Anyone carry a Shotgun for protection?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 90% of everyone in my town has a gun with them in their vehicles.... and i would guess 98% in their houses.... LMAO!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1n00b
nice!
how much and where did you pick it up?
bought that one at a gun show for $349 here in houston
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mossberg here as well. It'd be messy, but effective.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

do they carry mossberg's at academy or bass pro?

id rather not drive all the way out to a real gun shop
Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

I usually just throw the pistol in the trunk..don't need a CHL for that. If I'm feeling parinoid I just sit the AR15 on the passenger seat. Funny looks from people but WTF, it gets the job done. Also they passed a low on Sep 1 that some cops might not like (feel free to chime in) that sayd if your traveling you can keep your pistol in the cabin with the ammo if there's closes in there. This replaced the old going accross 2 county law. Because that law was not fair. Some people can drive one mile and pass through the 3 countys. While others might drive an hour and still be in the same county so they couldn't carry..depending on where you live and where your going. So I do that whenever I'm going over night somewhere. If you can't get to your hatch then you probly wouldn't have stood a chance anyways..plus there is curtain rights you loose when you get CHL and a grand jury investigation anytime you pull the trigger...I used to work at a gun range for a year and do the CHL classes and I never got mine for this very reason. No point..
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Nothing valuable in my house and I'm not gun crazy, a couple of dogs do just fine for me.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Teching In

On 2nd thought.... where do you people live that you need a shotgun for protection. I just want to know so I don't move there.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS 666
On 2nd thought.... where do you people live that you need a shotgun for protection. I just want to know so I don't move there.
if you think the local PD will be there in time to save you in mere seconds from some dumbass breaking in you are living in a dream world IMO.

Come to rural kentucky for a while and have to put up with all the "Delieverance" style people here and you will start a nice collection of firearms and ammo.

Not being mean but just telling you the facts.

Its not neccesarily that you need the weapon if because its safer to have it and not need it. Its all about being prepared.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Browning. The only thing I am worried about is that I live in an apartment is I live in an apartment complex... Kinda worried about my buck shot going through the walls and killing my neigbors.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Texas state law say's you can carry a loaded hand gun in your vehicle as long as its concealed from plain sight. You don't have to keep it in the trunk. (thats where the AR or the pump goes. The pistol in the cab is so you can shoot your way to the trunk to get it)

As long as you are lawfully allowed to own a firearm, are not commiting a felony, or under the influence of alchohol or drugs. You are also allowed to carry it concealed on your person directly to and from your vehicle. There is a link on the link below that actually has the texas state law on there with all of the legal jargon.

It works for me because if I go out in public, i'll have my weapon in my vehicle anyways and most everywhere I go u can't take it inside anyways i.e. store, mall, bar blah blah. I don't want a CCW/CHL for the time being, damn government already has too much information on me anyways. (funny i still have to fill out the same retarted forms when I do my taxes and update my passport/drivers license)

You can also keep a loaded gun in your place of business to include a bar with out CCW.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php

I believe there is also a state law stating if you are traveling and crossing county lines, you can keep a loaded shotgun in the cab of your vehicle. I don't have a link though.

God Bless Texas
Old 02-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Teching In

"The pistol in the cab is so you can shoot your way to the trunk to get it"

LMAO, excellent logic!
Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

someone gave me an 870 and I was thinking about cutting the barrel down to 12" and ditching the stock for a pistol grip. it would make a handy little weapon.

heres a pic of what it will look liek if I do it

EDIT::: I should have mentioned I dont plan to use it as a carry weapon.

Last edited by aggiez28; 02-11-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Nothing valuable in my house and I'm not gun crazy, a couple of dogs do just fine for me.
You already live there. It's called the planet Earth. Even worse, you live in or near Dallas, so you're about as close to the area you don't want to be in as possible. If you think a dog(or even a dozen dogs) will stop someone set on burglarizing your home or killing you, or if you think that living in a "nice area" makes you immune to crime, then you really have your head in the sand. You might want to take a look around sometime and see what the world is really like. Do you really think that not owning anything "valuable" makes you less likely to be victimized? Heck you're a perfect target. Someone with the "it won't happen to me" mentality. But I guess the world needs victims too.

