Controversial Topic - Gun Laws

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008 | 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

Default Controversial Topic - Gun Laws

I normally will not engage in any topics that surround religion or politics, but is it just me or was there not much talk about gun rights during this campaign?

I am really surprised that the NRA and others have not really come forward to question what seems to be a very radical opposition to gun ownership from Obama.

I have only seen one commercial that vaguely spoke of it, and it was not mentioned during the debates...or what I saw....?
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I read this on 'votesmart.org'
(Obama)
Gun Issues
Indicate which principles you support (if any) concerning gun issues.
X a) Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
X b) Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
c) Maintain state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
d) Ease state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
e) Repeal state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens.
f) Favor allowing citizens to carry concealed firearms.
X g) Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
h) Other
---------------------

LOL, all semi-automatic weapons should be restricted? I figured he must not have known the definition or got confused or something...
Also, he is apparently against CHLs

It should be a cold day in hell when Texas bans guns

ps this may get moved to SeatStaysUp
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

also,
(from AR15.com)

2008 Democratic Platform Report (DNC 08-13-08):

We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce commonsense laws and improvements – like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system, and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Banning assault weapons will not deter criminals from commiting crimes. It will only increase the amount previously broken to obtain one.
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, when is the last time you have seen one for sale randomly? They are hard to come buy as it is. There are many dealers, but who can afford one really? Focus on other things rather than our weapons...that is all!
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:29 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

The NRA has been all over this for months. Go to the NRA-ILA site and read up. Not only is Obama anti-gun, but Biden is as bad or worse. You might want to look into a few things.

One that Obama is heavily funded by George Soros. A billionaire who fronts cash for a lot of organizations like the IANSA, ACORN, Democracy Alliance, Center for American Progress, and his own organization the Open Society Institute.

Obama's transition team is lead by John Podesta who was the person behind the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban.

Soros has bankrolled Rebecca Peters who is the person behind the weapons ban in Australia. Peters has said publically that her efforts in Australia are "very, very moderate" and mirrored her plans for her global effort.

One of the paths this has taken thus far is an effort to undermine our Country's sovereignty by agreeing to the U.N. Treaty on small arms. John Bolton and George Bush deserve a lot of credit for coming out and saying that America would never agree to a treaty that removed our soverign rights.

I fully expect that under an Obama Presidency that a new Ambassador to the U.N. would agree to that treaty under say and agreement to forgive debt, or some other allowance. Or perhaps just to agree to it. At that point our rights are gone and the constitution is meaningless.

One of the other points they have discussed is the removal of right to carry laws by use of an executive order which would trump state's rights.

Go read up on Obama, Soros, Peters, and Podesta and see what they stand for on the issues. Don't take my word for it. Make your own determination based on their past positions....

Like I said, don't take my word for it. Go read up on his positions. Look, everyone felt like they couldn't take away the firearms in Australia either. But in one quick move they took away everyone's ownership. Now, many of you are right. You could ignore a "lawful" order. And I suspect many would. The key issue is even the idea of having to do so. Or, the idea of having to live under draconian gun laws based on the wants and desires of a Hungarian Billionaire, and an Australian activist. But, often the loss of rights is not an overnight process, and it is sold by the media as "for our own collective good". So, if we remove certain weapons today, and other weapons tomorow, and some other ones the day after that, pretty soon, there are none left and we wonder where our rights went...

FACT: Barack Obama opposes four of the five Supreme Court justices who affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms. He voted against the confirmation of Alito and Roberts and he has stated he would not have appointed Thomas or Scalia.17

FACT: Barack Obama voted for an Illinois State Senate bill to ban and confiscate “assault weapons,” but the bill was so poorly crafted, it would have also banned most semi-auto and single and double barrel shotguns commonly used by sportsmen.18

FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.1

FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.15

FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.3

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.9

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.4

FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people who use firearms in self-defense.5

FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.6

FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.

FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.7

FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”8

FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.9

FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.10

FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.11

FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.12

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.13

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.14

FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.16

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.9

1. United States Senate, S. 397, vote number 219, July 29, 2005. (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00219)

2. Independent Voters of Illinois/Independent Precinct Organization general candidate questionnaire, Sept. 9, 1996. The responses on this survey were described in “Obama had greater role on liberal survey,” Politico, March 31, 2008. (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9269.html)

3. United States Senate, S. 397, vote number 217, Kennedy amendment July 29, 2005. (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00217)

4. David Wright, Ursula Fahy and Sunlen Miller, "Obama: 'Common Sense Regulation' On Gun Owners' Rights," ABC News' "Political Radar" Blog, http://blogs.abcnews.com, 2/15/08. (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...common-se.html)

5. Illinois Senate, SB 2165, March 25, 2004, vote 20 and May 25, 2004, vote 3.

6. “Fact Check: No News In Obama's Consistent Record.” Obama ’08, December 11, 2007. (http://www.barackobama.com/factcheck...n_obamas_c.php)

7. “Candidates' gun control positions may figure in Pa. vote,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Wednesday, April 2, 2008, and "Keyes, Obama Are Far Apart On Guns," Chicago Tribune, 9/15/04. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_560181.html)

8. 1998 Joyce Foundation Annual Report, p. 7.

9. “Obama and Gun Control,” The Volokh Conspiracy, taken from the Chicago Defender, Dec. 13, 1999. (http://www.volokh.com/posts/1203389334.shtml)

10. Illinois Senate, May 5, 2002, SB 1936 Con., vote 26.

11. Illinois Senate, March 25, 2003, SB 2163, vote 18.

12. “Clinton, Edwards, Obama on gun control,” Radio Iowa, Sunday, April 22, 2007. (http://learfield.typepad.com/radioio...n_edwards.html)

13. Chicago Tribune blogs, “Barack Obama: NIU Shootings call for action,” February 15, 2008, (http://blogs.trb.com/news/politics/b..._on_shoot.html)

14. Barack Obama campaign website: “As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment . . .” (http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ur...aw-enforcement.)

15. Illinois Senate Debate #3: Barack Obama vs. Alan Keyes (http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Bara...un_Control.htm and http://www.ontheissues.org/IL_2004_Senate_3rd.htm) Oct 21, 2004.

16. Illinois Senate, May 16, 2003, HB 2579, vote 34.

17. United States Senate vote 245, September 29, 2005 and vote 2, January 31, 2006 and Saddleback Forum, August 16, 2008.

18. Illinois Senate Judiciary Committee, March 13, 2003. To see the vote tally go to: http://www.nrapvf.org/Media/pdf/sb1195_obama.pdf.
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:41 PM

The reason not much has been said about it is that not much will change, regardless of who is elected. Minor details might change but gun policy won't swing to "take away all the guns" or "get rid of CHLs" and it won't swing to "everyone can own any gun they want" or "you can carry anywhere you want"

If you are a one-issue voter in regards to guns, then it's a big deal, but for most, it's not...hence very little coverage outside of that niche.
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Gun rights go out the window if 'The Messiah' takes office. Change is coming and it's not good.
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm suprised this thread is still open.
Old 11-03-2008 | 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I'm suprised this thread is still open.
This is the Texas section!
Old 11-03-2008 | 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I know that if I were a criminal, and there was even the slightest chance that the guy I was fixin to steal from had a gun on him, I wouldn't be a criminal anymore.
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ben R
I know that if I were a criminal, and there was even the slightest chance that the guy I was fixin to steal from had a gun on him, I wouldn't be a criminal anymore.
Didn't you learn anything from Chuck Norris - Action is quicker then reaction.. If I were a criminal I would rob the people with guns hahaha

It is easy to immobilize someone at a close distance when they pull a hand gun on you. Most of the time " if " you do get hit, its not fatal...
Old 11-04-2008 | 01:46 AM
In-Zane Moderator
10 Year Member

