passing the FBI back ground check

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats rather odd.

Thats exactly the opposite of what we were told by the ATF field officer that comes by to audit us.

Are you buying new from a store or like a pawn shop or something?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased from 4 different mainstream stores. I had my record expunged when I turned 21 though.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Teching In

haha hey hey! I only did 6 months! Time to rock out with my **** outlets go buy some guns bitches!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I have purchased from 4 different mainstream stores. I had my record expunged when I turned 21 though.
way to with hold information! lol

Obviously if your record was expunged or with documentation from the state you wont have problems getting it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Pretty sure they do not take a juvenile record into account.
have to agree i think in most cases the record is sealed.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Ok, there are exceptions to every rule. So if you were convicted of a crime and did 2 years for it then got it expunged, does that mean that you were never convicted and did more then a year? NO! You still got convicted and still did more then a year, but now that it's expunged you can buy again.

Same thing when convicted as a juvinille. You were convicted but it doesn't count against you. All you have to do to end this stupid debate is call a gun range that does CHL classes. Tell them that in 1999 when you were 16 you got in trouble for a felony. Havn't had any trouble since. Only thing he's gonna say is have yo had a mistomeaner in the last 5 years. If you havn't you can even go get a CHL. If you've had a mistomeaner in the last 5 years you can't get a CHL only buy guns!

I understand what the paper says and have filled it out plenty of times. It means nothing to a juvinille!

Ask a lawyer or call a gun range!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Teching In

well calling up a gun store with something like this their always going to say no to cover their ***. Stuff like this needs to be researched which is one of my steps of researching was to ask all of you this isn't a dumb debate and I hope we all have learned a little something from this I'll see y'all at the range! And if you work at a gas station better keep your eyes open
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The gun store won't be able to answer your questions on whether or not you will pass NICS anyway. The worst thing that can happen is you get denied, it won't cost you
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Teching In

The gun store won't be able to answer your questions on whether or not you will pass NICS anyway. The worst thing that can happen is you get denied, it won't cost you
thats right, BUT

If you answer yes on the the yes and no part on anything but the first one or the last one, we dont even call it in.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Burninator
thats right, BUT

If you answer yes on the the yes and no part on anything but the first one or the last one, we dont even call it in.
oh yeah, i don't doubt it
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transam77
well calling up a gun store with something like this their always going to say no to cover their ***. Stuff like this needs to be researched which is one of my steps of researching was to ask all of you this isn't a dumb debate and I hope we all have learned a little something from this I'll see y'all at the range! And if you work at a gas station better keep your eyes open
I wasn't saying call a gun store, that's a given they will say no. Call a gun range that does CHL classes. They will give you a strait answer as an DPS certified CHL instructor knows his ****.

I understand why people would think you can't get it. I do. The thing is that paper does't say anywhere "unless it's been expunged" the same way it's not going to say " unless you were a juvinille ".

Just go get the gun, if you havn't had a mistameaner in 5 years get the CHL wihle your at it. That way the cop will show you mad respect when he comes up to the vehicle. At least that's what happens when my friends get pulled over.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blubox
That way the cop will show you mad respect when he comes up to the vehicle.
I dont understand your mentality.

You sound like my 12 year old cousin.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
01z
TECH Regular

does a class c mis demanor still bar you from getting a CHL?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Transam77, don't take free advice from me, even if I do have quite a bit of experience beyond having "purchased many handguns", but also don't take from some guy who "worked at a gun range and helped teach the chl class", which by the way means nothing since you can't "help teach" if you aren't a certified DPS instructor, that means he sat in on the class and watched.

Do yourself a favor and contact the NRA or a lawyer who specializes in firearms rights restoration. The NRA will talk to you for free even if you aren't a member and can put you in contact with the lawyer you need, and a lawyer will possibly give you a free consultation and explain your options for you. I believe you have a good chance at getting your record expunged due to your age and the amount of time that went by, especially if all you got was possession of a dangerous drug and no manufacture or deliver charge.

Take the advice in this thread for what it is, free advice given by a bunch of people you don't know. Seek professional help before you fill out any paperwork.

I've done time, twice. Once for felony explosives charges as a minor and once for street racing.

I buy a lot of guns with no problems.

Nope. But the felony charge I was convicted for was punishible 2-10
I knew this wasn't right. The street racing wouldn't affect your ability to buy firearms, depending on when you were arrest and whether it was a Class C or B at that time. But the explosives charge would. Then of course you added this:

........ I had my record expunged when I turned 21 though.
Which changes everything.

Originally Posted by blubox
That way the cop will show you mad respect when he comes up to the vehicle. At least that's what happens when my friends get pulled over.
Yep, don't get a CHL because you have the Constitutional right to bear arms or for your protection, do it so the cops will have "mad respect" for you. Carrying a gun so people will respect you is mature.

You noticed that too?

Originally Posted by 01z
does a class c mis demanor still bar you from getting a CHL?
No.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

When you take the class and carry a CHL you are takeing an outh to help a cop whenever he is in danger. So legally you cannot look away if a cop is in danger. Sorry the way I worded it sounded inmature. At the begining he was saying that the cops would always search his car. When they run his plates it will automatically come up that he has a CHL which lets them know you have never had an adult felony and that you have not had a mistameaner for 5 years. So although the comment didn't sound well thought out I know what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
Transam77, don't take free advice from me, even if I do have quite a bit of experience beyond having "purchased many handguns", but also don't take from some guy who "worked at a gun range and helped teach the chl class", which by the way means nothing since you can't "help teach" if you aren't a certified DPS instructor, that means he sat in on the class and watched.

Do yourself a favor and contact the NRA or a lawyer who specializes in firearms rights restoration. The NRA will talk to you for free even if you aren't a member and can put you in contact with the lawyer you need, and a lawyer will possibly give you a free consultation and explain your options for you. I believe you have a good chance at getting your record expunged due to your age and the amount of time that went by, especially if all you got was possession of a dangerous drug and no manufacture or deliver charge.

Take the advice in this thread for what it is, free advice given by a bunch of people you don't know. Seek professional help before you fill out any paperwork.

I knew this wasn't right. The street racing wouldn't affect your ability to buy firearms, depending on when you were arrest and whether it was a Class C or B at that time. But the explosives charge would. Then of course you added this:

Which changes everything.

Yep, don't get a CHL because you have the Constitutional right to bear arms or for your protection, do it so the cops will have "mad respect" for you. Carrying a gun so people will respect you is mature.

You noticed that too?

No.
By "helped" with the class I meant I would put all the targets up, move the targets to the right distance inbetween shooting, watch for fingers on the trigger, watch for misuse of handgun, take money, hand out material, help people with their firearm. AND MOST OF ALL, SIT AND WATCH!

When you take the class and carry a CHL you are takeing an outh to help a cop whenever he is in danger. So legally you cannot look away if a cop is in danger. Sorry the way I worded it sounded inmature. At the begining he was saying that the cops would always search his car. When they run his plates it will automatically come up that he has a CHL which lets them know you have never had an adult felony and that you have not had a mistameaner for 5 years. So although the comment didn't sound well thought out I know what I'm saying.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could always apply for a pardon:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec...exec_clem.html

From the research I did several months back for my brother, as long as you didn't get deferred adjudication, you may get lucky.

Quick Reply: passing the FBI back ground check