My Review: C5 Corvette vs LS1 F-body

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My Review: C5 Corvette vs LS1 F-body

Well, I spent last week driving the vette around to work as well as on a couple of appts. I figured some of my fellow F-body folk who have not driven a vette would like to know the difference between the two LS1 brethren.

Picture taken with LG Voyager cellphone:

The WS6 has excellent suspension and handling from the factory. it handles great in corners and as long as the suspension does not receive serious drag racing modifications it is a fun car to drive on loop arounds and 70mph on 45mph corners. The corvette on the other hand feels like it is glued to the road and wants to go 90mph on 45mph corners. It handles like a totally different animal. The IRS is very different from a solid axle suspended car. The Vette also feels much more stable at speeds up to 120mph. I have not gone faster but have been told that it is very stable and solid at 170mph by someone else who has driven this car. I can say that 120 feels like 80 in a Vette and after driving it 90mph everywhere that it is nothing like a WS6 Trans-Am.

My WS6 has always made more horsepower than the vette since my first cam only setup. Yet due to the weight and aerodynamic characteristics of the vette it feels like a faster car. Atleast it is much more enjoyable. It feels what I would imagine like an F-1 racecar, where the WS6 seems to be more of a "old school muscle" feel to it.

The interior of the vette with HUD, telescoptic wheel, formula racing inspired seats, memory controlled seating, and small quarters definately give you more of a "racing style" feel vs an F-body.

As far as enjoyment, if I had to go back and do things all over again I would say that the vette is much more enjoyable to drive than a WS6, unless you have 600-800rwhp on the WS6 and the other option is a stock vette. I can only imagine what a 550rwhp NA corvette would feel like. I would imagine that it would compare to a 620hp F-body and still be much more fun/comfortable to drive.

I am sure this is common sense, but if you haven't driven a corvette before and are considering buying one.... Let me know!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WizeAss
I am sure this is common sense, but if you haven't driven a corvette before and are considering buying one.... Let me know!
Yep you got that one right But there's a reason why vettes cost more than f-bodys.... You can't really compare them because they are on two different levels.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want a vette, but i cant justify trading a car that is paid off for one that is not while i am in college
Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

definately right on those points. drove a good freinds z06 with the same mods as my car has. and it felt much nastier! however a way more enjoyable car to drive. got back in my car and it felt like a cadillac.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 PM
01z
TECH Regular

my dad has a 99 vette while i had my 4th gens, i got plenty of time and a few track passes in the vette i must say it is a very nice car but i love the 4th gen as well. i think it really depends on your budget. and if your budget allows for a vette GO FOR IT!! lol
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed 100% on the review. Stock vs stock, and modded vs modded, the Corvette is just a better car than an f-body. The only thing the f-body does better is "bang-for-the-buck". But, now with C5s getting super cheap on the used market, even that is in question.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I own both and pretty much agree with everything you said.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Curveball TECH

But what about back seats!! Even if they are made for hobbits, we got 'em.

As stated above, they are on different levels so I hope it would outperform. Tony, you will have to do a write up comparing the new camaro v. c6 and let us know. That should be interesting.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Teching In

I love my vette, the way it huggs the road and handles is great, and the way it feels while doing 130 is far better compared to my ws6, but like you said the Ws6 has that old school muscle feel to it and that's what I love about it, it might be psychological but that's what makes it a little more special too me, plus I see more red vettes than red Ws6's in Houston.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I sold my z06 for the Trans Am that I have now.
I don't think I would go back though.
Only thing that makes me consider it, is the price drop of the c5's.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Banned Pedophile

Yeah, C5's are really cheap now. . . .
Old 01-12-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the rough edges, adds more character. 'Vettes are definitely cool but there's something about an F-body that I just love...I guess that's why I've been driving them for the last 25 years.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
I agree about the rough edges, adds more character. 'Vettes are definitely cool but there's something about an F-body that I just love...I guess that's why I've been driving them for the last 25 years.
The only thing great about an F-body compared to a Vette is the back seat, the T-tops, and the hood of a WS6! Along with the solid axle... that is about it!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
But, now with C5s getting super cheap on the used market, even that is in question.
Agreed, C5 Zs are incredible values for all the car is capable of.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WizeAss
The only thing great about an F-body compared to a Vette is the back seat, the T-tops, and the hood of a WS6! Along with the solid axle... that is about it!
Well, I'll just agree to disagree, I think it's apples to oranges there, not even close to the same kind of car. I think of the 'Vette as a pure sports car, not even intended for anything else whereas the F-body's to me were more of a passenger car with a lot of sportiness built in.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Good review. I drove and rode in my buddy's C5 Z and the handling, and smooth ride at 100+ is incomparable. I love my F-body, but I want to get a Vette within the next couple of years. People don't see a lot of clean f-bodies, unless there's a meet, and I like the attention the T/A gets me, so I'm happy with what I have.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

ive got both.....ive grown up drivin trans am's but you just cant beat the feeling of getting your first vette!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

I'm looking at "upgrading" to a C6 within the next 1-2 years. The only thing I can say about having a nice F-Body is that you don't see them all that often anymore. At least in really nice shape. I see Vettes all the time and unless it's a C6-Z06, I rarely took a second look. However, a super clean Firehawk, Camaro SS, 30th Anniversary T/A, etc. I look twice! I got a lot of looks in my current Trans Am, but I've a balck 4th-gen since 2000 and I'm itching for a C6. It's funny, my wife prefers the 2004 Z06 Lemans Edition. But, she just likes the stripes! I like the C6 styling better.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

I have driven a few friends' C5's as well as taken a couple on dealership test drives, but have not owned a Corvette since I sold my '72 in 1995.

I agree with much the OP has said. The Corvette is a real sports car while the F-body is a sporty musclecar. However, as Nineball pointed out, the F-body wins the "bang for the buck" competition hands down (especially when they were new or nearly new). That's why I have several Camaros instead of just a couple Corvettes. There is also the subject of the "Vette Tax" that we joke about. Nearly everything is or at least seems more expensive for a Y body than for an F body. I love a good handling car that is fun to put through the twisties, but drag racing is more my primary sport and the Camaro is much better suited to that.

I have never fallen in love with the C4 or C5, but I am digging on the C6 and I could see myself getting into one.