I really hope the people in office would never let that ******* ban weapons, he has proposed a global ban on small arms.
Old 11-04-2008 | 02:45 AM
Teching In

Would it Be that bad to Ban the Cheap "throw aways" How many of you gun owners own junk vs somthing that you know is reliable and are proud to own. I know my guns are like my cars. All special. Not like the $90 Bryco throw aways easly obtained and tossed after the 7-11 job. And training on a firearm is not much different than being required to get a drivers license...Some stuff makes sense (if you've been robbed at gun point you know what I mean) And some is just to much regulation. Hopefully they Find away with out doing something stupid like the "Assault Weapon" fubar

Last edited by Gmanstan; 11-04-2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Oh I know what the NRA's stance is as I have been an active member since long before entered the military in 1988. It just was a very quiet topic along with immigration during the campaign and that seems very strange.
Old 11-04-2008 | 07:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gmanstan
Would it Be that bad to Ban the Cheap "throw aways" How many of you gun owners own junk vs somthing that you know is reliable and are proud to own. I know my guns are like my cars. All special. Not like the $90 Bryco throw aways easly obtained and tossed after the 7-11 job. And training on a firearm is not much different than being required to get a drivers license...Some stuff makes sense (if you've been robbed at gun point you know what I mean) And some is just to much regulation. Hopefully they Find away with out doing something stupid like the "Assault Weapon" fubar
I dont think quality makes any difference in the law, its just the type of firearm.
And yes I think legal gun owners would tend to have better quality guns, as they rely on them for sporting or self defense. You cant assume that all cheap guns are not used for those things though.
Old 11-04-2008 | 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Quote:
We recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ Second Amendment right to own and use firearms. We believe that the right to own firearms is subject to reasonable regulation, but we know that what works in Chicago may not work in Cheyenne. We can work together to enact and enforce commonsense laws and improvements – like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system, and reinstating the assault weapons ban, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals. Acting responsibly and with respect for differing views on this issue, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe.
Ya, because instituting an assault weapons ban is going to stop a whole lot of terrorist. Just the other day I was thinking "Gee, if only the assault weapons ban was in place, ole' Osama Bin Laden wouldn't have been able to plan those attacks or train his terrorist." Oh wait, it was in affect then. Huhm? So what happened? Bill Clinton said the AWB would stop terrorist.

Originally Posted by turbologics
It is easy to immobilize someone at a close distance when they pull a hand gun on you. Most of the time " if " you do get hit, its not fatal...
Good God I hope that was suppose to be sarcasm and that you don't truly believe that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever tried immobilizing someone who is trying to kill you? Have you ever even seen a gunshot wound? You would be amazed at what is fatal and what isn't, and even more amazed at what seemingly harmless "flesh wound" type of shots have life altering consequences.

Originally Posted by Gmanstan
So you think it's okay to ban anything that isn't up to a certain level of craftsmanship or value? And who sets that standard? I own several Keltecs that I carry daily. I paid $230 for one and something like $100 for the other. Both are perfectly reliable and made with quality. So you think my Keltec, which only cost me $10 more than a Bryco "throw away", should be banned because it doesn't meet the standard for quality and price? Do you really think any amount of standards can have any affect on the crime rate?

Gang-bangers and criminals don't purchase their firearms through dealers or even gun shows, they steal them or buy them off someone who did. So banning certain firearms because of their price, size, or "quality" isn't going to affect the crime rate any at all. The last bit of feel good legislation (assault weapons ban) had no affect on the crime rate. All it did, like all gun regulation, is make it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase the things they enjoy and make it difficult for them to keep track of all the new laws and abide by those laws.

While I believe that everyone who owns a gun has the responsibility to know how to use it and care enough to train with it, I don't think it's for the government to decide on the standard of training. If someone uses their firearm in an illegal manner, prosecute them. But don't make foolish requirements and say that anyone who doesn't take a government sponsored class and pay the government a fee can't carry a gun.

