OU over OSU in Stillwater (i.e. BCS mess continues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
lol you still know nothing about college football and the sport in general. You based all of your comments off of the past and terrible stats that were meaningless. Congrats on getting lucky.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 7420NW7TH
No, his performance this season will earn him the heisman He is already in the lead according to espn experts. And the espn experts have been dead-on with their predictions at least the last few years. It will come down to between Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford. I say Bradford wins. Anyone want to bet avatars?

I wasn't meaning that 'one play' was going to win the heisman.
Oh really?

I believe Sam Bradford just wrapped up the Heisman with this play:

It sounded like you were saying that he "wrapped up the heisman with that play", correct?
I can guarantee, that play has absolutely nothing to do with him winning/not winning the heisman
Old 11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

The reason he fumbled that snap is he was playing with torn ligaments in his left hand:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3735655
i know his hand was hurt.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

'Dude'- I am not a nut hugger I am an OU graduate (a Sooner for life whether I like it or not) and have the engineering degree on my wall to prove it. Want me to post it up?

so far, there have been no name calling in any of my posts. And you are calling ME immature?? If you have a problem with me send me a pm and we can take it from there, thanks

Then act like a 40 yr old Graduate of OU and not like a kid.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

The reason he fumbled that snap is he was playing with torn ligaments in his left hand:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3735655
Look, even though OU won the game, he is still making excuses for them. Like I said before, nutt hugger
Old 12-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
Look, even though OU won the game, he is still making excuses for them. Like I said before, nutt hugger
I told you once before, I am an OU graduate, here is my degree:

http://i36.tinypic.com/xo1d83.jpg

Sounds like YOU are the nut hugger.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
Then act like a 40 yr old Graduate of OU and not like a kid.
You could benefit from your own advice, hypocrite.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Oh really?

It sounded like you were saying that he "wrapped up the heisman with that play", correct?
I can guarantee, that play has absolutely nothing to do with him winning/not winning the heisman
Well, apparently espn agrees:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-4...ng-effort.html

Damn, I am on a roll...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

that is only a blogger... but we'll see what happens
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

he looked like Sage Rosenfels vs Indy, only the ball luckily flew out of bounds

edit-

Rosenfels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_hi7gOjE0
Bradford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01VR6m5o08
Old 12-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Texas Director

If "Big Game Bob" can't beat Texas this year and has lost two recent BCS bowl games to both West Virginia and Boise State, what makes anyone think they'll be able to beat Florida? OU just got their wish and I think they've bitten off more than they can chew, lol. This is going to be good!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM

1. I gotta say that this is really unfair...

I mean, UT gets to go to a BCS game and TTU doesn't? TTU beat UT ON THE FIELD...it's just grossly unfair for UT to be in a superior position than them when it come to bowl games.

^^^ That is my reply to any myopic horns fans who think that a three-way tie can somehow be settled merely on the basis of head to head matchups. It CAN'T.

UT beat OU beat TTU beat UT beat OU beat TTU beat UT beat OU beat TTU beat UT beat OU beat TTU beat UT beat OU beat TTU beat UT beat OU beat TTU beat etc etc etc etc etc

How are horns fans so blithely able to toss TTU aside like they are doing? If the crux of their argument is head to head...then surely they'd not cry if TTU went to the Big12 CG?

2. Funny how things transpired exactly like I said it would. Exactly like I said it would. You guys didn't say you thought it was unlikely. You guys didn't say you doubted it could happen. You guys said it was "impossible".
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Texas Director

Bottom line is the system is flawed and you could make a case for Texas, Tech or OU. Is OU the clear-cut, more deserving out of the three teams? Absolutely not.

I know the rules were in place beforehand, but why should be highest BCS ranking determine who plays for a conference championship? Shouldn't something from within the conference be more appropriate to determine that? I can see using the highest ranked BCS team to determine bowl slots, but not to determine who represents a conference in a championship game.

Bottom line is the BCS is not a good system for college football. A playoff is needed so any arguments could be settled on the field and not by some computer. However, as far as the on the field argument goes between Texas and OU, Texas DID settle it on the field with the Sooners and left no doubt who was the better team.

Question to you Sooner fans. If Texas had received a higher BCS ranking yesterday and was going to the Big 12 championship game over OU what would have been your thoughts? Would you say it was justified, fair and the right decision? Can you guys answer that honestly and objectively?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like how Bradfords receivers account for over 50% of his passing yards after the catch.

That alone should be reason for Colt to win, doing a lot more with a less talented team.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mmiller
Bottom line is the system is flawed and you could make a case for Texas, Tech or OU. Is OU the clear-cut, more deserving out of the three teams? Absolutely not.

I know the rules were in place beforehand, but why should be highest BCS ranking determine who plays for a conference championship? Shouldn't something from within the conference be more appropriate to determine that? I can see using the highest ranked BCS team to determine bowl slots, but not to determine who represents a conference in a championship game.

Bottom line is the BCS is not a good system for college football. A playoff is needed so any arguments could be settled on the field and not by some computer. However, as far as the on the field argument goes between Texas and OU, Texas DID settle it on the field with the Sooners and left no doubt who was the better team.

Question to you Sooner fans. If Texas had received a higher BCS ranking yesterday and was going to the Big 12 championship game over OU what would have been your thoughts? Would you say it was justified, fair and the right decision? Can you guys answer that honestly and objectively?
If UT had received a higher BCS ranking yesterday I would have been pretty upset since with the SOS disparity of the last week being factored in, it was inevitable that OU would jump UT unless a large number of voters moved UT up and OU down. With another win over a top 12 team and UT beating a hapless aTm squad, I wouldn't have seen a justification for changing votes other than in an attempt to usurp the mathematical ranking system's share of the BCS ranking.

