hose mod in the rear. I have a thread on here with pics and measurements if you want to check it out. I am installing the rears this weekend. May change though so if you are in the market when the time comes you could buy mine.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all your replys.

I don't have Konis, so can't do the perch mod, but it looks like a good option

I have already done the hose mod, and would still like to drop the rear again.

I will look into BMR springs and SLP Eibach's sound like a good possability too.

I see Hotchkis also have springs advertised as 1" drop also.

Like the drop Intercooler2, very nice, a good rake too.

If I drop 1" all round, do I NEED new shocks, or can the stockers handle it?

If I drop the front too much for my liking, can I raise it a tad somehow, kind of like a reverse hose mod etc?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the hotchkis springs with koni SA's. The drop is a little more than the advertised 1". I would get new shocks with a set of lowering springs. I recommend you to speak to Sam Strano as he can point you in the right direction. Your rear end might sit lower with lowering springs without the rear isolator.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Definately recommend new shocks. The stock DeCarbons are not that great
Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

I agree, new shocks would be great, but, do I NEED them?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by taws6
If you want to control the springs then you need them.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You want improved handling and a less floaty ride correct? Floaty/disconnected ride = shocks that cannot control the springs. These cars feel sloppy, and have snap over steer stock because of how the shocks are valved (or rather not valved).
Shocks should be the very first thing to do to improve handling on these cars, you shouldn't even think about other mods yet. Save your money and invest in some Konis, especially since you live in a place like England with lots of narrow, twisty roads.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the replys guys.

I guess new shocks would be a good move.
I was thinking of doing PHR, LCA and SFC later on, would shocks be better instead of these to improve handleing?

I would love to do all of these things, but the funds just dont allow.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You would not need shocks but it dont have to be Konis. Almost any new shock will be an improvement over the stock ones. If you race the car then go for them but if not consider getting another setup. I went with KYB adjustables for that reason. My car is not a daily driver nor I race. I went with BMR springs (1" drop) and really like the way it handles. I also didnt felt the need to spend over a $1000 dollars for a weekend cruiser.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess new shocks would be a good move.
I was thinking of doing PHR, LCA and SFC later on, would shocks be better instead of these to improve handleing?

I would love to do all of these things, but the funds just dont allow.
Yes, (good)shocks will be a bigger improvement than all three of those combined. SFC's make an arguable difference, most don't see any improvements. PHB is not needed unless you lower the car, but it doesn't hurt any. And the stock LCA's are fine for handling.
I installed my konis first, then later the front bar, then rear, then the springs. So I know how my car behaves with each mod.
My Konis made a bigger improvement than both the swaybars and springs (which was a dramatic improvement in itself). Both the springs and swaybars flattened the car out, and gave overall more cornering grip. And the front swaybar gave slightly more steering feel.
The shocks on the other hand not only improved overall grip, but steering and chassis feel, balance (no more snap oversteer, and the car is so much more easy to control, especially over bumpy surfaces), and a better ride (BMW like, firm but not jarring, actually made the interior quieter, no more rattles).
With just the shocks I could throw my car into a corner harder than I would have imagined, feel everything it was doing, and make easy corrections mid corner if needed.
You can think of your question almost like if someone were to ask how to get more traction off the line, and asking if a bunch of different suspension parts would help, when the person is using spare doughnut tires. First replace the biggest problem (the doughtnut tires, or in your case the shocks) then go from there.

I'd opt for Konis over KYB because the KYB's adjust compression with the rebound, and don't warranty their shocks with lowering springs(which to me speaks about their quality).
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

So even if I only lower the car 1" I will need a phr?
What if I only drop the front 3/4, still need a phr?

I will try and find some decent shocks here.
I can get Monro shocks, but have herd they suck, which is a shame, as they are in stock locally.

Konis sound far superior the the competition, but that's a lot of $ for a weekend car as you said.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You need to think about this practically for a minute. You have a lot of opinions, that's all fine and dandy, but what have you actually gathered as far as knowledge to make a plan?

You can do anything you want from a set of lowering springs only, to shocks and springs with shocks not really the best valving for the springs, to Koni's with or without springs. So how do you decide?

You decide by asking yourself what you want from the car. What I see is you want the car to not be better damped, and a bit of a drop but not too much. Koni's will do both. Are they cheap? No. But have you stopped to add up what so-so shocks with springs and an adjustable PHB will cost? Here's a hint: Not a lot less...

Monroe shocks are a brand we carry--and they suck.

Edelbrock is a brand we carry and would be something we could discuss. But because I know the shocks are what make or break how these cars drive, I don't like to skimp on them. And while shocks like Koni's aren't cheap, they only cost around what a good set of tires costs and the tires will wear out long before the shocks. And again, I want to make sure you know that your complaints are all shock related.

To answer your statement/question "I agree, new shocks would be great, but, do I NEED them?" Hell yes. What you don't see is they are the one thing you DO need as they are the root of your complaints. The fact you can get a drop in and around what you seek is a bonus.

I ask you to think about this logically, and to do the math. Especially living in England because shipping isn't cheap, and the more parts you ship the more the costs add up. Best to buy what you need instead of what's cool. And I don't want to see you buying extra parts to band-aid the lack of proper parts. You'll simply spend more time and money trying to add another band-aid later.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Wanted to add something:

In looking at your sig, you have a GMMG exhaust. Those aren't cheap, and you can get systems for half the price. Why pick that one? Probably because you liked the sound or the look. Those are fine reasons, but to then turn around and winch on the price of Koni's which are far more complicated to build, take a far bigger pounding and have a FAR bigger effect on performance is a bit confusing to me.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!