What gun to get...and where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
If yall are referring to the sw Sigma then yes, it is junk. Its a cheap gun.
Provide evidence with these comments. Most reviews I have read have been favorable.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_.../sigma_100507/

http://gundirectory.com/more.asp?gid=20225&gun=Pistol

http://www.policelink.com/products/p...son-sigma-40ve

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-10-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly, I have shot just about every gun referenced in this thread so far and there are MANY great suggestions here. I would shoot a few different rounds and types of side-arms before making your decision. You have to feel comfortable carrying and using what you purchase. There is definitely a choice to be made of what type of round you want to use for what situation. I personally like the .45 with Federal hydra-shok rounds for stopping power. I carry a Colt 1911. This gun may be a little more expensive than what you are looking for though. It’s also not the easiest to conceal.

I would try Springfield’s XD sub-compact .45 and .40. I have it in the .45 cal and love the way it shoots. You can pick one up for around $500 give or take. Whatever you do, shoot it before you buy it. Others you may like are the Glock 23 .40 or the S&W sw9gve here’s a link for that one

(http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...13&isFirearm=Y)

I have a few different ones if you’d like to try them out. And I know there’s many others in LSM that have a variety of firearms they might let you try. Let me know if there’s anything I can help with.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Glock 23 if you want to check it out...
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You could go with a Smith & Wesson SW40VE (.40). It's pretty cheap at Academy $339. I have heard the trigger is pretty heavy on it, but there are mods you can do to them to lighten them up. The reviews I have read about them say they don't jam. They are basically a copy of a Glock.
I've held one at Academy and they are pretty light.

SW makes good guns, they are called revolvers. Their handguns, specially the Sigma line leaves a lot to be desired.
Just being honest, I have one as my secondary weapon at home.
It has a HORRIBLE trigger pull which makes accurate shooting at even 15 yards difficult.
Will it get the job done? Yes. Is it better to spend an extra 100-150 bucks for a better gun? YES
The sigma was a cheap knock off from the glock, simple as that. And SW did not get even close.
Springfield XD40, or even a Ruger. (I really like shooting my DC95 and is my favorite gun)
Too big for CC, but for that a Glock 26 is hard to beat.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got a baby eagle .45 and love it. wouldn't use it as a carry gun due to weight, but i've never had any problems. i have heard the poly frames are not reliable as the metal ones though.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have shot one. Very inaccurate and leaves more to be desired. I have 2 friends that have them and have shot both. I was looking at buying one till I shot it. I own a Springfield Xd. Shot one and you will enjoy the difference. Glock is a good gun, but I was looking at subcompacts and the 26 wont fit my hand. Oh, and everything you read on the net is good info, lol. Dont believe anything till you find out for yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

You could go with a Smith & Wesson SW40VE (.40). It's pretty cheap at Academy $339. I have heard the trigger is pretty heavy on it, but there are mods you can do to them to lighten them up. The reviews I have read about them say they don't jam. They are basically a copy of a Glock.
I've held one at Academy and they are pretty light.
It is a fairly light pistol, especially compared to the Sig P229 I used to carry. This is what I have at home with some modifications to the trigger pull (no more 7 lb. crap). Mine is set a 3lbs. with a 13+1 magazine and a laser sight for those nights where I am too damn tired to aim and just want to put a dot on someones head and pull the trigger. Also think about getting a good grip for your pistol, I have a hogue grip on mine and believe me its worth the few bucks for comfort and feel.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Don't forget the 357sig chambering either. The shouldered case makes for reliable feeding. It helps funnel the case in the chamber. Ammo is pricier than 9mm, but i reload for plinking. I have the H&K p2000 in 357sig and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

The bersa 380's are also a good gun at a decent price.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I have shot one. Very inaccurate and leaves more to be desired. I have 2 friends that have them and have shot both. I was looking at buying one till I shot it. I own a Springfield Xd. Shot one and you will enjoy the difference. Glock is a good gun, but I was looking at subcompacts and the 26 wont fit my hand. Oh, and everything you read on the net is good info, lol. Dont believe anything till you find out for yourself.
So, you shot one once and wasn't accurate, so they are all junk? I'd chalk that up as needing practice with the gun instead of just writing it off as junk.

