OU over OSU in Stillwater (i.e. BCS mess continues)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
Proponents of a playoff say things like "it will generate more interest and excitement" as if it's some absolute point of fact. CFB as it stands right now is pretty exciting week in and week out and there is no lack of interest both among fans and among media.
I think its a good point. The creators of the BCS are getting exactly what they want: controversy. And this translates into more people tuning into more games, and therefore generating more money. Its all about the money.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Texas Director

The reason why I am a proponent of a playoff system has absolutely nothing to do has with Texas being left out. Would it have helped Texas this year? Yes, but it could also potentially benefit OU or any other team at some point in the future as well. I've been a proponent of a playoff system for years. Every level of collegiate sports has a playoff except D-1 football and it's ridiculous that there isn't a playoff in place. The BCS is once again exposed as inadequate. A playoff would generate millions and millions more that what is currently in place. We need a playoff, and one of these years there will be one in place. Unfortunately it won't happen until 2015 at the earliest since the BCS has a contract that runs through 2014.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

I agree, playoff is the most logical solution.

Although I ain't gonna hold my breath...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mmiller
A playoff would generate millions and millions more that what is currently in place.
If that were true, it would have already happened.

The playoffs might make more than the current BCS games, but you have to account for the rest of the season, too. Is ABC going to pay as much to broadcast OU/TTU when it's not a de facto playoff game? Is the 06 OSU/Mich game hyped as much when both teams make the playoffs anyway?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Sooner Todd;10579264]You want a national title game berth? It's simple...play a real schedule and go 12-0...then you are in. UT fans want a title shot...tough ****, you lost. USC fans...tough ****, you lost. Win your games.QUOTE]

As far as the Team heading to the CCG we did win and have the same record so whats your point? OUs Schedule is not much different than UTs OU has 2 teams with 0 wins in there NC SCH. OU might have a slight Nod for SOS.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not really sure this OU/UT talk even matters. Florida is gonna bring that crystal football back to Gainesville.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Texas Director

Originally Posted by Ben R
I'm not really sure this OU/UT talk even matters. Florida is gonna bring that crystal football back to Gainesville.
You speak the truth Ben. No one can hang with Florida and they will win the NC easily. I might have to put a little coin on Florida these next two games.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by badride42
As far as the Team heading to the CCG we did win and have the same record so whats your point? OUs Schedule is not much different than UTs OU has 2 teams with 0 wins in there NC SCH. OU might have a slight Nod for SOS.
My point is UT lost....if they had taken care of business, they wouldn't need to win a tiebreaker.

And yes, Washington is bad, but TCU and Cincy in the NC make it pretty good overall.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
My point is UT lost....if they had taken care of business, they wouldn't need to win a tiebreaker.

And yes, Washington is bad, but TCU and Cincy in the NC make it pretty good overall.
Thats why I gave them a NOD in SOS, my point is both are top programs OU could be setting where we are next year. We have lost the CC more than once to teams we have beat and have the same overall record. Goodluck to OU in both games.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by badride42
. We have lost the CC more than once to teams we have beat and have the same overall record.
When did this happen?

All I can think of is like 1994 when TAMU was 6-0-1 and on probation, SMU and UH were winless and everyone else was 4-3.

Unless you mean like two years ago when UT choked away the south against Planet Mangino...but OU still had a better conference record.