For the record I have had a gun pointed at me. And all the regulation, bans, training, and permits in the world wouldn't have stopped that or the other millions of crimes committed.

I have also owned a Bryco. And it was a nice little gun. Depending on the year of manufacture and who was running the company at the time, a Bryco or Bryco-Jennings could be a nice reliable gun
Old 11-04-2008 | 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbologics

Good God I hope that was suppose to be sarcasm and that you don't truly believe that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you ever tried immobilizing someone who is trying to kill you? Have you ever even seen a gunshot wound? You would be amazed at what is fatal and what isn't, and even more amazed at what seemingly harmless "flesh wound" type of shots have life altering consequences.

I too have had guns pointed at me in a combat situation, and have also had significant training in dealing with the situation. However, a whole new thought process/set of emotions enter the equation when a life and death situation is presented. It is difficult to properly convey emotions that are created but can tell you that it is not an easy situation, by any means.
Old 11-04-2008 | 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Ha

Originally Posted by BigSteele
also,
(from AR15.com)

Lies, only words, only words
Old 11-04-2008 | 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Here read this item

October 10, 2008
Fellow Sportsman,
Hello, my name is Rich Pearson and I have been active in the firearm rights movement for over 40 years. For
the past 15 years, I have served in the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State Rifle
Association.
I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State Senator. As a result of that experience, I
know Obama’s attitudes toward guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years in
the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for the law-abiding firearm owner than
Barack Obama.
Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his voting record in the Illinois Senate paints
a very different picture. While a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting rifle,
shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill would authorize the state police to raid homes
of gun owners and forcibly confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down law-abiding
firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite, Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also
voted for a bill that would prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month.
Without a doubt, Barack Obama has proven himself to be an enemy of the law abiding firearm owner. At the
same time, Obama has proven himself to be a friend to the hardened criminal. While a state senator, Obama
voted 4 times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in defense of home and family.
Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a “friend” of the law-abiding gun owner?
And speaking of friends, you can always tell a person by the company they keep. Obama counts among his
friends the Rev. Michael Pfleger - a renegade Chicago priest who has openly called for the murder of gun shop
owners and pro-gun legislators. Then there is his buddy Richard Daley, the mayor of Chicago who has declared
that if it were up to him, nobody would be allowed to own a gun. And let’s not forget Obama’s pal George
Soros - the guy who has pumped millions of dollars into the UN’s international effort to disarm law-abiding
citizens.
Obama has shown that he is more than willing to use other people’s money to fund his campaign to take your
guns away from you. While a board member of the leftist Joyce Foundation, Barack Obama wrote checks for
tens of millions of dollars to extremist gun control organizations such as the Illinois Council Against Handgun
Violence and the Violence Policy Center.
Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a “friend” of the law-abiding gun owner?
By now, I’m sure that many of you have received mailings from an organization called “American Hunters
and Shooters Association(AHSA)” talking about what a swell fellow Obama is and how he honors the 2nd
Amendment and how you will never have to worry about Obama coming to take your guns. Let me make it
perfectly clear - everything the AHSA says about Obama is pure hogwash. The AHSA is headed by a group
of left-wing elitists who subscribe to the British view of hunting and shooting. That is, a state of affairs where
hunting and shooting are reserved for the wealthy upper-crust who can afford guided hunts on exclusive private
reserves. The AHSA is not your friend, never will be.
In closing, I’d like to remind you that I’m a guy who has actually gone nose to nose with Obama on gun rights
issues. The Obama I know cannot even begin to identify with this nation’s outdoor traditions. The Obama I
know sees you, the law abiding gun owner, as nothing but a low-class lummox who is easily swayed by the
flash of a smile and a ration of rosy rhetoric. The Obama I know is a stony-faced liar who has honed his skill at
getting what he wants - so long as people are willing to give it to him.
That’s the Barack Obama I know.
Sincerely,
(original signed)
Richard A. Pearson
Executive Director
Illinois State Rifle Association
Open Letter to Sportsmen:10/10/08:page 2