Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default save pontiac petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/save-pontiac
Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol no.
GM has dug this hole, let them fall into it.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

It is their fault for paying unskilled union laborers 80 dollars an hour to screw lugnuts all day and expect the consumer to pick up the tab year after year.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -ZW-
It is their fault for paying unskilled union laborers 80 dollars an hour to screw lugnuts all day and expect the consumer to pick up the tab year after year.
and thats whats wrong with the world we really dont make 80 bucks and hour we make a max of 30 bucks and some change and hour and i only make 14.12 an hour.

I've been working for GM for 7 months now and we all have gotten shafted with our health care being cut to us having to pay 50% of the tab and can only visit the doctors 5 times a year after that is 100% us...

Along with us giving up our raises we opted for a once a year raise and we only get 1.5-2k max after taxes if were lucky for a years worth of work as our raise instead of us going up on the pay scale.

We work harder then any person in an office that makes what we make, i GUARANTEE if you spend 1 day on the line with us you would think twice about saying were lazy and have simple jobs that monkeys can do

edit* also you guys think we make to much but Toyota STARTS out at 20+ an hour i start out at 14.12 and wont go any higher then 15.60 an hour
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Not all of them are useless easy jobs. The point is that the UAW has put the US auto industry in the dump. If it wasn't for the UAW a lot more of the simple repetitive line jobs would be done by robotics (not monkeys).
Personally I think we've all payed for enough corporate bail outs.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior
and thats whats wrong with the world we really dont make 80 bucks and hour we make a max of 30 bucks and some change and hour and i only make 14.12 an hour.
$30/hour = $62,400 year without overtime. That is far more than the majority of the country earns without a college degree or some sort of skilled training. Yes, it is good to know that people without technical training or a college degree can make that kind of income, but the reality is that it is one reason the automakers are in a bind now. Unskilled labor should get unskilled pay. Your $15-20/hour would be about perfect as the max.

We work harder then any person in an office that makes what we make, i GUARANTEE if you spend 1 day on the line with us you would think twice about saying were lazy and have simple jobs that monkeys can do
Is your plant air conditioned? Do you have to wear a hardhat, steel toes, and safety glasses all day? If you think that job is considered working hard, I'd invite you to find an outdoors job here in Texas, working in a chemical plant or in construction, or just about anywhere else that busts *** in the hot Texas sun....and earns LESS than the rates you stated. I put myself through college as a pipefitter helper, then a welder, then a pipefitter. For $10-25/hour. Not $30 sitting in A/C and not having to lift anything or get covered in dirt and rain.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't blame GM, per se. I blame the CEOs and the UAW.

GM needs to take a closer look @ the market and at some of their previous failures, some in very recent years.

The HHR?
The SSR?

And I completely disagree with people that say American made stuff doesn't last as long as foreign made. If you take care of an automobile it will last. I had a 2-door Tahoe that had 150K+ miles on it and it was still going strong.

Also, Honda and Toyota both have plants in America. Honda - Indiana and Alabama; Toyota - S.A. and soon to be here in Temple.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I already signed the petition on another site. Also all you working at gm need to get over yourselves. get a damn education and find a good career. your just bitching because that is the only good job in michigan and you dont want anything else.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Go to Walmart when the Auto industry falls
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
$30/hour = $62,400 year without overtime. That is far more than the majority of the country earns without a college degree or some sort of skilled training. Yes, it is good to know that people without technical training or a college degree can make that kind of income, but the reality is that it is one reason the automakers are in a bind now. Unskilled labor should get unskilled pay. Your $15-20/hour would be about perfect as the max.

Is your plant air conditioned? Do you have to wear a hardhat, steel toes, and safety glasses all day? If you think that job is considered working hard, I'd invite you to find an outdoors job here in Texas, working in a chemical plant or in construction, or just about anywhere else that busts *** in the hot Texas sun....and earns LESS than the rates you stated. I put myself through college as a pipefitter helper, then a welder, then a pipefitter. For $10-25/hour. Not $30 sitting in A/C and not having to lift anything or get covered in dirt and rain.