Me personally, I take responsibility for my own safety and realize that "gun free zones" equal "target rich environments".

Good luck to you getting through this life alive.

Originally Posted by aggiez28
someone gave me an 870 and I was thinking about cutting the barrel down to 12" and ditching the stock for a pistol grip. it would make a handy little weapon.

heres a pic of what it will look liek if I do it
That would make it a short-barreled firearm and require a Class 3 stamp prior to the modification or else it's illegal. I highly recommend you consult the state and federal law regarding the modification you are considering, to avoid jail and a lengthy prison sentence. Even if it never leaves your house, if you ever had to use it, legally or otherwise, you would have no defense to prosecution federally.

Just posting that picture, whether it is real or a photoshop, can draw the attention of people you don't want looking your way.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Teching In

minimum legal length is 18" so most people saw it off to 18"1/4 for good measure. Get caught with something shorter and its fed time son.

Plus, a 12" barrell would mean you could only hold about 4 shells in the magazine without it sticking out farther then the barrell.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

The entire state of texas, in general.

As a matter of fact, me and my family moved out to katy in a nice area, in less than a year there was a break in my dads truck in our driveway in the middle of the night ( our dog was not at the house) and a little while ago some bitches followed my kid sister to our house in the middle of the night and keyed up her car and ****.

I was almost a victim of a car jacker 7 years ago, i was shot at close range because i refused to give up my keys. I didnt have the keys on me at that time, and they ran away after firing 3 shots at 10 yards or less.

Where do you live again?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
That would make it a short-barreled firearm and require a Class 3 stamp prior to the modification or else it's illegal. I highly recommend you consult the state and federal law regarding the modification you are considering, to avoid jail and a lengthy prison sentence. Even if it never leaves your house, if you ever had to use it, legally or otherwise, you would have no defense to prosecution federally.

Just posting that picture, whether it is real or a photoshop, can draw the attention of people you don't want looking your way.
the plan is to go the AOW route with it since its only $5 stamp.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

There is a lot of misinformation going around regarding carrying firearms in Texas. I highly suggest that everyone get in contact with an attorney, or a gun rights advocacy group as well as consult the state law regarding what you can carry and where, if you are unsure. Listening to advice from friends who have in turn been misinformed by rumor or a misunderstanding of the law can lead to your arrest.

Originally Posted by purple_lean
Texas state law say's you can carry a loaded hand gun in your vehicle as long as its concealed from plain sight.
It is important to realize that you can still be arrested for Unlawful Carry Weapon if you do not have a CHL, and you will have to show that you are included in the "non-applicability" section of the Penal Code after being arrested.

As long as you are lawfully allowed to own a firearm, are not commiting a felony, or under the influence of alchohol or drugs.
That's not correct. The law says that you can not be doing ANY crime, other than a Class C Misdemeanor traffic offense while carrying, or else it is UCW as quoted below:

"(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;"

That means that if you are racing, or committing reckless driving, or any other offense, you are illegally carrying a concealed weapon and will be arrested for UCW. Anything Class C that is not traffic related, or any Class B or higher.

It works for me because if I go out in public, i'll have my weapon in my vehicle anyways and most everywhere I go u can't take it inside anyways i.e. store, mall, bar blah blah.
Actually I can't remember the last place that my wife and I went that we weren't allowed to carry. We don't go to bars, so that's not a problem. 99%+ of businesses don't have legally posted 30.06 signs. And if they don't, it's legal to carry.

I don't want a CCW/CHL for the time being, damn government already has too much information on me anyways. (funny i still have to fill out the same retarted forms when I do my taxes and update my passport/drivers license)
Do you have a driver license? If so then the government already has everything about you that they would have if you got a CHL. Getting a CHL gives them no new information about you. So why don't you want to get one and completely avoid the possibility of being arrested?

