Texas Classifieds Sell your items and vehicles here in Texas

4L60E can suck my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a A4 built and Its on a 408 with a 200 shot.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

I went through 13 in a 2 year period, out of the 13, 9 went out in a 3 month period...
that was about 3 years ago..
the last one, I had a year and a half, and no problems from it it was still running strong when I sold the vehicle..
I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel when someone tells you they can build you a bullet proof trans..

one thing I learned from my experience..
every transmission is going to break( if you are running the vehicle)..
it doesn't matter who builds it..
Something can always go wrong, and you just have to be prepared to know it's going to happen..
I always drove around with that nightmare floating around the back of my head.. lol

hope you get it fixed up for ya, and you get it going again..
Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Sorry to see you having the problems you are. You stated that the unit in the car is from a Sponsor here.... would it not still be under warranty if it failed inside 2,000 miles? If so, ask for a warranty repair.

g

The tranny was new but bought from another individual on here. They are not a sponsor anymore. The 3-4 clutch pack failed. Why? That is my point. There is no reason the clutch packs should be failing so quick. I know these transmissions don't like the WOT 3-4 shift, but this is retarded. I am aware of the clutch problems going around. It isn't like i make a **** load of power. I am only at 420 rwhp and 400 trq.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by playtoy
I know these transmissions don't like the WOT 3-4 shift, but this is retarded.
The load the transmission is under during the 3-4 shift to overdrive is alot. If you want to race from a roll you should do the 6 speed swap to avoid all the downshifting and what not that the 4L60E is notorious for not being able to handle. Trust me, been there done that. Hence why I did the 6 speed swap.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tranny was new but bought from another individual on here. They are not a sponsor anymore. The 3-4 clutch pack failed. Why? That is my point. There is no reason the clutch packs should be failing so quick. I know these transmissions don't like the WOT 3-4 shift, but this is retarded. I am aware of the clutch problems going around. It isn't like i make a **** load of power. I am only at 420 rwhp and 400 trq.
I ran into this thread on a search a few minutes ago. We've been slammed here since the Holidays and I have not been able to follow some threads like I try to do ordinarilly. Sorry for not answering your question sooner!

420 H/P- 400 Tq. is not too big of a problem at all for a correctly "well built" 4L60E. The reason I said what I did in my 1st post here is that I personally, myself installed countless combinations of 3/4 clutches back when we were developing our unit a few years ago. I went through Raybestos Z-Packs like they were diapers on a baby. I went through the Alto Red Eagles dang near as often. Both have their place in the Transmission world... just not in this unit for High Performance applications.

Those comments are based on my personal experience. Obviously others have their own opinion.

I will say this in the fullest confidence I know how to say it.... We have not lost one single 3/4 clutch pack since I went to the Borg Warner High Energy clutches stacked tight. There are quite a few of them in the mid 10.xx's, stroker engines on Spray, N/A engines, forced induction, etc... pick one and we have built a 60E for it.

No doubt it is not just the clutches though.... Not long after I bailed on the idea of a non traditional clutch stack, I switched to a Vacuum Modulator instead of the EPC for controlling Line Pressure. The Vac Modulator provide a very linear pressure rise as opposed to the very inconsistant digital pressure rise produced by the PCM/EPC combination.

Another thing I did was to implement some changes with the way we managed the 2/3 hydraulics through trial and error. By the time I was satisfied that I had solved the riddle I had a stack of 3/4 clutches that was almost up to my knee. I kept them all for reference during our R&D program.

So you can see there is much more to it than just installing trick parts. And sometimes trick parts is not the answer.

I know the OP is going to a 6 speed from looking around here. I hate to see it because I know that a correctly well built unit is a solid solution to his Transmission woes.