BURN!!!!!!!! LOL he does have a point and I agree with NINEBALL
Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct, waterwell driller here. Dont make much, work outside all day every day. I have seen days that go to 110 easy, and thats all day from the soonest of 9 to 10 and getting cooler around 3:30 - 4:30. I have also had plenty of days with nonstop rain hardcore all day.

I for one know how this goes.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks! You are correct. There are alot of people who came out to west texas to work in the oilfield starting at 12.00 an hr. We dont shut down for weather, holidays etc. I work an average 80hrs a week. I am very skilled in aircraft, diesel and automotive tech , Hydraulics, down hole tools, Well intervention, And have the paperwork to prove it. Im not mad at those who got these jobs, except why bitch at the company when its the union who isnt getting your health benifits. And an assembly line isnt skilled labor!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm tired of hearing that these workers are overpaid from people who have no idea of what they actually make, what they do, or what their education is.

Everyone has their opinion on how much they should make for some reason, usually its from people who have some worthless college degree and are upset that an "unskilled laborer" makes more $ than them.

Like it was stated above, they make $15/hr. now. Thats it. A 50% pay cut. Could you support a family on $15/hr.? Could you do it while having crappy health insurance too?

I have yet to read about the CEOs taking a permanent 50% pay cut....

Give these guys a break, they've made their concessions to GM. You don't know them, you can't say they're lazy.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
I'm tired of hearing that these workers are overpaid from people who have no idea of what they actually make, what they do, or what their education is.

Everyone has their opinion on how much they should make for some reason, usually its from people who have some worthless college degree and are upset that an "unskilled laborer" makes more $ than them.

Like it was stated above, they make $15/hr. now. Thats it. A 50% pay cut. Could you support a family on $15/hr.? Could you do it while having crappy health insurance too?

Give these guys a break, they've made their concessions to GM. You don't know them, you can't say they're lazy.
hey c5coupe is right we dont know them and what they make.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE

also haven't seen them say anything about nixing their multi-million dollar "retreat" and/or golf course...or giving up their private jets.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

I think much of the pain we feel (across the board) is due to the fact our strong belief in FREE ENTERPRISE.

Make a buck where you can, at whatever cost. So a Salesman job is to sell. If one salesman were offered to sell this country he would.

A Business man's a job is to make money even if it means sending jobs to other countries.

- Our economies situation was brought on ourselves, based on how we do business everyday, it's our greedy system to make a buck, it's the salesman/individual with no regard to the impact of making the Good ol' dollar.

my 2 cents.

You want the economy to get better?, pay off your Debt! and quit buying **** on credit.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Ok to get this thread back on track. I think pontiac should stay and chevy should die (excluding trucks and corvette of course). They have been the most successful lately in creating a pretty cool line of cars G6, G8, Solstice. I have driven both G6 and G8 as rentals and they are pretty good compared to Chevy (impala, malibu, cobalt). BORING.

Anyway so GM, Pontiac, and maybe Saturn and thats it. OH and stop making a new failure of a car like the HHR every year! And Dodge needs to bring back the Nitro!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Your right about the CEOs salary. And that they shifted the attention to the workers and Unions. But for the workers take the opportunity and get an education and move up and out of the trenches. And yes I support a family on 14.00 an hr and a very bad racing habit. But we can also point fingers at the oil companies. On a "oh shy" unit of ours makes roughly $30,000 a day for a 6hr job. A pulling unit cost about 350.00-400.00 an hr. To run a Tool from baker- like a motor/mill is about 8,000 a day with a discount, not including salary for the tool man. But we dont get saved from the Government. We just go under. I hope you guys in the auto industry keep your jobs. I want to see the new Camaro.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Racemadnss

Anyway so GM, Pontiac, and maybe Saturn and thats it. OH and stop making a new failure of a car like the HHR every year! And Dodge needs to bring back the Nitro!
Pontiac and Saturn are part of GM. So, please clarify what you're trying to say...
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by obseSSed
Pontiac and Saturn are part of GM. So, please clarify what you're trying to say...
Haha my bad..meant to say Cadillac. Thinking one thing and wrote another. Too much lately