I believe there is also a state law stating if you are traveling and crossing county lines, you can keep a loaded shotgun in the cab of your vehicle. I don't have a link though.
That is a rumor. There has never been a law in Texas mentioning traveling over a certain distance or number of county lines. Texas has never defined "traveling". It simply mentions "traveling" as a defense to prosecution and leaves it to the defense to argue whether their client was actually traveling or not.

But Texas also does not have any type of limit on rifles or shotguns being carried, as long as they are not displayed in a manner meant to alarm. So carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun anywhere in your vehicle is legal as long as you can legally own it.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a driver license? If so then the government already has everything about you that they would have if you got a CHL. Getting a CHL gives them no new information about you. So why don't you want to get one and completely avoid the possibility of being arrested?
did they start taking full sets of prints when you get a DL?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

The problem with the shotgun in general is its lack of precision and accurate shot placement. A 12 inch barrel only intensifies this problem. I'm not sure its the implement of choice for use in home defense. You'll end up shooting up your own s**t trying to kill a burglar. If the burglar happens to get ahold of a family member as a hostage, you definately have chosen the wrong tool for the job.
In public, you will have to account for every pellet fired in court. Consider that a 00 round is basically nine .32 rounds fired simultaniously. Anything but point blank is going to probably result in flyers with a scattergun.
FN makes a 5.7 pistol. All the terminal ballistics of a short barreled M-16, 20 round mag capacity, and total concealability. Same round as FN's P90 PDW. It has a built in rail for tac light so you can i.d./blind the person you've chosen to perforate. Low yield tactical ammo will minimize or totally eliminate collateral injuries through walls. Preload another mag with heavier rounds and keep it close. All in all, a nasty little bastard. I'm surprised more cops don't carry these.
Just thought I'd put this on the table cause I'd hate to see any of you guys get rolled up on BATF violation charges.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Teching In

LS1 Interceptor, I won't even bother quoting all what you wrote above because its a mile long haha. I agree with a few of your points. You are correct about the class C misdemeanor, thanks for reading my link. I was only making a reference to some specifics listed in code.

The burden of proof is on the government that I am a felon or that I am not allowed to legally purchase a firearm.

Alcohol and firearms don't mix.

I just don't feel that currently I need the extra responsibility of carrying a CHL. If I get pulled over, im not going to have my gun in my seat. It will be locked in the console, or glove box by the time I am on the side of the road. He will need probable cause to search my vehicle which he will not get or he will have get a warrant and then search and realize i am a law abiding citizen well within the limits of the rights granted to me by the 2nd ammendement and the great state of Texas.

wiki f-t-w

On March 27, 2007, Governor Rick Perry signed Senate Bill 378 into law, making Texas a "Castle Doctrine" state which came into effect September 1, 2007.[179] Residents lawfully occupying a dwelling may shoot a person who "unlawfully, and with force, enters or attempts to enter the dwelling", or who removes or attempts to remove someone from that dwelling, or who commits or attempts to commit a "qualifying" felony such as burglary, arson, rape, aggravated assault, robbery or murder. In addition, a shooter who has a legal right to be wherever he/she is at the time of a defensive shooting has no "duty to retreat" before being justified in shooting; the "trier of fact" may not consider whether the person retreated when deciding whether the person was justified in shooting.

Gov. Perry also signed HB1815, a bill that allows any Texas resident (21 or older) to carry a concealed handgun in the resident's motor vehicle without a CHL or other permit. Chapter 46, Section 2 of the Penal Code states that it is in fact not "Unlawful Carry of a Weapon" for a person to carry a weapon while in a motor vehicle they own or control, or to carry while heading directly from the person's home to that car. However, lawful carry while in a vehicle requires these three critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities; and (3) the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang