Dallas/Fort-Worth F-Bodies... Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dallas/Fort-Worth F-Bodies... Suspension Help

Okay... I have a 2001 Camaro SS.

I installed Eibach Sport lines the first go around...And wow... what a bumpy ride and an extremely close gap from the tire to the fender well... (sp?)

I installed Eibach Pro Kit the SECOND go around... And now.... It sits the exact same way....

Does this mean I need some new Struts & Shocks? Or Adjustable Panhard-bar....

Someone told me it was the panhard-bar and that my rear end was puttin a lot of pressure on the pinion???

Suspension is not my specialty... Any help would be awesome

Any place you think I should get this done? I aint messin with the suspension unless I got some help...
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

Bumpstops hitting? They may need a little trimming.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still running the stock shocks? That could be a big factor?

A couple of years ago I wanted to do the whole, "drop an inch off the ride" myself, and I did a little research and found out that just throwing springs on is the last thing you want to do. A lot of times the stock shocks are already soft/blown and usually you have hell when you just slap lowering springs on.

I eventually went with Koni S/A's all the way around and I haven't looked back since. I would say in your position, just pony up the 500 and get the Bilstein/Spring combo. Yes, it's expensive, but it's better then just rolling around on super aggressive springs that are matched with a set of soft at best if not blown shocks.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duanejunior
Okay... I have a 2001 Camaro SS.

I installed Eibach Sport lines the first go around...And wow... what a bumpy ride and an extremely close gap from the tire to the fender well... (sp?)

I installed Eibach Pro Kit the SECOND go around... And now.... It sits the exact same way....

Does this mean I need some new Struts & Shocks? Or Adjustable Panhard-bar....

Someone told me it was the panhard-bar and that my rear end was puttin a lot of pressure on the pinion???

Suspension is not my specialty... Any help would be awesome

Any place you think I should get this done? I aint messin with the suspension unless I got some help...

Eibach's are junk. period.

Their rate is WAy too soft, especially in the rear. Over time, the rear will begin to droop and sag even lower.

PHB is a locater, not a load bearing member. It has no effect on ride height, unless it's bent and bound up in the mounts.

2 spring choices for a slightly lower look and a decent spring rate to keep the suspension from bottoming out ar LG Motorsports super springs or Sam Strano's competition springs.

For either spring, though, the stock shocks just won't cut it. These cars were WAy under damped from the factory. And when you change spring rates as dramatic as you have and probably will, the car feels like it's on jello.

Bilstein HDs are a good entry level shock and far better than stock. Koni's are the next step up, but require some knowledge about how a shock works so that you can get it properly adjusted.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Eibach's are junk. period.
I disagree with you 100% Mitch, maybe they aren't good for road racing but they worked great on my street car and many others as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks elite. I agree with ya. For the money, they are some of the best springs out there.

Now as far as the phr's are concerned. A buddy of mine told me those help getting back some height... I did some research myself and learned they are intended to align your rear end after dropping it more than an inch. But I dont know what it means to align? Like does one side sag more than another??

So once and for all.... Invest in some stronger shocks... Which ones should I go with? And what about struts?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
I disagree with you 100% Mitch, maybe they aren't good for road racing but they worked great on my street car and many others as well.
I hear you ... lots of Eibach's out there. But do a search on this sight using the terms "Eibach" and "sag" and you will see hundreds of hits that basically say the same thing.

I had Eibachs on my street car for a short while. It wouldn't stay off the bump stops.

If you live on glass smooth streets, they would probably be OK, I guess.

But, like you, I can only voice my personal experience ...
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i honestly think the best spring for Fbody's is going the DMS route...but also of course you cannot keep stock shocks using these either...my LE has the Bilstein option and they are holding up fine for now with the DMS but i can already tell they are getting weaker plus they are leaking(only after lowering it also they never leaked before) and my car only has 19k miles! so im replacing them with some Koni AGX's in the next few weeks