Now that is an answer specific to this past weekend, but in general, I'd have to say that I wouldn't think it was all that unfair if UT was ahead of OU. UT beat OU. By definition, in this type of scenario one team will be happy, one team will feel totally cheated and one team will be disappointed but not too upset about it. If the team you beat wins it, you feel cheated, if the team who beat you wins it, you don't.

If OU takes the south:

OU - happy
UT - feels cheated
TTU - disappointed

If UT takes the south:

UT - happy
TTU - feels cheated
OU - disappointed

If TTU takes the south:

TTU - happy
OU - feels cheated
UT - disappointed

Now as far as the BCS being bad for college football, I disagree with that wholeheartedly for the following reasons:

1. CFB is more popular than ever in the last 10 years of the BCS. If the BCS has been "bad" for CFB, then the gate and TV audiences don't reflect it.

2. A playoff system has the same problems as the BCS. In the BCS, the 3rd team feels screwed, in a playoff, the 5th or 9th team feels screwed. There simply isn't a way to determine an unquestioned national champion among 120 teams in a 12-13 week season. It's not possible. The NFL does it, but they have only 32 teams and a 20 week season to sort it out.

3. A playoff system gives you 3 or 7 meaningful playoff games, but it also diminishes the regular season. All of the games between the south powers were huge, if the stakes aren't so incredibly high, then the games are less meaningful.

4. There's something to be said for uniqueness. An argument is often made that since every other sport has a playoff, then CFB should too. Why? The NBA has playoffs and since it's such a protracted and arduous process, barely anyone watches. Heck, even the NFL which is the king of US sports doesn't have that great of a playoff system. NFL fans want to things, to watch their team and to watch the Super Bowl. Steve the Chiefs fan really won't give a **** about Bucs/Giants in January unless he has a benjamin on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not a big college football follower, but let me get this straight. UT drops below OU (who they beat by 10 points) because of a mental mistake made by a UT defensive back with 1 second left on the clock against TTU?
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
If UT had received a higher BCS ranking yesterday I would have been pretty upset since with the SOS disparity of the last week being factored in, it was inevitable that OU would jump UT unless a large number of voters moved UT up and OU down. With another win over a top 12 team and UT beating a hapless aTm squad, I wouldn't have seen a justification for changing votes other than in an attempt to usurp the mathematical ranking system's share of the BCS ranking.

Now that is an answer specific to this past weekend, but in general, I'd have to say that I wouldn't think it was all that unfair if UT was ahead of OU. UT beat OU. By definition, in this type of scenario one team will be happy, one team will feel totally cheated and one team will be disappointed but not too upset about it. If the team you beat wins it, you feel cheated, if the team who beat you wins it, you don't.

If OU takes the south:

OU - happy
UT - feels cheated
TTU - disappointed

If UT takes the south:

UT - happy
TTU - feels cheated
OU - disappointed

If TTU takes the south:

TTU - happy
OU - feels cheated
UT - disappointed

Now as far as the BCS being bad for college football, I disagree with that wholeheartedly for the following reasons:

1. CFB is more popular than ever in the last 10 years of the BCS. If the BCS has been "bad" for CFB, then the gate and TV audiences don't reflect it.

2. A playoff system has the same problems as the BCS. In the BCS, the 3rd team feels screwed, in a playoff, the 5th or 9th team feels screwed. There simply isn't a way to determine an unquestioned national champion among 120 teams in a 12-13 week season. It's not possible. The NFL does it, but they have only 32 teams and a 20 week season to sort it out.

3. A playoff system gives you 3 or 7 meaningful playoff games, but it also diminishes the regular season. All of the games between the south powers were huge, if the stakes aren't so incredibly high, then the games are less meaningful.

4. There's something to be said for uniqueness. An argument is often made that since every other sport has a playoff, then CFB should too. Why? The NBA has playoffs and since it's such a protracted and arduous process, barely anyone watches. Heck, even the NFL which is the king of US sports doesn't have that great of a playoff system. NFL fans want to things, to watch their team and to watch the Super Bowl. Steve the Chiefs fan really won't give a **** about Bucs/Giants in January unless he has a benjamin on it.

Big 12 is he only conference where OU would of won the tie breaker.

Kinda bullshit.
Banned

Originally Posted by mmiller
I would have been disappointed, but I would have accepted it, knowing that everyone agreed to the rules of the big 12 and the BCS before the games were played. This is not the first time someone has been left out due to the BCS system, obviously. No matter what system they come up with, including playoffs, someone is ALWAYS going to get left out.

But I know one thing, I sure as hell would not have flown a banner over a rivals game that had nothing to do with my team. I am really embarrassed for UT fans. That was unbelievable.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

But I know one thing, I sure as hell would not have flown a banner over a rivals game that had nothing to do with my team. I am really embarrassed for UT fans. That was unbelievable.

Almost as embarrassing as OU fans doing horns down at every game.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
I like how Bradfords receivers account for over 50% of his passing yards after the catch.

That alone should be reason for Colt to win, doing a lot more with a less talented team.
Is it a bad thing to hit receivers in stride to where they can run after the catch?

Besides, does anyone outside of Harrell dink and dunk more than Cart McCoy?

How much does McCoy get on YAC? I'd be astonished if it was meaningfully lower than Bradford's percentage.

And Texas is less talented? What happened to all the top 5 recruiting classes that Mack brought in? I do think OU is the better team and has slightly more talent, but it's kind of laughable to think McCoy is out there playing with a bunch of scrubs or something.