That's like saying golf sucks and is a game for sissy's because I sucked at it the first time I played.

Oh, and everything you read on the net is good info, lol. Dont believe anything till you find out for yourself.
I guess it's safe to say this guy can't trust a ******* thing you are saying in this thread...since it's on the "internet", right?

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts

OK, I own one of the sigs and will put this out there:
I will meet anyone who wants to try shooting it at a range in DFW.
You can shoot the Sig, my Ruger, and my Glock.
I bet you will not want to purchase a Sig.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

So, you shot one once and wasn't accurate, so they are all junk? I'd chalk that up as needing practice with the gun instead of just writing it off as junk.

That's like saying golf sucks and is a game for sissy's because I sucked at it the first time I played.

I guess it's safe to say this guy can't trust a ******* thing you are saying in this thread...since it's on the "internet", right?
Everyone has their opnion. If you want a cheap gun then buy it. I wouldnt trust my life to it. Dont get mad because you have one and I dont like them. The 2 that I shot I did not like. I am an accurate shot with practice. I shot the sw sigma enough and it was inconsistant. The trigger doesnt feel natural and I felt like the gun would jam with enough rounds through it. Here an idea buy a more expensive gun, like it, trust your life to it and dont get butthurt about me not liking your cheap gun.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Everyone has their opnion. If you want a cheap gun then buy it. I wouldnt trust my life to it. Dont get mad because you have one and I dont like them. The 2 that I shot I did not like. I am an accurate shot with practice. I shot the sw sigma enough and it was inconsistant. The trigger doesnt feel natural and I felt like the gun would jam with enough rounds through it. Here an idea buy a more expensive gun, like it, trust your life to it and dont get butthurt about me not liking your cheap gun.
I don't even own a Sigma, dumbass.
I was just throwing it out there as an alternative to a $800 Sig.

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-10-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

I don't even own a Sigma, dumbass.
I was just throwing it out there as an alternative to a $800 Sig.
troll!
Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Seeing that you have woman qualities Kelly, I suggest a street sweeper.

And where, a gun shop.

Glad I could help

Z
Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

troll!

You're cool.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AaronK
Kelly, I have shot just about every gun referenced in this thread so far and there are MANY great suggestions here. I would shoot a few different rounds and types of side-arms before making your decision. You have to feel comfortable carrying and using what you purchase. There is definitely a choice to be made of what type of round you want to use for what situation. I personally like the .45 with Federal hydra-shok rounds for stopping power. I carry a Colt 1911. This gun may be a little more expensive than what you are looking for though. It’s also not the easiest to conceal.

I would try Springfield’s XD sub-compact .45 and .40. I have it in the .45 cal and love the way it shoots. You can pick one up for around $500 give or take. Whatever you do, shoot it before you buy it. Others you may like are the Glock 23 .40 or the S&W sw9gve here’s a link for that one

(http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...13&isFirearm=Y)