Good Luck and here's to going faster in '08!

g
Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much would it take to build a trans just as broke as his with the parts you just listed? P.M me thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
FormerVendor

LOL... I'll get right on that... gimme a minute.

g
Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM
FormerVendor

P.M. sent.

g
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just get it built right tha first time, remember you pay for what you get for i paid good money for mine and it's been shifting fine a chirping in 3 gears ever since
Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love to see guys complain about transmission failure.Why spend $1200.00 5 times when you can get a good one to start off withfor half that.I promise you the 4l60 I have in my car would go over 100,000 miles in your car.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
The load the transmission is under during the 3-4 shift to overdrive is alot. If you want to race from a roll you should do the 6 speed swap to avoid all the downshifting and what not that the 4L60E is notorious for not being able to handle. Trust me, been there done that. Hence why I did the 6 speed swap.
How much time and money did the swap cost you? The A4 is pissing me off too. Its like having an active Manning quaterback but not having the best one out of the two....lol,
Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by U LUZ
I love to see guys complain about transmission failure.Why spend $1200.00 5 times when you can get a good one to start off withfor half that.I promise you the 4l60 I have in my car would go over 100,000 miles in your car.
So will the 6 speed going in my car.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Second Club

man I got 12,000 miles on mine and lots of spray time and I mean lots
and still hit hard
Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
8 Second Club

low 10's on a 4600# truck, not sure how many passes later, 4l60e is still rocking, just get it built right and you wont want to change it anymore, trust me
Old 01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Flaco watz up homie
Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 3rd and 4th clutch packs

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
I ran into this thread on a search a few minutes ago. We've been slammed here since the Holidays and I have not been able to follow some threads like I try to do ordinarilly. Sorry for not answering your question sooner!

420 H/P- 400 Tq. is not too big of a problem at all for a correctly "well built" 4L60E. The reason I said what I did in my 1st post here is that I personally, myself installed countless combinations of 3/4 clutches back when we were developing our unit a few years ago. I went through Raybestos Z-Packs like they were diapers on a baby. I went through the Alto Red Eagles dang near as often. Both have their place in the Transmission world... just not in this unit for High Performance applications.

Those comments are based on my personal experience. Obviously others have their own opinion.

I will say this in the fullest confidence I know how to say it.... We have not lost one single 3/4 clutch pack since I went to the Borg Warner High Energy clutches stacked tight. There are quite a few of them in the mid 10.xx's, stroker engines on Spray, N/A engines, forced induction, etc... pick one and we have built a 60E for it.

No doubt it is not just the clutches though.... Not long after I bailed on the idea of a non traditional clutch stack, I switched to a Vacuum Modulator instead of the EPC for controlling Line Pressure. The Vac Modulator provide a very linear pressure rise as opposed to the very inconsistant digital pressure rise produced by the PCM/EPC combination.

Another thing I did was to implement some changes with the way we managed the 2/3 hydraulics through trial and error. By the time I was satisfied that I had solved the riddle I had a stack of 3/4 clutches that was almost up to my knee. I kept them all for reference during our R&D program.

So you can see there is much more to it than just installing trick parts. And sometimes trick parts is not the answer.

I know the OP is going to a 6 speed from looking around here. I hate to see it because I know that a correctly well built unit is a solid solution to his Transmission woes.

Good Luck and here's to going faster in '08!

g
I know this is an old post but i just found it...I ended up with Playtoys burn up 3rd and 4th clutch packs 4L60E...So i am going to fix it at home. Is there a small rebuild kit just for the 3rd and 4th clutches???
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know what my problem is either. I don't manual shift up or down, trans temp never gets hotter than 180*, and all three have smoked 3rd and 4th.
damn that sucks to hear, i manually downshift all the time, and i have 125k on mine. With a converter
Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine has 99,500 right now, still smooth as can be.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flaco3rdGen
low 10's on a 4600# truck, not sure how many passes later, 4l60e is still rocking, just get it built right and you wont want to change it anymore, trust me
+1, 4750 lbs, 408 with 2 kits spraying from 200-250, 12.5 wide slicks, daily drive it, streetrace, and at the track all the time. And never have any problems with it. You get what you pay for. Build it right the first time and you won't have these problems. You can't bitch when you buy used "built" trannies and they take a ****.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The funny thing is that swapping to an M6 isn't going to fix these problems either. They can still break and the clutch can go out.

Not to mention the extra cash thats going to be shelled out once it breaks the 10 bolt.