Bluray question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MHZ:

120mhz vs 60mhz

There is less blurring or artifact in motion sequences.
It brings a smoother picture and less ghosting, especially when it comes to action movies or sports. For a normal person watching the sequences, they will not notice the difference unless you specifically look for it.

CABLES:

There are two types of cables. Standard Speed cables, also called Category 1, support 720p and 1080i resolutions. Standard Speed cables are not rated for 1080p. High Speed cables, also called Category 2, are rated for all HDTV resolutions, including 1080p. A Category 1 cable has been tested for speeds up to 75 MHz, while a Category 2 cable is approved for up to 340 MHz.

Do I need to purchase expensive cables?

No, but you should purchase cables from a quality manufacturer. The price on many Monster cables exceeds $100 per cable, but good quality cables can be found for as little as $10. If you have a 720p or 1080i system with a short cable run, almost any cable should work. I’m using a Philips 6 foot High Speed HDMI Cable that I found at Wal-Mart for $35. The cable is certified for 1.3a and works great.

Whether you are using a $120 Monster cable or a $10 El-Cheapo cable, it is important to keep all audio and video cables away from power cords and cables. AC current can create problems with hum on audio cables and can distort video signals. A good rule of thumb is to always keep audio and video cables and speaker wires at least six inches away from power cords whenever possible–and never bundle cables with power cords.

What is the maximum length for an HDMI cable?

The HDMI specifications do not limit cable length, but it is intuitive that long cable runs will lose signal strength. The longer the cable length, the higher the quality requirement become in order to prevent signal degradation or loss. Devices such as HDMI repeaters are available that amplify a signal when very long cable runs are required. There are also special cables with built-in signal amplifiers called active, boosted, amplified or equalized cables that are powered by the HDMI wiring and therefore do not need an external power supply.

Although I have not tried it, from what I have read it is safe to use cables without amplification for runs of up to 10 meters (32.8 feet). It is interesting to note that an AV amplifier with HDMI connectors is considered to be a repeater. Fiber Optic cable can reach lengths of over 150 feet without a single drop. Normal HDMI cables start to drop at 50ft+.

If you are 50ft away from your blu-ray player move your blu-ray or tv closer.

Hopefully this puts an end to all the bad info.
-J
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jermstyle
I'm sure it does. I just thought I'd post a 70" TV that can clearly drive all 70" for those that say size doesn't matter.

There is a difference as with anything else.

Try this - See if you can get Ice Age, Open Season or similar movie on BluRay. If those don't look amazing then something is off with one of the components.
i watched wali and it was amazing. Best picture I have ever seen
Old 01-21-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CySevans
Oh, by all means, please do try. Because unless you specify to whom you're speaking, you just look ignorant as well.

I've been in video engineering for several years now. Would you like to take this discussion to the next level?

Most of the people here don't care.

Me, this is my dream display device:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/30...stem-unveiled/
Yeah people on here don't care that's why I don't bother. I save all the technical discussion for the blu-ray.com forum or highdefforum . Like you said, Im not gonna waste my time with people that don't care on here, most wouldn't know what we were talking about. I just hate people that give bad advice when they think they know what they are talking about.

And if you are so confident that your input in this thread is correct, then you should not be offended by my post.

FWIW, I was not referring to your posts in my first reply to the thread.....
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1

And if you are so confident that your input in this thread is correct, then you should not be offended by my post.

FWIW, I was not referring to your posts in my first reply to the thread.....
Not offended. Just making sure you weren't also in the category of thinking you knew what you were talking about, but didn't. No worries. The red flag was when you linked to a forum that didn't have the answer to the question as to the quality of Bangkok Dangerous.

I love talking and debating tech stuff, so I was hoping you'd throw something out. But, you're right, it would be a waste of time on this forum.