favorite shooting range in NW houston?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default favorite shooting range in NW houston?

where do you guys shoot?

looking for a place with fewer rules than hotwells.....

i want rapid fire!
Old 12-12-2008 | 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

To my knowledge no range will let you do that. Insurance reasons. Carters makes you delay 1 second between shots. I have never been to American Shooting centers, but I bet they are the same.
Old 12-12-2008 | 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ceissus
where do you guys shoot?

looking for a place with fewer rules than hotwells.....

i want rapid fire!
Check out the Impact Zone.

http://theimpactzone.us/index.php?js=1

Full auto is extremely common there, so rapid semiautomatic fire is nothing. Its a private range though so you have to join or go as a guest of a member. As a member you can shoot whenever you want though. Day, night, etc. Its the ONLY place to zero in an IR laser with some NVGs, unless you own a lot of property.

Last edited by 91Z28; 12-12-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2008 | 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 91Z28
Check out the Impact Zone.

http://theimpactzone.us/index.php?js=1

Full auto is extremely common there, so rapid semiautomatic fire is nothing. Its a private range though so you have to join or go as a guest of a member. As a member you can shoot whenever you want though. Day, night, etc. Its the ONLY place to zero in an IR laser with some NVGs, unless you own a lot of property.
sending PM~
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

The Shooting Gallery at 820/Lancaster on the east side of Fort Worth allows rapid fire as long as you are being safe. I am a member there.

Alpine in Mansfield does not allow rapid fire or FMJ rifle ammo.
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98_1LE
The Shooting Gallery at 820/Lancaster on the east side of Fort Worth allows rapid fire as long as you are being safe. I am a member there.

Alpine in Mansfield does not allow rapid fire or FMJ rifle ammo.
That would be quite a trip from NW Houston.
Old 12-12-2008 | 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Somehow I missed that lol. Sorry
Old 12-13-2008 | 01:58 AM
Teching In

I go to the one in the barker resivore south of I-10 on westhimer parkway (west houston shooting center?) but like said above, only private places will allow rapid fire. Find a friend with some land and have at it.
Old 12-13-2008 | 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you against indoor ranges? Shiloh Shooting off 1960/Cutten area. Costs a little more, but rapid fire all you want, plus re-target at your own pace.
Old 12-13-2008 | 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by txhorns281
Are you against indoor ranges? Shiloh Shooting off 1960/Cutten area. Costs a little more, but rapid fire all you want, plus re-target at your own pace.
In my experience Shiloh does not allow rapid fire. There is a severe lack of quality indoor ranges in the Houston area.
Old 12-13-2008 | 12:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91Z28
In my experience Shiloh does not allow rapid fire. There is a severe lack of quality indoor ranges in the Houston area.
I go to Shiloh Shooting about once a week. They have no problem whatsoever with rapid fire! (I've been there when people brought in their Uzi's, and MP-5s). They also do tactical instruction on wednesdays and thursdays (which is why I go every wednesday). They guys there (Greg and his father) are great and the range is very well set up.

They only problem is they don't really allow rifles since due to the noise, but I bought a .22LR conversion bolt for my AR15 and rapid fire it there without any issue. (Also allows me to practice tactically with my AR - like room clearing and movement).

If I need to sight my rifle in I go to Hotwells, but that's because there aren't any other rifle ranges in the area. The Hotwells range sucks: you have to allow 3secs between each shot, you can't fire your rifle in the pistol range, you can only change your targets once every 30mins or so, and the customer service is shitty at best. I load a lot of 223Rem rounds with custom bullets, so when I aks them to bring back a target I shot at to record the accuracy of the load I was shooting I'd be lucky if I actually DID get it back. The kids working there as range officers tend to forget.
Old 12-13-2008 | 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a bunch Pyro, very helpful. I will check out shiloh!
Old 12-13-2008 | 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pyroguy
I go to Shiloh Shooting about once a week. They have no problem whatsoever with rapid fire! (I've been there when people brought in their Uzi's, and MP-5s). They also do tactical instruction on wednesdays and thursdays (which is why I go every wednesday). They guys there (Greg and his father) are great and the range is very well set up.

They only problem is they don't really allow rifles since due to the noise, but I bought a .22LR conversion bolt for my AR15 and rapid fire it there without any issue. (Also allows me to practice tactically with my AR - like room clearing and movement).

If I need to sight my rifle in I go to Hotwells, but that's because there aren't any other rifle ranges in the area. The Hotwells range sucks: you have to allow 3secs between each shot, you can't fire your rifle in the pistol range, you can only change your targets once every 30mins or so, and the customer service is shitty at best. I load a lot of 223Rem rounds with custom bullets, so when I aks them to bring back a target I shot at to record the accuracy of the load I was shooting I'd be lucky if I actually DID get it back. The kids working there as range officers tend to forget.
Well, both times I went to Shiloh the fat asian kid at the counter told me no rapid fire. They also don't allow magnum hand guns or rifles and when I asked if it was a limitation of their backstop they said no, that it is a noise issue. But when I asked if I could use 5.56 with a sound suppressor I was told no. I didn't know they had "tactical instruction" nights, what do they consist of? I'll go back again soon and see if maybe the rules have changed if you've been there recently and they allowed rapid fire during "regular" range hours, not just during courses.

Do you have a Trans Am by the way? I've seen a few LS1 Trans Ams in their parking lot.

Last edited by 91Z28; 12-13-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2008 | 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pyroguy
Can you really complain about Hot Wells for the price?
Old 12-14-2008 | 05:52 PM
Launching!

i like carters country
Old 12-14-2008 | 06:28 PM
Launching!

op i dont know when youre looking to go but me and a group of people are going to Pearland Shooting Club (PSC) Wednesday morning. usually the mornings there allow for more "active" shooting. you are more than welcome to tag along.
Old 12-14-2008 | 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lets_fly
i like carters country
No rapid fire there either. They are about the same as Hot Wells.

Quick Reply: favorite shooting range in NW houston?