I have a few different ones if you’d like to try them out. And I know there’s many others in LSM that have a variety of firearms they might let you try. Let me know if there’s anything I can help with.
I agree here wholeheartedly. My input is go join a gun club and check out what everyone is shooting. My experience is that most club members love to show off thier hardware and even let you put a few down range. Don't just hold the weapons. You need to get a feel of what the weapon will do in a need for use situation. It may feel good holding it and aiming it, but may not feel right while shooting. Or you may not be able to stress fire or group with it. Although the Springfield XD is an excellent choice (many police women go with it because it sits low in the hand, ergonomics and fire controllability), I personally stay away from subcompact models. I prefer familiarity, controlability, and shot placement over ease of carry and concealability.
From a learned CQB standpoint, go with the .40, .45, or .357 Sig. These are all PROVEN manstoppers -why are you carrying? Of course, I've seen a lot of people ex'ed out with 9mm too. But if you have the option to choose, the larger rounds have better statistical terminal ballistics. There is nothing wrong with going to a full size weapon either. I used to carry an H&K USP .40 with a Walther P99 in .40 as a backup. Then I went to an H&K Socom .45. The Socom was designed from the onset as an "offense" weapon. Though I like shooting it, it isn't the hottest ticket for a CCW. In spite of the similarities in design between it and the USP, I found it hard to clear from concealment. If I carry at all now, I carry handbuilt 1911s. Pricey? Yes. But what is your life worth? The only people who are going to see the "print" in your clothing from it are the ones who know what to look for. By that point, you're probably already engaged.
My whole point is this; You have a concealed carry license because you feel the need to carry for defense. Why would you base the choice of the weapon you choose to defend your life with on price? Or other peoples' choices?
Wow. Never thought I'd be posting that on an LS1 site.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Its like a lot of other people on here said. The best thing to do is to go to a gun shop where they can show you multiple brands and calibers. You need to make sure it fits your hand. Everybody has their perference to which is better, but everyone likes something different. I personally carry a SIG P239 .40 cal and i love it(7+1 mag). The thing with Sigs is that they are precision guns. You have to make sure you maintain it just like ur car. After i have been shooting at the range for a while, my sig likes to jam(after bout 100 rounds) If you are looking for something you dont have to worry about taking care of i would suggest a glock. I got a Glock 27 .40 cal(9+1 mag) and it is the gun i got that will shoot no matter what. The lady that owns the gun range i go to has a glock that is about 6 years old and has put about 10,000 rounds through it and hasn't cleaned it yet. It still shoots dead on. She is trying to find out how long it can go before it has to be cleaned. I prefer a .40 cal over a 9mm. I have heard of too many stories of someone surviving getting hit with a 9mm.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Glock model 30 I also have a Glock 17.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

IMO when the time comes for you to actually defend yourself you are going to be so jacked up and scared you want something that will be realiable and easy to use. With that being said a revolver is the best way to go, few moving parts, will always fire and in most cases you aren't going to be unloading 15 rounds at someone trying to kill or scare them away.

If you are dead set on a semi-auto get something that you are going to practice with A LOT so once again when the time comes it will be second nature and you won't have to worry about loading, chambering, multiple safeties, breaking your thumb on the slide, getting pinched, etc.

Caliber is up to you. You want something you can control and are used to firing so you are accurate and you don't have to spend a second or two trying to aim again if needed.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
IMO when the time comes for you to actually defend yourself you are going to be so jacked up and scared you want something that will be realiable and easy to use. With that being said a revolver is the best way to go, few moving parts, will always fire and in most cases you aren't going to be unloading 15 rounds at someone trying to kill or scare them away.

If you are dead set on a semi-auto get something that you are going to practice with A LOT so once again when the time comes it will be second nature and you won't have to worry about loading, chambering, multiple safeties, breaking your thumb on the slide, getting pinched, etc.

Caliber is up to you. You want something you can control and are used to firing so you are accurate and you don't have to spend a second or two trying to aim again if needed.
Thats like buying an automatic Corvette race car (because its easy), intending to race it, and never practicing your driving skills. That decision would be painfully stupid come race day.
If you are "jacked up and scared" and "unloading 15 rounds at someone trying to kill or scare them away" in a gun fight, you will be on the **** end of the stick. I GUARANTEE you will either get yourself killed or kill someone you didn't mean to.
If you get your CCW and choose a weapon, you DAMN WELL better practice. Or you'll be as dangerous to yourself as you would be to anyone else. Get as much range time as you can and teach other family members (especially the children to disarm thier curiousity. Children are killed in firearms accidents because they were NEVER taught to respect them). When you aren't at the range, practice Isreali Point Shooting techniques without your weapon. Just like any other martial art, with enough practice, it will become instinctive.
As an American, it is your RIGHT to own a firearm. But it is your RESPONSIBILTY to know what you are doing with it.

Quick Reply: What gun to get...and where?