Anyone know of a lawyer in SM for an MIP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know of a lawyer in SM for an MIP?

Not for me.. Girl I know just got one, but she cant get it put on her record and doesnt have time for the community service etc. Asked if I knew of any lawyers that wont over charge her etc in SM that can get it dismissed.. completely?
LMK
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Good luck... I just got my MIP dismissed by one of the best lawyers in college station. It took about two years to get it taken care of and ended up costing about 500. It was a hassle and now I just kind of wish that I would have just gotten it over with and paid the ticket/community service
Old 10-12-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Did she only get a citation for it or did she get arrested for it? If it was only a citation, which it usually is, then to be honest it is easier to simply pay it and be done with it. Even the best lawyer has trouble getting someone off something as cut and dry and easy to prove as an MIP. What does she do, or plan to do after college, that a simple MIP citation is so harmful to her that she is willing to go a possibly long process and spend more money on a lawyer than the fine will cost? I don't know of many careers where an MIP is damaging.

Now if she got arrested for it, she can get a lawyer to beat the charges but it will always be on her criminal history.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

She wants to be a teacher. And she doesnt drink, she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
She wants to be a teacher. And she doesnt drink, she was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yup, it happens. They do background checks, but an MIP won't affect getting a job or not.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Felonies are what jobs look for.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

i doubt theyll care, have a friend who just got a job as a teacher and she had two MIPs. Also it would be pretty hypocritical if she was denied a spot because she drank during her college years.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

i come from a family of teachers, an MIP wont effect her at all. i have had 3 haha but with a laywer its gonna get expensive. i would just pay it
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Did she only get a citation for it or did she get arrested for it? If it was only a citation, which it usually is, then to be honest it is easier to simply pay it and be done with it. Even the best lawyer has trouble getting someone off something as cut and dry and easy to prove as an MIP. What does she do, or plan to do after college, that a simple MIP citation is so harmful to her that she is willing to go a possibly long process and spend more money on a lawyer than the fine will cost? I don't know of many careers where an MIP is damaging.

Now if she got arrested for it, she can get a lawyer to beat the charges but it will always be on her criminal history.

You would be surprised! I work for a major railroad here in Texas. If there are any alcohol related offences in the last 5 years including an MIP we will not hire them. So in my opinion it is worth paying to get it dismissed if at all possible.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by wild thing
Yup, it happens. They do background checks, but an MIP won't affect getting a job or not.
Says a lot for our teachers here in Texas. You can have an Alcohol offence and still be in charge of our kids!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KwikC6
Says a lot for our teachers here in Texas. You can have an Alcohol offence and still be in charge of our kids!
Yeah.... people do make mistakes before they turn 21. Its called living and learning
Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Not for me.. Girl I know just got one, but she cant get it put on her record and doesnt have time for the community service etc. Asked if I knew of any lawyers that wont over charge her etc in SM that can get it dismissed.. completely?
LMK
Thanks.
I'm a SWT Alumni and this is so typical!! hahah it happened to me. Got arrested and put in holding tank for a few hours and was charged with MIP. Went to court, got community service, paid small fine and went to Alcohol awareness classes and now it's off my record. No lawyer needed.

good luck!

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a lawyer in SM for an MIP?